Unable to have induction hob with insulin pump

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I never though my diabetes would effect me buying kitchen appliances but here you go, I just looked at a neff induction hob where it states has electro magnetic field. Just out of curiosity looked it up for insulin pumps and lots of sites saying shouldn't use. Has anyone had issues with there induction hobs??

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The same applies to microwaves if you read your pump manual :) Obviously I don't read so don't have a problem.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well I never though my diabetes would effect me buying kitchen appliances but here you go, I just looked at a neff induction hob where it states has electro magnetic field. Just out of curiosity looked it up for insulin pumps and lots of sites saying shouldn't use. Has anyone had issues with there induction hobs??

Got a neff induction. (Superb by the way). But did not realise until it was put in and reading instructions that it shouldn't be used with a pump.

I still use it and stand by it etc and as far as I know my pump is fine. Mind you, my using it is pretty rare to be honest as hubby does 99% of cooking. The only thing I do is probably boil eggs occasionally on it. If hubby is cooking he generally clears me out the kitchen anyway.....

I don't make a point of avoiding it. As hob is used so little it is turned off at the mains when not in use.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

The EM field could affect the pump, and the pump control.either over pumping, or stalling out.
It depends on the pump technology, distance from the hob, even the type of pan on the hob, and the amount of power you're using will have a varying affect on the field possibly affecting the pump.

So, could be better to avoid it if you can.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The EM field could affect the pump, and the pump control.either over pumping, or stalling out.
It depends on the pump technology, distance from the hob, even the type of pan on the hob, and the amount of power you're using will have a varying affect on the field possibly affecting the pump.

So, could be better to avoid it if you can.

Oh, I've used this as an excellent method to get my hubby to do the cooking... Worked out very successfully -lol!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for posting this, it didn't even cross my mind. Used one the other week but thankfully no bad effects, guess I should keep well clear from now on.

Jo123

Interesting, I am having my kitchen redone, and have decided not to have one as my mum has a pacemaker and they are a complete no no with these!

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
I moved into a rented house that already had an induction hob (it's brilliant). I disconnect my pump and leave it off while I cook. I tend not to make complicated meals so it's not off for long and I've not noticed any problems with my levels by doing this. If I ever think it's been off for a significant time I would add on half or one unit when I dish up to cover what I might have missed. The magnetic field has been suggested to cause problems and I don't want to risk breaking my pump. (Oh, and hubby always shouts 'hob on' if he's doing the cooking haha)