Hair going soooooo thin

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi new to all this was diagnosed a few months back basically told yeah your type 2 here's some metformin go lose some weight??? I'm trying but my question is about my hair just saw a photo of myself and realised how thin my hair has got!!! It's making me so upset I knew it was happening but it's got so bad on the metformin what should I do????

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi new to all this was diagnosed a few months back basically told yeah your type 2 here's some metformin go lose some weight??? I'm trying but my question is about my hair just saw a photo of myself and realised how thin my hair has got!!! It's making me so upset I knew it was happening but it's got so bad on the metformin what should I do????
Hi Kerri, the met won't cause hair loss. The main suspects are prolonged high blood sugars and or an underactive thyroid. If it's high blood sugars then once your numbers are down and in a normal range then things will improve. If a thyroid problem then again that will improve once levels are correct.

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm gonna go see the doctor again. It's really getting me down I'm sure my thyroid tested fine last time when the did my diabetes test. Thanks for the reply fingers crossed it sorts out soon.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
To close to the headboard ??
smiley-face-thatsit.gif

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hair seems to come out a lot more for last few months but I have just put it down to having long hsir now and never noticed the short strands going down the plug hole.

Even took a photo of the hait trapped in the hair catcher that I've had to buy for the pipework clogging up...sent it to friend with same length hair who actually said ahe lises about the same.
Never see hair carchers in other peoples baths or sinks though... Thats what got me wondering..

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hair seems to come out a lot more for last few months but I have just put it down to having long hsir now and never noticed the short strands going down the plug hole.

Even took a photo of the hait trapped in the hair catcher that I've had to buy for the pipework clogging up...sent it to friend with same length hair who actually said ahe lises about the same.
Never see hair carchers in other peoples baths or sinks though... Thats what got me wondering..

My poor plug hole blocks each time I shower it's awful I've even taking to only washing it twice a week to see if that helps.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too!!! Trying not to wash etc.. Only use a really wide comb for going through hair a couple times a day..

I have had it totally plain tho for 50 years, and now it is an unruly Alex Polizzi sort of style, so also wondered if the perm affected it... However, due to tbe Alex Polizzi style it doesn't matter if combed or not.. Now it's beautifully unruly when gardening...or not gardening!!

I didn't have a hair catcher until our bathroom started to sort of have a strange smell. Thought, why the heck is thst? Realised was bath plug/pipe and thought the only thing different is my hair. Not a whiff since the hair catcher. Literally have to empty it everytime, as by time finish showering hair it is so full up the water won't drain away.

Step sister sent me some vit tablets from Spain supposedly for hair... Not made an ounce of difference..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my hair got a lot thinner when I was taking metformin. I don't think it's on the list as a recognised side effect however if you google it you will find a lot of people have asked the same question. My blood sugars were fine and my thyroid has been checked as fine too. I believe it was the metformin, but I would like to still be taking it as it really helped with insulin resistance. Someone else on this forum said hers got better when she stopped taking metformin - sorry I can't find the post now.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine seems to have gone thinner to me on the Metformin .. Though maybe it just hasn't grown as much as it usually does between cuts so seems thinner ? Given it is given as a treatment for PCOS which involves hirsutism, I'm not surprised that it may have this effect on some folk.
If it really is upsetting you then see GP and ask to reduce dose or change meds. Other newer drugs such as Forziga might help.

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes my hair got a lot thinner when I was taking metformin. I don't think it's on the list as a recognised side effect however if you google it you will find a lot of people have asked the same question. My blood sugars were fine and my thyroid has been checked as fine too. I believe it was the metformin, but I would like to still be taking it as it really helped with insulin resistance. Someone else on this forum said hers got better when she stopped taking metformin - sorry I can't find the post now.

Mines was going a bit thinner before I got diagnosed thought it was all the hair dying I did but once on the metformin it just seems to get heaps worse.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

There are links between oestrogen dominance, progesterone issues and thinning hair (obviously just in women). Women's hormones shuffle about and start declining in their 30s, long before menopause. And if you have PCOS or are overweight (I have no idea if this is relevant to you!) then hair can start to thin from that age onwards.

In my case, my hair was going drier and crinkly, on the top of the head, but it resolved when I received treatment for out of wack hormones. The hair was never bad enough to send me to the docs, while the hormone shenanigans was, but I was tremendously relieved when the hair thickened up again.

