Question for those on meds or insulin

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How soon after diagnosis were you prescribed medication/insulin?
I've been testing myself for the last couple of months (since diagnosis) and despite the best efforts in changing diet - numbers stay around 8 or 9. I've also put all the weight lost back on over Christmas and I've got my first diabetic clinic appt on Tuesday.
I'm worried that nurse is going to say I haven't made enough progress.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
when i was diagnosed type 2, i was put straight on medication
my first two blood test results were 32 and 29

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my diagnosis test after the glucose tolerance test was 13.
I just feel like I have been left to get on with it with no help or guidance and it's not been an easy journey so far.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Started on Metformin and Gliclazide then withdrawn from Metformin 3 years later and switched to Sitagliptin. Insulin user for one year now and numbers are better. Initial sugars were 25 mmol/l and over. Regular out of range "HI" readings and felt very ill.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been testing myself for the last couple of months (since diagnosis) and despite the best efforts in changing diet - numbers stay around 8 or 9. I've also put all the weight lost back on over Christmas and I've got my first diabetic clinic appt on Tuesday.

I have never been on any meds. They have never been mentioned. On diagnosis it depends how high your levels are. If your levels are high, you will get meds immediately. If your levels are within reasonable limits they like you to try diet and exercise for the first 3 months. If that isn't working, then meds are prescribed at that stage.

Have you sorted out a suitable reduced carb diet? Meds can help, but diet is the key to low sugar levels. Reduce the amount of sugar you eat (and remember carbs convert to sugar) and you should see lower levels. Can we help with your diet? Maybe if you tell us what you eat in a typical day we can give you some pointers.

Reactions: 4 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Started on Metformin and Gliclazide then withdrawn from Metformin 3 years later and switched to Sitagliptin. Insulin user for one year now and numbers are better. Initial sugars were 25 mmol/l and over. Regular out of range "HI" readings and felt very ill.
Pretty much the same as you accept was on forxiga as well. Nothing agreed with me so went onto insulin

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Pretty much the same as you accept was on forxiga as well. Nothing agreed with me so went onto insulin
I have less than half my colon left after surgery. Metformin should not have been prescribed after the operations but it was and made me really ill.

Disky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was put on Metformin as soon as the doc told me.

1st bloods were 19
2nd bloods were 16

Other reading (Hba thingy) was 94

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and my GP just followed the Nice guidelines. I was on 'sugar free' diet for three months, referred to dietician, then put on Metformin which was gradually increased. I did ok for the first few years but then had a particularly stressful time and my bg became very unstable. Other meds were gradually added and increased to no avail, then I started on insulin in July '14.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jellyb

I know that going on meds seems like a huge downward step, but the truth is that keeping your blood glucose down is the biggest priority.

If your problem is insulin resistance, then going onto Metformin might be a great move.

However, I'd like to repeat what @Bluetit1802 said, diet is the key for type 2s, and if we can offer any help...?

The figure of 8 that you mentioned, is that fasting, before meals, or 2 hours after?
And what are you typically eating, meal by meal?

I used to think I knew about LC, but since I've joined the forum I've learned a huge amount, and realise there is so much more to discover. I had no idea that I was eating hidden carbs (until I started testing properly) that there were certain foods that have ridiculously disproportionate effects on my BG.

Reactions: 7 people

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jellyb

I know that going on meds seems like a huge downward step, but the truth is that keeping your blood glucose down is the biggest priority.

If your problem is insulin resistance, then going onto Metformin might be a great move.

However, I'd like to repeat what @Bluetit1802 said, diet is the key for type 2s, and if we can offer any help...?

The figure of 8 that you mentioned, is that fasting, before meals, or 2 hours after?
And what are you typically eating, meal by meal?

I used to think I knew about LC, but since I've joined the forum I've learned a huge amount, and realise there is so much more to discover. I had no idea that I was eating hidden carbs (until I started testing properly) that there were certain foods that have ridiculously disproportionate effects on my BG.

Brunneria - figure is has been regularly 8 or 9 before meals with an occasional 7. After meals it has been between 8.5 and 11.5.
I think the problem is - I have listened to other people too much. My Inlaws are now both diabetic. She says she is Type 1 having previously been Type 2 and he is Type 2. We went there for a meal last night and he was drinking regular coca cola and both were quite happy to eat trifle although they were too full to eat any. I had previously asked for a small amount of ice cream. It seems like neither of them think that changing their diet in any way will help their health. I think this has affected my thinking and I need to go back to doing what I think is right and coming here for help and advice!

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria - figure is has been regularly 8 or 9 before meals with an occasional 7. After meals it has been between 8.5 and 11.5.
I think the problem is - I have listened to other people too much. My Inlaws are now both diabetic. She says she is Type 1 having previously been Type 2 and he is Type 2. We went there for a meal last night and he was drinking regular coca cola and both were quite happy to eat trifle although they were too full to eat any. I had previously asked for a small amount of ice cream. It seems like neither of them think that changing their diet in any way will help their health. I think this has affected my thinking and I need to go back to doing what I think is right and coming here for help and advice!

I had always read that icecream was a good option (so I chose it regularly :rolleyes:)
But when I got my meter, I tested
1 blob sent me up up by 3 or 4 mmol/l !!! :eek: Still better than trifle though!
I was horrified.
Haven't had bought icecream since.
:bigtears:
But I have learned to make home made berries and cream icecream, in the blender, in 5 mins.
:happy:
So every cloud... ;)

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Jellyb I agree you have to find your own way and ignore the advice of others if you think it is bad. Don't worry about criticism by your nurse either. If she had given you brilliant advice and you had ignored it...maybe, but I am guessing this is not the case here. You'll get there :)

Reactions: 7 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put straight on metformin - my fasting figure when I was diagnosed was 17.4 and my HbA1c was 107

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had always read that icecream was a good option (so I chose it regularly :rolleyes:)
But when I got my meter, I tested
1 blob sent me up up by 3 or 4 mmol/l !!! :eek: Still better than trifle though!
I was horrified.
Haven't had bought icecream since.
:bigtears:
But I have learned to make home made berries and cream icecream, in the blender, in 5 mins.
:happy:
So every cloud... ;)

Natural yoghurt and berries is my usual choice.
To make things worse.....OH phoned them to see if they had ice cream and was told yes. It was a frozen ice cream from Macdonalds!
I remember when I worked in an old people's home years ago, the only change for diabetics was they weren't given cakes. They were, however given ice cream and plenty of bread, ice cream, scones etc. At the time I only had a limited knowledge but I knew enough to know it wasn't only cake that affected them!
Diabetes-wise - I am so looking forward to going back to work and getting back into the usual food/exercise routine!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was succesfully controlling my diabetes with diet (from 6.8 at diagnosis to 5.8) and was then prescribed statins which caused my BS to increase to 7.2 and I was prescribed Sitagliptin. I had to come off the statins and my BS levels reduced again and I came off the Sitagliptin in August last year and since then my BS has been fairly stable between 5.0 and 6.0. Although it feels as though it is at the time it is not the end of the world to go onto medication particularly if your BS comes down to a sufficient level that you can try and come off them. Good luck with your next appt - you never know it might be better than you think!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a month I would cut the major carbs except non-starch veg and see if you can get your bloods down. If they are still high I would talk to the Dr. I'm pro drug and on metformin, so I think take whatever you need to get your bloods right, that's what is important at the end of the day.
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm