Pump or injections

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I've been type 1 diabetic for 12 years now and I'm only 22. I've always injected myself instead of using a pump. Lately I've been thinking about switching, I wanted to ask which one do you guys prefer and why???

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm in the same position as you, been diabetic for 52 years. I asked if one would benefit me to keep my sugar levels more stable. As yet I'm still waiting for guidance from my diabetes team. Like you I would be interested to know what experiences other members have had.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
30+ years T1. Syringes, pens, then pump.
Best thing that has ever happened to me.
Gives me much better control.
Drawbacks:
Is more time consuming initially;
Wearing a gadget;
Control of your diabetes can stil be up and down if you don't watch and monitor it
No injections;
Getting your prescriptions correct by GP initially;
DKA is likely if sets fail, or if something goes wrong as you have only a max of 5 hours insulin pumped in to you....down to you to ensure you learn what, when and why to handle instances like this;
More need for testing and certainly basal testing;

Plus:
You get used to the gadget;
If you have one with a full remote then you never really feel different when eating compared to getting an injection out;
Set failures etc aren't often and you learn whether its your body or pump causing them;
Time faffing around does get less, but it is stilll a requirement to do set changes, or tubes or cartridge or something every 2-3 days.
The pump becomes your best friend.
Fine tuning and activities etc are brilliant.

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Totally agree with donallydogs had injections, pens and now been pumping 14 yrs much better control, hba1c have been stable after initial balancing out. Just one canula change every 3 days for me whereas I was injecting up to six times a day trying to balance my levels, now I don't think anything of it, best thing I've ever had for my diabetes. Don't get me wrong I do get the occasional hypo normally my miscalculation of bolusing , and if not careful you can go high with not doing a set change correctly but for me that's once in a blue moon. Good luck:)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only on injections for 18 months before getting my pump, but I love it. It allows for smaller dose increments which makes its easier to control my insulin rather than rounding up or down. In the 7 months I've had it ive reduced my hypos considerably. You have to be diligent about set changes etc and aware of the possibility of site failure, but that has only happened to me twice. Thankfully both times I pulled the site out within an hour as it felt "different" and so I avoided the high bgs.

That said, if pens are working for you and you can't find a good reason to move to pump then don't! ITs all personal preference

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi guys
I've been type 1 diabetic for 12 years now and I'm only 22. I've always injected myself instead of using a pump. Lately I've been thinking about switching, I wanted to ask which one do you guys prefer and why???
If you do go on a pump what ever one you have you will love as have no other to compare with :)