FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw some ppl in the Facebook group talking about the second skin thing. Looks worthy a go. Maybe we should all try it just to have a break from the glue

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw some ppl in the Facebook group talking about the second skin thing. Looks worthy a go. Maybe we should all try it just to have a break from the glue
Which is the FB group? Looks like there are a couple at least.

Ta!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done some reading around this today. I'm pretty sure it is Allergic Contact Dermatitis. The main thing that struck me about the condition is that it has two stages - the sensitisation stage and the reaction stage. Apparently, as soon as you put something on your skin that your body sees as a threat, it can trigger this condition.

The sensitisation stage can be anything from a few hours to several years. This is the stage where your body decides it will not tolerate the 'threat' and starts putting measures in place to deal with it - building up antibodies etc ready to neutralise the threat. In this stage everything can seem OK. As this stage gives way to the reaction stage, you can start to see faint marks on the skin and maybe some itchiness. If you continue to use the thing your body is trying to rid itself of, the skin reaction occurs and makes it seem like you have suddenly become allergic to something you have been using successfully previously - sometimes for several years. Apparently this is why people think they've suddenly become allergic to their favourite perfume etc. In reality, it isn't sudden. It has been identified by our bodies as a threat almost from the start and our bodies have just been building their ability to neutralise it.

Unfortunately, this pretty much describes the situation I've had with the Libre. Sensors 1 - 3 no problems at all. Sensor 4 a little itchiness in the final few days and a slight crescent-shaped red mark when it was removed. (Which is now really itchy 3 weeks later BTW!) and sensor 5 KABOOM! full-on skin reaction. Sensor 6 seems OKish at the moment, but the crescent shape from sensor 4 which is right next to it has flared up badly and is really itchy.

I've ordered some barrier wipes today to see if I can prevent the issue. I think anyone who has had even a faint reaction should start trying to protect the area from further damage.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Hi Smidge, could you post a link of the webshop with the wipes..just in case...

Like for the research efforts not for the facts itself obviously:s

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all again.

For those who have had "sensors fail" or die - what happens?

Mine currently has 4 days left but refuses to scan. Tried turning it off and on, connecting it to computer, re-charging...no matter what I do it won't pick up the sensor. Anyone experienced this?

I just wonder if something is up with the reader. From when I first got it the reader often won't pick up the sensor the first go. I usually have to hit the button again then press "scan sensor" on the screen a second time and then it picks it up.

But right now, it is useless in my arm as cannot be scanned no matter how many times I do this...

Thanks,
J

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS - also for those who have had to contact Abbott about this - what number did you use? This one - 008000 - 2255 232 or a different one? I had to leave a message I guess as it is Saturday. Did anyone use email as well/alternatively?

Thanks,
Joe

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS - also for those who have had to contact Abbott about this - what number did you use? This one - 008000 - 2255 232 or a different one? I had to leave a message I guess as it is Saturday. Did anyone use email as well/alternatively?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe, the best number to call is 0500 467 466 but this is Monday to Friday only I'm afraid. It does sound like you have a sensor issue, is it giving an error message on the scanner?

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. I was phoning the number on the Freestyle website:

http://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/help-center.html

But I did see that 0500 one on the Abbott website, perhaps I will try that Monday.

There are no error messages per se, just simply it has the "scan sensor" screen and I am trying and trying, multiple times and it just times out on the monitor saying "Scan Timeout. The Sensor was not found. Scan the sensor again."

So this suggests to me either:
1) The sensor has failed completely and lost the ability to communicate with the reader
or
2) There is a fault in the NFC of the reader.

Thanks,
J

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy,

But I did see that 0500 one on the Abbott website, perhaps I will try that Monday.

There are no error messages per se, just simply it has the "scan sensor" screen and I am trying and trying, multiple times and it just times out on the monitor saying "Scan Timeout. The Sensor was not found. Scan the sensor again."

1) The sensor has failed completely and lost the ability to communicate with the reader
or

Thanks,
J
No problem, the I have called the 0500 number several times and always get a quick response. I would say your sensor has failed :-(

iHs

Through having a search on google for cgm skin rash, there was a mention of spraying the skin with a steroid used for asthma I think to dampen down the allergy response. Look on SUM website for more details.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy,

or

Thanks,
J

I think when the sensor fails you get something like 'no active sensor found, activate new sensor' and you don't have the left hand option 'check glucose'

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg
All,
My blog has been linked on some kind of pharmacutical consipercy theory forum. I could trace it back from the referral link.
They're saying that if glucose measuring products don't meet a certain accuracy once on sale they may have to be recalled and sales stopped!
This could be why they were taken off general sale? I doubt they'll put them back up until the bugs are fixed.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I think we're pretty close to a recall notice being issued. I've seen test meters recalled for far less inaccuracy than the Libre is showing on occasions. I think the skin allergic reactions that now seem fairly widespread across the internet might well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

To put this in perspective, I woke in the early hours this morning with an awful headache and felt like I had a migraine starting. I grabbed the Libre out of habit and scanned at 3.9 and a horizontal arrow - a level I would definitely correct overnight, but not one I would hurry with or worry about unduly. I just didn't feel well though so I got my Mobile and did a BG test - 1.9! I drank half a mixer can of Coke very quickly and was OK, but that could have been serious. At a genuine 3.9 I might have just gone for some slower acting carb and gone back to sleep - especially as I thought it was the start of a migraine. Really, as much as I like the Libre, I don't think missing a hypo like that makes it fit for purpose. I've been testing a lot more today than I have recently, because I just don't trust the Libre to give accurate readings when it matters. I know I'll rebuild confidence in it in time, but how many times can this happen before it gets a recall notice? When it's good it's really good, but overall it is just too random to rely on.

On a more positive note, I seem to have stopped the awful itching I've had for the last few days on the site of sensor number 4 and started visible healing the site of sensor number 5. While I was up dealing with the hypo this morning, the itchiness was very bad, so I diluted some hydrogen peroxide and applied to the sensor sites on some cotton wool. The itchiness stopped almost instantly and hasn't returned at all today. I can only assume it has properly cleansed the area of any remaining adhesive residue and killed any bacteria or infection. Obviously, I can't clean under sensor number 6 so it doesn't solve th problem, but it at least seems to alleviate the symptoms.

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Unlikely to be recalled inless people are reporting the problems to the MHRA website...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too wouldn't trust it now not to finger prick, unless the sensor proves itself for a week.

the saying "why prick when you can scan" is rather misleading.

I still love it when it works though. Hopefully they can iron out these kinks, but reading that forum I'm not so sure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the issue here is that they've released it with a MARD rating that is about 20% and all the literature deliberately avoids the use of the term Blood Glucose Monitor. It is only ever described as Glucose Monitoring and takes great pains to make that clear. I'm not certain of the legals of it but I'm pretty sure that the reason for this is to circumvent the requirements that are currently in place for the accuracy of a Blood Glucose Monitor.

I don't know what is true of CGMs, but to my mind, it comes back to a point I've made before, which is that these aren't Bgms and we need to treat them slightly differently, even if our habits and belief system in relation to monitoring make that difficult.

I'm not sure that contact dermatitis from adhesives would even figure in the conversation as it is something that is known to occur with pump sets and cgm sensors.

The statement relating to fingerpricking is rather misleading though, especially where extreme levels are showing (up and down) however, one might also argue that, certainly for hypos, Abbott have again covered that with some of the statements relating to fast moving and very low levels.

As such, I wouldn't expect a recall as they aren't generally breaking the terms and operating standards that they have laid out. Whether that is a good thing is up to you to decide.