Correction dose

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
No matter how many times the nurse explains the correction dose to me I can't get my head around it . Correction dose is 0.5 units for 5mols .so does that mean for every 5 over target 0.05 is given ?so say target is 6 if blood was 11 0.05 wud be given ?

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so if that correction is not working would I change it to 0.6 or 0.4

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was not bringing BG down enough then try 0.6 units.

Also bear in mind that we are more insulin resistant when BGs are in the teens so it would usually take more insulin to get levels down in that case.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Scrap that lol this is my dilemma and it's driving me mad trying to understand it .my daughters correction at night was 1unit for 5 mols that didn't work so nurse said try 1 unit for 4.5 mols then 1 unit for 4mmols and that's not working either what I don't understand is why I'm counting down not up .i thought if 1 in 5 didn't work I would be going 1unit 6mmols .my math is terrible and it frustrates me why I don't understand this but don't thing anyone has the patience to help me understand so thought I'd ask in here

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes sense - you would be using more insulin.

To drop 5 mmol/l you would use 1 unit if the ratio was 1 : 5 or 1.1 units if the ratio was 1 : 4.5 or 1.25 units if the ratio was 1 : 4

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Ok I get it now thank you .why can't any of my family just put it like that .im sat here now paper n pen trying to make sense of it ...thank you is understand now

Reactions: 2 people