VILDAGLIPTIN

unabarr1

Hello
does anyone take Vildagliptin, I have just started on this drug, its very new and works to drive down my blood sugar levels.Seems to work so far.
Una

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Una.
Vildagliptin came out in 2008. so far with good results. Are you taking this on it's own or with Metformin ? there may be others on here who can vouch for it's efficacy ?

Here is what we know about the drug and it's effects.
Vildagliptin is a new oral antidiabetic agent that enhances pancreatic islet cell responsiveness to glucose. An extensive clinical program involving approximately 22,000 patients and 7000 patient-years of exposure to vildagliptin has shown that the agent is well tolerated and efficacious in improving glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Monotherapy trials have shown that significant HbA1c lowering is accompanied by body weight-neutral and lipid-neutral effects, low risk of edema, and low risk of hypoglycemia. These characteristics make vildagliptin a favorable partner for combination therapy. Studies of vildagliptin as an add-on to metformin have shown significant improvements in glycemic control (comparable to that of thiazolidinedione add-on), with the combination being well tolerated and associated with low risks for hypoglycemia and adverse effects on weight or lipid levels. Good tolerability and clinically relevant improvements in glycemic control have also been observed with vildagliptin as an add-on treatment to sulfonylurea, thiazolidinedione, or insulin treatment or in initial combination treatment with pioglitazone. Improved β-cell function and glycemic control have been shown with vildagliptin in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance and in T2DM patients with mild hyperglycemia, with some evidence in the latter suggesting the potential for modifying disease course.

Hope this helps ?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Una,

I seems that Vildagliptin was only licenced for use in the UK some time between May and July 2008, and I think you are the first forum member to use it, so please keep us updated on how you get on with it.

unabarr1

Thank you Cugila, for the useful info, I am taking the vildagliptin as metformin is not enough to keep control of the sugar levels. I was a bit disturbed at first, like once I could manage the sugar levels and now I cant. Anyway read about it on the internet, made by Novartis, and questioned my GP in depth before starting to take it. My diabetic nurse had said she would discuss my problem with my GP and contact me with their thoughts , however, all I got was a phone call from the surgery to say pick up your prescription.....I dont think so..Okay well so far my early morning level has come down from double figures, as high as 18.4 one day, to below 10 and goes down during the day. Thanks again for your help
Una

unabarr1

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your reply. Will keep any interested parties informed. One thing my GP said was this was the new placement for glicazides, which I have not taken, and there is report of weight-gain with them...hooray.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Una,

I think your GP was perhaps trying to blind you with his great knowledge! Vildagliptin is not in any way a replacement for a sulphonylurea (e.g. gliclazide) because it works in a completely different way. I'll risk boring you with the explanation, but I won't be offended if you nod off before the end!!

Vildagliptin is a class of treatment called a DPP4-Inhibitor. When you eat your stomach produces enzymes which send messages to your pancreas to start producing insulin because food is on the way. Our bodies have an autoimmune system that is designed to kill off anything they think shouldn't be happening. Unfortunately in quite a lot of type-2s one of the autoimmune enzymes (Dipeptidyl peptidase-4, usually called DPP4), kills off the stomach enzymes before they can reach the pancreas. So your pancreas doesn't get the message and your blood sugar has already risen to a pretty high level before the pancreas starts to realise that it should have been doing something! What Vildagliptin does is to kill off the DPP4 enzymes before they are able to attack the stomach enzymes. That means your pancreas does get the messages and will produce the right amount of insulin to deal with what you are eating.

By contrast gliclazide simply tells your pancreas to produce insulin and to keep on doing that until the gliclazide wears off (whether that much is needed or not). That is why gliclazide can often trigger a hypo and your pancreas may end up producing too much or too little insulin because it will simply respond to what the gliclazide tells it to do. I would certainly say that the DPP4-Inhibitors are a far better treatment because they ensure that your pancreas produces the appropriate amount on insulin, rather than the uncontrolled insulin production that you get with the gliclazides.

Still awake?!?

unabarr1

Hi Dennis
Many thanks for that, all of which I completely understand but couldnt have told anybody else how it works...lol...
So far I feel much better, and my blood sugar levels are coming down.
Incidentally, my husband spoke to a doctor today and he has been moved from Piogliatzone to Sitagliptin....as his weight was beginning to rise again.
Cheers for your help.
Una

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Una,

Glad the information was some help. Sitagliptin (aka Januvia) is identical to Vildagliptin - it is another DPP4-Inhibitor but made by a different manufacturer (Merck & Co). Weight gain is a notorious side effect of Pioglitazone and your husband should see a big improvement in that department on sitagliptin.

unabarr1

Hi Unabarr here, I first posted in april last year about vildagliptin, and so far so good. My doctors has done her check on me and is quite satisfied with my results. I must admit to feeling a whole lot better, which is a bonus. My husband takes sitagliptin and his weight seems to be more under control, but he is just being reviewed by our doctor so time will tell. Anyway lets see how it goes. Cheers.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking other diabetic meds and what sort of numbers have you got with it?

I've been on Sitagliptin for few months now with metformin which I was already taking and the improvement in BG has been a bit disappointing. I have also been gettin a bit of runny nose and sneezes which I think are caused by it.