type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
Hello everyone,
I want to know what you use and your opinions.

If anyone's interested, I use Lantus pen once a day and NovoRapid 3 times a day.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most definitely a pen, had my fair share of using a syringe in my early days and wouldn't want to go back there again. Like you I inject Novo 3x and Lantus 1x.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Most definitely a pen, had my fair share of using a syringe in my early days and wouldn't want to go back there again. Like you I inject Novo 3x and Lantus 1x.
Nobelhead I've only used a pen a 75/25 mixture twice a day. My insurance will only pay for syringe and non-mixed insulin. I like the pen, but what is the practical difference between the two from your experience?

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I like the pen, but what is the practical difference between the two from your experience?

For me it's all about ease and convenience, with the pen you just load a 3ml cartridge and it lasts for weeks and you only have to change the needle each time that you inject, also with a pen like the Novopen Echo you have the added bonus of dialling insulin up in half units, the pen also has a memory function built in that shows you how much time has lapsed since you last injected and how many units you dialled. The small needles that are now available for the pens is also a plus and I use the smallest available which is the 4mm.

Syringes to me are old school and a bit like comparing bg meters to the Clinitest Urine kit I first used when diagnosed before bg meters became widely available, you can't change the needle and you have to draw up the insulin from insulin vials (although I appreciate some come pre-filled), plus they a less discreet compared to a pen which just looks like a bulkier version of a normal Biro.

Hope that explains things from my point of view.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I was still on your twice daily regime Burt, I wouldn't have a problem with using syringes - well, unless it was the old glass and metal ones we had to boil once a week. :eek: At least you would have the opportunity to give a correction dose of quick acting if needed, which you can't do with pre-mixed.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If I was still on your twice daily regime Burt, I wouldn't have a problem with using syringes - well, unless it was the old glass and metal ones we had to boil once a week. :eek: At least you would have the opportunity to give a correction dose of quick acting if needed, which you can't do with pre-mixed.

Rob, refresh my memory, what size needle were they that went on the glass syringes?

Tyronnster

Hello everyone,
I want to know what you use and your opinions.

If anyone's interested, I use Lantus pen once a day and NovoRapid 3 times a day.

Defo same

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
I also love my echo pen and as im knocking on a bit the memory function is perfect

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
I have tried both, and much prefer the pens! They are so much easier to use and carry with you. Plus, drawing up from a vial in public always feels rather odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
They were made by Gillett (razors) I still have one somewhere. The plastic luer connector was orange

Yes I remember those and the orange colour. Much prefer the pens, Novorapid x 3 and Levemir x 1, Levemir are disposable pens. .Like Noblehead,I wouldn't want to go back to syringeso_O

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have tried both, and much prefer the pens! They are so much easier to use and carry with you. Plus, drawing up from a vial in public always feels rather ...

My new health plan ( USA based) wanted to switch me of 75/25 pens to syringes because "only old people with poor eye sight and nerve damaged fingers use the pen".

What a joke. I had to complain and write a memo and pay the premium to keep the pen. I would never go back

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus and Novarapid pen here as well 5mm needles. I have only ever had this so don't know what anything else is like. But these are so easy, keep in fridge until needed then once on use no need to keep cold.

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
My new health plan ( USA based) wanted to switch me of 75/25 pens to syringes because "only old people with poor eye sight and nerve damaged fingers use the pen".

What a joke. I had to complain and write a memo and pay the premium to keep the pen. I would never go back
That's not right... You should tell your diabetes nurse.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
New to insulin and not used syringes.
Pens I find are very easy to use and convenient.
A mate of mine always uses syringes and never tried pens. Think he enjoys the funny looks he gets when injecting.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I always used syringes. I hated the pens with a vengeance. I always mixed my insulin in the syringe thus 3 injections a day rather than 5. Using a pump is loads better though :)

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
runner is under the USA health system..the one that makes the UK with all its flaws, look gold plated :)

For all we moan about the NHS in this country we are bloody lucky to have it.
How much it would cost us otherwise for care and treatment doesn't bare thinking about (in my opinion anyway)