my pump appointment

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello people, i had my appointment today after 6 months of waiting to see if i could go on the insulin pump and i was accepted its going to be a little while yet as they said it will be after xmas in the new year, they said i will have to have a bit of training for the pump before i go on the pump. but hopefully it sorts my bloods out once and for all. i have struggled to keep my blood sugars under control for a while trying different methods and treatments but now the ball is rolling i feel much better in my self . I would also like to thank this website for the support that was needed when i was down i feel like this has helped me alot for the short time ive been on here thanks people.:)

Reactions: 4 people

CamG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pump doesn't mean no more work, but it is incredibly effective! There are specific pump options that have software that'll chart your numbers on an iPhone...Ive found this to be very helpful, and I'd look into that for sure! Best of luck man, congrats on the new stage of bettered health!

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
exciting times ahead...........

the pump will make life a lot easier..........

by the sounds of it you are already knee deep in trying to get good control so you wont be a stranger to hard work..............its not really hard work after years and years of it though.......

good luck when the time comes..........:)

Niecie

That's great! I found the carbs and cals book/ app was and still is a big help I queried about the pump in June got accepted oct told would be new year before would get but had a call 2 wks ago and I went live yesterday :) very pleased with dramatic impact which I never thought would happen ! Good luck keep us informed x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck badbrogs21, hope it all goes well:)

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what they said to me should be in the new year hope they start me soon

Kjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After years of going backwards and forwards from one clinic to another it now seems despite all the adjustments I have made, the only way forward is a pump.
I have heard of them but really didn't want one after nearly 25 years as a type one diabetic and knowing my control no matter what I do is all over I was scared, am scared anyhow nothing I can do now, seeing diabetic nurse again on 16th January and will get date for pump fitting.
The things that worry me after more than half my life being diabetic is the change, the wires, inserting the cannula and where to put pump when wearing a dress and sleeping as I fidget.
Anyone who has changed from multiple injections to a pump with any advise please ?
I have read lots of information since leaving hospital and do see it being more positive than negative and the chance to feel "cured" as was said in one review, would be amazing.
Have done everything possible, tried different insulins, different pens, different testers, done Daphne, test often, control my diet, swapped clinics, spoken to their diabetics but still suffer regular hypos and occasional hypers no explanations.
Happy new year.

Kjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Niece how's it going?
Was meant to reply to you , never managed to get on here before despite reading often.
Am very computer illiterate.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The things that worry me after more than half my life being diabetic is the change, the wires, inserting the cannula and where to put pump when wearing a dress and sleeping as I fidget.
Anyone who has changed from multiple injections to a pump with any advise please ?
I have read lots of information since leaving hospital and do see it being more positive than negative and the chance to feel "cured" as was said in one review, would be amazing.
Have done everything possible, tried different insulins, different pens, different testers, done Daphne, test often, control my diet, swapped clinics, spoken to their diabetics but still suffer regular hypos and occasional hypers no explanations.
Happy new year.[/QUOTE]

It won't take too long to get used to the tubing - I had a few "almosts" when it got caught on door handles or my hand but nothing drastic happened. I stopped wearing the pump on my waistband after it was almost knocked off during a dance lesson. Now I always wear it clipped to my bra (between boobs on underwired bra) as I feel it's a lot safer there (I dance a lot!)

At night I wear it clipped to my nightie but some others, who don't use nightwear, let the pump lie there beside them and say it's always OK - I've never done that, especially on holiday when the floors aren't carpeted. Some pumps don't seem to have a clip - I don't know which ones but I use the Medtronic Veo.

Changing from MDI to the pump is fine because you'll have support. You'll probably run high for a few days until basals are sorted. Your carb ratio will probably stay the same.

There are different types of cannula and some are easier to insert than others but you do get used to it. It can hurt a little when the introducer needle is inserted, but no different from using pens. Occasionally (but not often) the cannula hurts - if it still hurts after an hour that's a sign you need to change it.

I wouldn't be without my pump and wish I'd managed to get one sooner. Good luck on the 16th!