I encourage you to go to the doc and ask for a referral, if they are unhelpful. The sooner these things are diagnosed/treated, the easier it is for hair to thicken up.

(There's a book I read about this about 15 yes ago, when it happened to me, called What your doctor may not tell you about menopause. I've just looked on Amazon, and it was reprinted and updated in 2005. Well worth a read, even if you are still a long way from menopause age)

Reactions: 2 people

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine seems to have gone thinner to me on the Metformin .. Though maybe it just hasn't grown as much as it usually does between cuts so seems thinner ? Given it is given as a treatment for PCOS which involves hirsutism, I'm not surprised that it may have this effect on some folk.
If it really is upsetting you then see GP and ask to reduce dose or change meds. Other newer drugs such as Forziga might help.

I'm totally going to see doc asap cos seeing this today brought me to tears my hair looks so thick and full to the back an all. Thanks for the advice.

Karribunkle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So
Hi,

There are links between oestrogen dominance, progesterone issues and thinning hair (obviously just in women). Women's hormones shuffle about and start declining in their 30s, long before menopause. And if you have PCOS or are overweight (I have no idea if this is relevant to you!) then hair can start to thin from that age onwards.

In my case, my hair was going drier and crinkly, on the top of the head, but it resolved when I received treatment for out of wack hormones. The hair was never bad enough to send me to the docs, while the hormone shenanigans was, but I was tremendously relieved when the hair thickened up again.

I encourage you to go to the doc and ask for a referral, if they are unhelpful. The sooner these things are diagnosed/treated, the easier it is for hair to thicken up.

(There's a book I read about this about 15 yes ago, when it happened to me, called What your doctor may not tell you about menopause. I've just looked on Amazon, and it was reprinted and updated in 2005. Well worth a read, even if you are still a long way from menopause age)

I'm overweight and trying to lose more don't think I've got PCOS but do have a family history of early menopause. will look into it further doctors getting phoned for an appointment in the morning.

N

NicolaB70

I have long hair and use a hair trap too and have to empty it every time after showering. As for my hairbrush, well, that needs doing every other day, sometimes daily. It may sound gross but I once kept the hair I pulled from my brush in a small bag for two weeks just to see how much there was. I was quite shocked to see how much there was tbh.

I've had thyroid problems for many years now with no hair loss problems, it's only since i was diagnosed with T2 (June '13) and started met that it's started to fall out. My hair was very thick but now it's very thin, limp and I have a couple of small bald spots. I try not to let it get me down but sometimes I get really down about it

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I have long hair and use a hair trap too and have to empty it every time after showering. As for my hairbrush, well, that needs doing every other day, sometimes daily. It may sound gross but I once kept the hair I pulled from my brush in a small bag for two weeks just to see how much there was. I was quite shocked to see how much there was tbh.

I've had thyroid problems for many years now with no hair loss problems, it's only since i was diagnosed with T2 (June '13) and started met that it's started to fall out. My hair was very thick but now it's very thin, limp and I have a couple of small bald spots. I try not to let it get me down but sometimes I get really down about it

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Karribunkle - I've been losing a lot of hair too. My GP has sent me for more blood tests and I'm going tomorrow for the results. I'm hoping it's physical and curable rather than stress. But it's very worrying! My latest Hba1c is 31 and I've been on Metformin since diagnosis 6 months ago. I've gone down 4 clothes sizes - and I understand that weight loss can cause hair loss too. It's a vicious circle trying to do what's right for your blood sugar and also trying to look "normal".

Let's hope we all get a happy outcome.

In the meantime, you might want to try V05's Plump It Up spray. Put it on your dry hair and it will coat it to make it twice as thick.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.
I'm type 1 and was diagnosed my blood sugars were 28. When I started insulin my hair was coming out a lot in the shower. It could be that ur body is readjusting to good sugar levels again.
Mine is getting thicker again on top now :)
Keep up with keeping ur BG down and if u r like me eventually u'll get back to normal

mescott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the same boat have read lots of literature trying caffeine shampoo at present i am also on Atorovastatin .I lost all my hair when i had chemo 10Yrs ago my hair grew back and was in good condition untill my diabetes and high cholesterol diagnosis