Success (I thnk)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to the doctor's for my 6 monthly check this morning and things are looking good. She agreed that reducing the Metformin from 4 tablets today to 3 tablets a day was acceptable.

However the print out she gave me of the results are a bit more complicated than the one I normally get so hopefully some here can help interpret things a bit.

Blood pressure 110/64
This I know is pretty good.

HBA1C 6.2 mmol/l, 42.0 mmol/mol, 6.0%
Last time it was 56 so I think the 42 is the right one to compare. So it has come down and I think is now the low end of the pre diabetic range. The hard work is paying off.

Thyroid 1.10 mu/l
first time this has been mentioned but was told it was normal

Urea and electrolytes
Serum sodium 143 mmol/l
Serum potassium 5.2 mmol/l
serum urea 4.5mmol
serum creatinine 59 umol/l
again first time the figures have been given but told they are normal I guess they are to do with kidney function.

LFT
S. bilirubin 12umol/l
S. alkaline phosphatese 89 iu/l
S ALT level 23iu/l
S. Total protein 71g/l
S Albumin 39g/l
S globulin 32g/l
My thought is these are the liver function tests, which last time were slightly high, not enough for the doctor to be concerned but one of the reasons she advised I stayed on the higher dose of Metformin to let the liver recover. It now says these are normal.

Lipids
S. Cholesterol 5.7 mmol/l
This is high I know but accepted as stable. I am already on 40mg of Atovastatin and the doctors have decided that trying to medicate to get it lower wasn't worth the side effects likely.

S. HDL 1.3 mmol/l
S. Cholesterol/HDL ratio 4.39
The breakdown has never been mentioned before and I know many of you get LDL and Trigs as well, these aren't listed so hopefully these might mean something by themselves.

Weight has decreased 20kg over the last year, 4 kg in the first 4 months of 2014, 16 of that over the last 8 months, So came out feeling quite pleased.

Reactions: 11 people

ayit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
varied
Brilliant, I am a newbie so I can't comment on the figures except weight and your certainly going the right way
especially on your weight and reducing the meds which is my target. Power to your elbow and keep going.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No wonder you are pleased. Those are very good results. Well done on getting your HbA1c down to 42, and you are right, only one point above the non-diabetic range. Next time you'll make it! Brilliant weight loss too, and very nice general blood results. Have a dance ..... you should be delighted..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations and well done :)

RRB

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would ask for your triglyceride to be done next time, some say the trig / HDL ratio is very important
your ALT is very good and suggests you don't have a fatty liver and therefore a lower insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8

upload_2015-1-6_0-37-55.png

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its the first time any break down has been given to me on the cholesterol so I figure it's a start. compared to information some people here get from their doctors, I know I am lucky to get as much as I do.

I know my liver function was a small cause for concern last time so it looks like that may be recovering as well then.

And, yes, I am having to be very careful not to be doing the happy dance around the office, just crowing to anyone willing to listen.

Last April, HBA1C was 71, I came here wanting to understand why it kept going up and what I could do to control it. By July it was 56 and now 42, and they say self testing isn't worth it for Type 2s. Buying a meter gave me to opportunity to take control and the results show that it can make a big difference.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant Ruth, well done :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great progress and news . :)
All going both positive and productive for you .

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent results. Your stats are where I want to be in that I want to lose 20 kgs and bring my HbA1c down to 42 (6.0) so well done. So easy to put those figures on paper but you have a group of people on here who appreciate the blood, sweat and tears to achieve that.

Your next challenge is to bring your cholesterol down. Never stops :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor didn't ask what I was doing to get it low, and I wasn't feeling brave enough to say. It was a new doctor and I think she was having enough to cope with getting use to things and the computer was playing up as well.

When I mentioned self testing to the nurse back in July she had a real quandary trying to be disapproving about self testing after just being so congratulatory when she had gone through the results.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your cholesterol isn't desperately high. Mine is 5.5 and that's where I like it to be. Your HDL could do with being a bit higher, although it is still within the normal range.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Congratulations Ruth ,you must be very pleased.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Ruth!

It's a great feeling to get good news and it keeps us motivated. Good luck! :)