Depression and diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in September as type 1 but still in he honeymoon period, lately though my blood sugars are getting harder to control, I've been taking my usual doses at mealtimes but then most times having to do a correction dose of at least 3 units. My blood sugars have been in the twenties a lot, I've haven't had them this high previously only if I've had too much lucozade when having a hypo.
It's really scaring me.. To the point where I just don't think I can do it anymore. I know people say you control it, don't let it control you but it really is controlling my life. I'm constantly tired, moody and upset, along with spending a lot of my time peeing. It's really getting me down, and no idea what to do.

Sorry for being depressive, I should be happy for the new year and new start and all that jazz but I'm really struggling to just pretend I'm happy around people now

Any tips would be helpful

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you need to correct after food then you require a higher bolus. I wouldn't let it get you down, just contact your DSN or consultant to find out what you should do.
If you are finding you always have to correct by 3 units after a meal, it could be that your bolus should have been 3 units higher. Personally I would never increase by that amount but would start low and work up - but I am insulin sensitive and have learned through experience not to make large changes.

If you are unable to contact your DSN until Monday, try raising each bolus by 1 unit to see if it makes a difference. It could be your basal also should be increased.

Do you adjust your bolus according to the amount of carbs you eat? If not, maybe you've been eating more than usual but just taking your usual bolus.

If you haven't done a carb counting and insulin adjustment course, ask your DSN about it, you'll find it very useful.

Good luck, just try not to worry too much. You will get over this and you will get back to having good blood sugar levels.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It sounds as though you are reaching that point that every T1 goes through, where your honeymoon comes to an end. This is when the amount of insulin that your body produces reduces to a level where you are wholly dependent on what you inject.

This is completely normal and not something to worry about, especially if you haven't changed what you are eating and haven't been and aren't ill.

Echoing what dancer said:

You will need to start increasing insulin amounts. I'd suggest the best thing to do would be to talk to your Diabetes care team and seek advice from them as soon as you can. You are likely to need to increase both basal and bolus insulin levels so that each constitutes about 50% of your total daily dosage.

If you can't get hold of them, and if you feel confident doing it, you can increase insulin amounts, however you will need to check your blood glucose levels regularly as you do this to ensure that you are not going into hypos. Normally increasing by single unit amounts at a time will see a progressive reduction to your levels.

It is very important that you speak to your diabetes team though, especially if you are not comfortable with making changes.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with what's been said, you do need to keep in contact with your diabetes team and make them aware that your having problems, they will advise you and help you deal with your current problems.

However the first rule is to start with your basal insulin and make sure that is set at the correct dose, without doing so you will never get good bg control, to do a basal check have a read of the following:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Once you get the basal dose right you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio, as dancer says put your name down for a carb counting course, they normally insist that you've been diagnosed 6 months before enrolling on the course but the waiting lists are long, so getting your name down now is sensible.

If you want to know what a carb counting course is all about have a look at the following, it's an on-line version of the DAFNE course and by all accounts its very good:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am doing carb counting and using the carbs and cals book. So I'm doing it as accurately as possible but still my blood sugars are ridiculously high.
For example, I tested my blood before tea it was 16.5 so I've bolused for what I've eaten and taken 3 extra units to correct(as I've been told 1 unit of insulin lowers bs by 3) I've tested nearly 2 hours later and it's 22.3!
I've been on such low doses as my body has been helping me out but now it's got nothing left. I'm seeing the dietician on Monday so hopefully she will get my diabetic nurse to take a look if she's in.
Is there any chance my body is rejecting the insulin I'm injecting?

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do ask to see the DSN while you are there.
It's not that your body is rejecting the insulin, your requirements for injected insulin are higher because your body is producing less and less as the honeymoon period comes to an end. It does seem scared when you are used to injecting small amounts to start to need what seems like enormous doses :eek:

Actually the doses you will need will not be that large, it's just comparative ;) It sounds as if your regime now needs an overhaul starting with basal adjustments and possibly different ratios at different times of the day. Your DSN should take you through this, and you WILL be back on track :)

On a positive note, many people have said that they are glad when the honeymoon period ends, as their control becomes more stable once the ratios etc have been sorted. It's the transition stage which is rockyand hard to deal with. This will pass.;)

Good luck with your appointment , and keep us updated.

Signy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off you need knowledge and confidence to change your own doses.

As your levels are high pre meal it is actually probably a combination of basal and bolus thats too low.

As a rule of thumb if your levels are too high or low 2-3 hours after a meal then its you bolus. Other times of highs or lows indicates that its your basal.

Yes, it is **** hard initially but it will improve... You need to speak to your care team on a regular basis, even by phone.. Its not necessary for appointments...

Please speak to your team. Don't struggle by yourself. Diabetes is manageable but needs some practice.. You'll get there...