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my appointment tomorrow about the pump hopefully they give me a date

Niecie

Hi Kjh, things are going good thank you, few ups and downs with sugar highs but nothing cant handle still feelinv v happy that ive made the switch , any news you end? Just read your post on concerns : the actual fitting is very easy its basically one needle every 3 days its one sharp scratch my 1st day ( whe went to be fitted) i literally sat there 10mins too scared i practised lots on a pillow but when actually did it it was a big relief i couldnt quite understand why i was so scared! The wire itself is very small you can hide if anywhere , you can also hide the pump in your bra! Myself ive not worn a dress for a very kong time ( conciuos ) but recently went to pump ckinic and there was a lady who was weaing a dress yo couldng nt see the pump as she had it in her bra! As for night time at the mo i hang it on neckline of a nightie but i was given a waist strap and a leg strap for when neded ( ie it gets hot! ) my concerns for the pump was 1 being able to shower 2 contact with partner 3 the pump bei g bulky 4 would i cope witb the change 5 working in the environment i do ( with young children) would if be safe! Ie would it easily be knocked or could the tubing etc pulled , the 1st 2 are instantly eliminated as you can out the pump on standby for upto an hour, the bulkiness is certainly minor i wear trousers for work ( i work with young children in playgroup and nursery) also i was injecting 6x daily , my advice would be please dont be scsred i really think youll be pleasantly surprised ive been diabetic fir 36 year and for me it really has been life changing If you do try and you dont like you dont HAVE to have it good luck keep us informed :) xx

Last edited by a moderator:

iHs

Pumps are not that big and can easily be put in the centre of a bra (the lycra tv channel bras are great and are available in lots of markets and shops at cheap prices). Infusion sets are no more painful than inserting a 5mm pen needle and are easy with an insertion device. The tubes come in various lengths but are very thin so not really a problem as they can be tucked in knickers. They are very life changing and will only be able to control bg levels ok by testing frequently and adjusting the settings correctly

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well guys I had my appointment and I didn't no I had to do so much work they told me there's two options option 1 was to do an advance carb counting course for 5 days 9th till 5 which includes taking my blood every 2 hours from 8am till midnight then at 3 of clock recording every think I eat drink carbs time date exercise emotion level etc. Option 2 . Go back on to lantus and split my does but I have really bad sights so extra injections a day wouldn't go well really. I'd still have to do the course and everything it involves.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Well guys I had my appointment and I didn't no I had to do so much work they told me there's two options option 1 was to do an advance carb counting course for 5 days 9th till 5 which includes taking my blood every 2 hours from 8am till midnight then at 3 of clock recording every think I eat drink carbs time date exercise emotion level etc. Option 2 . Go back on to lantus and split my does but I have really bad sights so extra injections a day wouldn't go well really. I'd still have to do the course and everything it involves.

Hi @badbrogs21

Doing the course may seem like a lot at the moment - especially where work pressures come in, but not doing it is a short-term, time-saving exercise to years of erratic BGs and the development of complications.

I was put on a pump in 2005, but in those days there was no course or training of any sort except by the pump supplier's sales rep who simply taught me how to operate it!

How I paid for it and how I regret not having access to more training about T1... the pump technology and newer meds don't solve the issues that cause erratic control, they only provide a better, more accurate way of living life as a T1 so that you (/we) can live healthier and happier lives.

Education in the basics is absolutely essential, because without it you effectively spend time trying to drive whilst blindfolded.

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @badbrogs21

Doing the course may seem like a lot at the moment - especially where work pressures come in, but not doing it is a short-term, time-saving exercise to years of erratic BGs and the development of complications.

I was put on a pump in 2005, but in those days there was no course or training of any sort except by the pump supplier's sales rep who simply taught me how to operate it!

How I paid for it and how I regret not having access to more training about T1... the pump technology and newer meds don't solve the issues that cause erratic control, they only provide a better, more accurate way of living life as a T1 so that you (/we) can live healthier and happier lives.

Education in the basics is absolutely essential, because without it you effectively spend time trying to drive whilst blindfolded.
I'm great full for it but I keep thinking what if I mess up. I really would love to just live a normal life like I no I don't try as hard as I am at the moment it's just really complicated

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You got one life.... So as much as you are probably just thinking about your immediate future.... Don't. You got to think of long term as well!

You need a course. Do it. No matter what. You need it whether you go to a pump or not.

If your (i think I read this right!) eyesight is bad then a pump may be difficult too. The new Insight pump is the best for enlarging text and screen colours and brightness etc.. But the controls and settings of a pump have to be managed a lot more than mdi.
Eyesight for a pump settings etc is an important consideration.

Whats wrong with 2 basal injections rather than 1? Same equipment, same amount of time etc...if you can manage to do one a day, what diffeence does having to do 2 make?