Hey Girls - Catch up!!!

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you are all well!!! I haven't been on here for ages... I know for sure things have changed so much with you all already... Would be lovely to hear how your all getting on.

I am still in the process of managing my diabetes in a better way before me and my partner start trying we are hoping to be pregnant this year and it is definitely one of our New Years resolutions hehe. sadly we lost my fiancé glad in Oct so my diabetes sadly has not as controlled as it should have been but am now getting my butt into gear!!!

This Monday I will be attending a diabetes course which runs for 2 hours a week for 6 weeks to manage my diabetes in a better way and for me to really understand what I need to do. So much has changed since I was diagnosed when I was 8 so would be lovely to get some great tips.

My next diabetes clinic appointment is in May as that is the earliest they could get me in sad enough:( when I last went in July now my diabetic doc had no idea about pre conception which is gutting as I hear a lot of you are attending these and I think it would be a great help. Would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I hope you all had a lovely Xmas and a happy new year!!

Speak soon Kirsten x

Reactions: 2 people

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I like this catch up group :) I have a 5 month baby and am on the medtronic pump.. a diabetic since 13. Baked some cupcakes day before and bg s on a roller coaster.. also all that party snacking works terribly for me. But I am such a foodiee.. my sugars don't rise after 2 hours but have 4-6 hours.. been breaking my head over learning how to carb count but its tough and i feel my bolus wizard on the medtronic pump is not accurate.

but yes, all this having said.. trying hard to eat basic and get to a good range!

@kirstfinley.. you ll only be more than delighted on this resolution.. will pray for you.. sad to hear for your loss.. it's good to know that ur taking a course..certain it will help and make you more observant!

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I like this catch up group :) I have a 5 month baby and am on the medtronic pump.. a diabetic since 13. Baked some cupcakes day before and bg s on a roller coaster.. also all that party snacking works terribly for me. But I am such a foodiee.. my sugars don't rise after 2 hours but have 4-6 hours.. been breaking my head over learning how to carb count but its tough and i feel my bolus wizard on the medtronic pump is not accurate.

but yes, all this having said.. trying hard to eat basic and get to a good range!

@kirstfinley.. you ll only be more than delighted on this resolution.. will pray for you.. sad to hear for your loss.. it's good to know that ur taking a course..certain it will help and make you more observant!
Hey aditi,

How did you find managing your diabetes when you was pregnant ?

Christmas is my favourite time of year, and yes my problem is I love to eat and love to have a drink or two!! back to normal as of the new year!

I am really hoping that the course will help me and hopefully have a massive impact on how I manage my diabetes! I don't carb count at the moment so hoping they can get me to grips on that too! Again I LOVE carbs! I think this stems of the back of me being diagnosed so hound and not being able to eat what other children could!

Check my blood this morning and I am at 4.1 I had a bad day yesterday was ranging from 1.7-14! I was suffering really bad with headaches yesterday.

Xx

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Would be happy to hear more about your course and exchange some notes if possible. I am currently reading the American association of diabetes book on carb counting..and that's it ! Nothing more !

During pregnancy was tough..but after a point I had my set meals and wouldn't waiver a bit..And that worked fine..just checked my BG s like 7 times a day to ensure its all normal. The more you check the more you can get it under control. Yes..Christmas and new years is over and we need to get back on track !

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Would be happy to hear more about your course and exchange some notes if possible. I am currently reading the American association of diabetes book on carb counting..and that's it ! Nothing more !

During pregnancy was tough..but after a point I had my set meals and wouldn't waiver a bit..And that worked fine..just checked my BG s like 7 times a day to ensure its all normal. The more you check the more you can get it under control. Yes..Christmas and new years is over and we need to get back on track !

Yes of course, I'll share any info I get or any info that I feel is useful lol !

I find myself checking myself a million times a day... I feel that is best for me and definitely makes me feel like I am in control. I hear the girls always talking about their ratios on here, but that's not something I do!

I have just started weight watchers ATM as I have out on a stone and a half since controlling me diabetes as am now giving myself correct dosages. Not only do I want to get rid of the stone I have found it is a low carb diet so if anything it should help my diabetes more than anything!

Xx

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

hey

As promised, I am updating you with how I got on!

It was useless!! I walked in the room and see a lot of 'older' ladies. We then done a team building session basically getting to know the person sitting next to you, I found out she was recently diagnosed in Aug and was Type 2 we then had to let everyone in the room know what we wanted to achieve from the course. In a nutshell I explained I am looking to start a family and am wanting to manage my diabetes in a better way I also explained I wanted to know more information in regards to carb counting and knowing how to adjust insulin accordingly to reduce my hba1c.

we then went onto the subject of 'what is diabetes' I thought it was strange as this is not what I came for I was answering a majority of the questions again which I thought wasn't right. She then went onto to ask me what type of diabetes I had, type 1, 'this is not the right course for you' I could not believe it, I had been waiting 6 months for that appointment and it seems to be another set back!!!

I originally asked for dafne but my diabetic doc said the course he would send me on would be more appropriate I was the only type one diabetic in there, it's such a shame.

I will be calling them first thing tomorrow morning :( xx

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Which course was it?
Xpert or xpert insulin?

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was Xpert the lady said Xpert insulin would be better, but I would prefer dafne. I don't want to be waiting another 6 months for an appointment :(

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey.. yes pls check with ur doc..and maybe you can specifically look for answers on the internet and probably create a specific forum here..I am certain that will be more helpful ! Or probably a recommended book maybe ?