A cold

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here we go again sick days, iv'e got a cold right now as usual with a cold my blood sugars spike over 20.0 iv'e increased my insulin as usual, any other tips for sick days?

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my personal experience theres nothing you can do while sick except increase your insulin, Your body is just trying to fight the cold and theres not alot you can do with that. If youre taking any other medication like something for the cold make sure the sugar content is too high because some cold remedies are stupidly sugary for their energy but other than that in my personal experience its just live it out until it goes! Hope you feel better soon! :) x

Reactions: 2 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Here we go again sick days, iv'e got a cold right now as usual with a cold my blood sugars spike over 20.0 iv'e increased my insulin as usual, any other tips for sick days?

When I'm cold I turn the heating up!
Only just started insulin so as clueless if not more than you sorry :(

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Test blood glucose hourly at the least, test for ketones regularly, drink lots of fluids, however ill you feel keep testing and adjusting., try to rest as much as possible. Levels of 20 are just too high, bugs unrelated to your cold will also thrive and grow in the sugary body environment and as a result you may have other problems after the cold resolves. - in my experience of 35 years of Type one, i find that colds and infections are a major problem which becomes more of a problem over time, this is not much discussed .
P.S. Watch for the sudden drop or drops in blood glucose levels as you begin to recover,these can be very dangerous as you can be extra insulin sensitive for a short while, however do not assume you are out of the woods, there may be a final spike as your weakened immune system fails to clear things completely and has to try again. Keep safe. Best Wishes.

Reactions: 7 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As already mentioned, keep warm and get plenty of rest and be careful of the cough and cold mixtures and lozenges on sale for colds, because they are often too sugary for us diabetics. Sugar free varieties are available, ask the pharmacist if you don't feel up to trawling through them. Drink enough water. I hope you feel better soon. ;)

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my cold since Christmas Day and still coughing, sneezing and feeling rough - any ideas?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you're following sick day rules then the only other recommendation I have is paracetamol. It helps relieve the symptoms. Just about everything else is useless.

Even with a cold, more than 20 is extremely high, have you also increased your basal?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had my cold since Christmas Day and still coughing, sneezing and feeling rough - any ideas?

Snap.. Xmas eve....so looking forward to staying in bed a full night without having to get up and go outside!

Nothing else stops the coughing except sitting outside in our courtyard.. Wven with bedroom windows open to try and get fresh air in the house.

Think we just have to let it rum its course. I hot chloraseptic spray to spray on back of throat, other than that just the flu/cold tablets...

It just bugs me (ha ha) that we take longer to get over viruses that persons that havent got D..