So many mistakes

Jo81hanson

My doctors and nurses have always said that I could write the book on how to do everything wrong and get away with it
I am now suffering the consequences of my wrong actions
I wish that when I was 15 I had listened to my diabetic nurse rather than fight against everyone and everything
It has taken me nearly 15 years to except my diabetes and only over the past four years have I really got it under control
I would like to help those who feel they have nowhere to turn to and prevent them from making the same mistakes that I have made
Diabetes is not so easy to come to terms with expressly when you get it as a teenager you can fight against the system and the insulin and the regime but at the end of the day it is saving your life.
if I could go back to my younger self and give myself a wake up slap. Because of my choices I am now partially sighted and have amputated toes due to my bad choices
I wouldn't wish what I have been through on my worst enem if anyone wants to chat or ask questions or just rant and rave about this situation feel free I have been there and done that

Reactions: 20 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think thats why a lot of us are here..

We lived through D and want to help others and stop them from making the same mistakes.

Sometimes you can make very special friendships too that go beyond the realms of the forum.

However, there are many people coming here that are in difficulties.. As I was with my driving licence years ago). It is good to hear others experiences but most of all from my side is that it's not all doom n gloom...

Glad u'r here to help.. Welcome aboard this mad house that we're locked into!! You'll have some laughs and some people that disagree with opinions... But we all are individuals and sometimes just need a little bit of help...

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, you have been brave in the respect of telling people and being very open about it too.

I wish you all the best for the future.

'No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending' Good luck :)

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 10 people

Jo81hanson

You so much for your kind words it is true no one can go back but I am determined to make the future the best I can with what has happened to me and learn from my mistakes
I just want to help those that need it

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums.. Its great to hear you are getting your DBs under control:)

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! Well done for sharing your story including some regrets - that's not easy!

I suppose one thing that diabetes gives us is the chance to turn over a new leaf and really look after our health, and as you say, try to encourage others struggling with the same sort of problems. I'm lucky in that consultants and DSNs who have looked after me have always been supportive. Perhaps they should have said to me at diagnosis, "Now that you have diabetes, what are you going to do to look after yourself? Can you write a list of the steps you are going to take?" It would have been hard, but might have been an earlier wake-up call than the one I gave myself at a later date. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

You have basically described my diabetic career so far.........

Diagnosed at 15, have had it now for 16 years, and didn't really look after myself up until 2008/2009..........this was down to lack of education I believe and of course the late teens and early twenties where you think your invincible........

So far I am only really suffering from slight hypertension and minor, stable, maculopathy in both my eyes.........

Thanks for sharing...........:)

Reactions: 7 people

Jo81hanson

I just want my story to help those that have been rebelling and think they are invincible that there are no short cuts where db is concerned.

Reactions: 8 people

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Figs, honeydew melon, cantaloupe melon, mean people.
My doctors and nurses have always said that I could write the book on how to do everything wrong and get away with it
I am now suffering the consequences of my wrong actions
I wish that when I was 15 I had listened to my diabetic nurse rather than fight against everyone and everything
It has taken me nearly 15 years to except my diabetes and only over the past four years have I really got it under control
I would like to help those who feel they have nowhere to turn to and prevent them from making the same mistakes that I have made
Diabetes is not so easy to come to terms with expressly when you get it as a teenager you can fight against the system and the insulin and the regime but at the end of the day it is saving your life.
if I could go back to my younger self and give myself a wake up slap. Because of my choices I am now partially sighted and have amputated toes due to my bad choices
I wouldn't wish what I have been through on my worst enem if anyone wants to chat or ask questions or just rant and rave about this situation feel free I have been there and done that
Wow, this is well said and kind of upsetting. I was diagnosed in teens and my family haven't spoken about diabetes for years so I feel very close to this situation. In denial after 9 years still which is why I'm here (the forum) ahhh.
Best of luck to you with maintaining and improving your health!

Reactions: 8 people