sugar levels

jennyreclive

sugar levelsHi
I am new to this website, I am here as my husband is type 2 diabetic and has now been put onto medication, i am very angry to see when i go shopping that the amount of food that has now become a no go for him, I found the fruit juice SUNNY=D was suitable for him But they have re- invented it and have put more fruit in hense higher sugar levels for instance before it was 1.4 of sugar per 100mls now it is 7.4 per 100mls I have contacted the company and they state that it is still suitable for diabetics to drink can anyone please advise, I have go to say shopping for him is a night mare , i also need to add he has high cholesterol and blood pressure too!!! so its not just the sugar its the fat too HELP PLEASE!!!

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

First things first, avoid fruit juice, Orange Juice is one of things people with diabetes can use to recover from hypoglycaemia. Fibrous fruit, apple, oranges, berries for example are low GI which means they'll be digested more slowly than fruit like melon and grapes.

Understandably you're worried about the cholesterol, there are those on this forum who assert that fats aren't going to harm your husband, and some of us don't see the harm in eating a low fat diet. There's lots of advice on here about diet, you'll have to find out for yourselves what works for your husband. There are lots of nosy people on here more than willing to stick there probosci in, hopefully, when you invite them :D

Regards, Tubs.

jennyreclive

hi thank you for that info, so should he be having apple juice instead , I am sorry to sound stupid but this subject of diabetes is really hard to get my head around , he was told by his diabetic nurse not to use diabetic foods as they not any better than the rest,i will remember your tip on nosy people too!! 8)

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Sorry Jenny, fruit juices are out :(.

You're DN is quite right, avoid foods labelled for diabetics, unless constipation is a problem :)

There's a number of approaches you can take, the low GI approach is talked about here. There is a specific forum for low carb on the main board.

In the food forum there is a good recipes forum.

Drinks? any diet drinks, water's also good, if husband likes sugar in his tea or coffee then try any of the sweeteners like Splenda, ZSweet, or Candarel.

Tubs.

samcogle

Hi Jenny, I am fairly newly diagnosed and have found shopping an absolute nightmare but it does get easier and once you know what your husband can eat you can speed up in the aisles :)
Does he have a testing kit as this helped me? I ate what I wanted and then checked my levels a couple of hours later if they were higher than they should be I cut down on whatever it was that made my levels high. it's just a case of a bit of trial and error and I have to say my diet has drastically changed but then again I need to lose weight so it is not all bad. Good luck with it and I am sure you will find plenty of information here that will help.
x

Lel

hi Jenny,

I totally agree with Samcogle here, it's totally about Trial and error and seeing what works and what doesnt.

I follow the low-carb diet like a lot of people on here and i find that works for me.
I can't eat most fruits, bread, pasta, starchy veg and millions of other stuff but i have managed to find some meals that are good for me.

your husband needs to test test test and then test some more. i am still learning about my body so at the moment i am testing like 10+ a day just to see whats going on in there.

I would really recmmend low carb i find i can control things much better and if your husband tried then im sure he would find that the weight would fall off also.

good luck to you both,

x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jenny,

I get the impression from your original post that you are looking mainly at the sugar content of foods, but sugar is only a small part (and not the most important part) of the problem. What increases blood sugar is carbohydrate. Sugar is simply a very quick acting carbohydrate but in fact will increase blood sugar by only half the amount that an equivalent amount of bread, pasta or rice will do.

It has been suggested that you could try a low-carb diet for your husband, and a reduction in carbs is certainly the way that many of us have found works for us in lowering blood sugar. An alternative approach is a low-GI diet. This restricts the carb intake to carbs that convert from carb into sugar much slower. You need to work out with your husband which of these (or perhaps a combination of the two) is what he would feel more comfortable with.

And as for Sunny-D - this is the product whose manufacturers (Procter & Gamble) told supermarkets to display it only in the refrigerated section, so that the public would be fooled into thinking it was actually a fresh juice not a cordial!! So when it comes to believing a word they say about suitability for diabetics - on their past track record they would tell it was good even if it contained 100% sugar!!

Trinkwasser

Here's a way you can find out empirically what he can and can't eat

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -test.html

that cuts right through the pointless arguments

IME fruit juice is horrendous, most fruits except berries or small quantities like half an apple are not much better, starches especially wheat are a big no-no except in small quantities. Dropping the carbs hugely improved my cholesterol.

These guys are good

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/free-veggies

full of micronutrients, also nuts, eggs and especially fish (omega 3s) you may prefer to feed him white meat and monounsaturated fats like olive oil (or come to that the whole olives) but many of us find without the excess carbs we can eat red meat and saturated fats and actually improve our lipids