Must stay strong!

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Figs, honeydew melon, cantaloupe melon, mean people.
Hey everyone! I have bronchitis at the moment; self diagnosed due to repeat episodes. I'm fully aware about how antibiotics work so have avoided them or asking for them for years now. The problem is that paracaetemol and related relief meds shall we say provide me with no relief whatsoever. I was up wide awake until 6am last night and I feel that tonight is going the same way. It's just getting worse and worse despite me 'expelling phlegm', sitting up with pillows, drinking around 2.5L of water and eating healthily. It has been 7 days now and is starting to take a toll on my mental health. At what point do you see a doctor? I primarily want a stronger pain relief but live in fear of using precious NHS resources. No ketones and I'm happy with my bloods for the time being until I'm well.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's driving you mad make an appointment straight away. If your practice is anything like mine you won't get seen for at least a week anyway, by which time (they) will hope it has cleared up. I've found the louder I shout the sooner I can get in. Having said that, I'm not a wimp and wouldn't just go with any problem but in the case of bronchitis I'd be there like a shot.
good luck

Reactions: 4 people

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep, bad chest infection, I feel this time is worse than other times where I haven't felt the urge to seek help or advice! I go to a university GP which which is the worst practice I've ever been at but at least you get seen same or following day. Thanks for that Adrian, I just needed to know I'm not being a drama queen! Will be booking an appointment tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hey everyone! I have bronchitis at the moment; self diagnosed due to repeat episodes. I'm fully aware about how antibiotics work so have avoided them or asking for them for years now. The problem is that paracaetemol and related relief meds shall we say provide me with no relief whatsoever. I was up wide awake until 6am last night and I feel that tonight is going the same way. It's just getting worse and worse despite me 'expelling phlegm', sitting up with pillows, drinking around 2.5L of water and eating healthily. It has been 7 days now and is starting to take a toll on my mental health. At what point do you see a doctor? I primarily want a stronger pain relief but live in fear of using precious NHS resources. No ketones and I'm happy with my bloods for the time being until I'm well.

Hi @clarbarstar

As T1, you're more susceptible to such health conditions going awry, so it's a jolly good idea to skiddadle to your GP for a proper medical assessment... bronchitis? or perhaps you have a case of mild pneumonia - it happened to me some years back.

Whilst I quite agree that antibiotics can be a hefty response to some illnesses they do serve a purpose for the appropriate ones, so don't deprive yourself of something that can help clear an infection and enable you to get back to health sooner rather than later... Would you deprive yourself of your insulin because of the potential life-threatening side-effects that come with it?

Reactions: 6 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, bad chest infection, I feel this time is worse than other times where I haven't felt the urge to seek help or advice! I go to a university GP which which is the worst practice I've ever been at but at least you get seen same or following day. Thanks for that Adrian, I just needed to know I'm not being a drama queen! Will be booking an appointment tomorrow.
You should know the feeling if you have had it before. Does it feel hot when you breath in does it feel a bit rough and tight?

Reactions: 2 people

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ConradJ, you're right about antibiotics when they're needed, I think I've struggled a bit with deciding if I deserve to go to the doctor almost... Kind of like there are people more ill than me so I'll avoid the doctor so that they can go. It's silly I know but the forum is helping me to see that I'm important too! :) I certainly wouldn't purposely deprive myself of insulin, you're right, thank you so much.

Beardie, I feel that way indeed, it's like I'm breathing through a blocked sieve and I've coughed up so much this week that I'm now hurting all over and have no energy to cough anything out so it's staying there and I feel worse in turn etc etc

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ConradJ, you're right about antibiotics when they're needed, I think I've struggled a bit with deciding if I deserve to go to the doctor almost... Kind of like there are people more ill than me so I'll avoid the doctor so that they can go. It's silly I know but the forum is helping me to see that I'm important too! :) I certainly wouldn't purposely deprive myself of insulin, you're right, thank you so much.

Beardie, I feel that way indeed, it's like I'm breathing through a blocked sieve and I've coughed up so much this week that I'm now hurting all over and have no energy to cough anything out so it's staying there and I feel worse in turn etc etc
sound like a chest infection. you may need antibiotics and or steroids

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You remind me of me!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You mean ... "a bit rough and tight "?

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
if you still have an infection after 7 days you probably need antibiotics.

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow! As part of getting back on the good control horse since joining the forum I've sorted myself out and should be getting blood results tomorrow with the nurse, dreading seeing her because she only ever tells me her random knowledge of diabetes and it's a bizzare situation because I've told her I'm the expert through experience, DAFNE and being a student HCP and the only problem is motivation. HbA1c is well overdue so I'm looking forward to finding out, regardless of how bad it is because it's something to go by to see improvement which I'm excited for :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Infections are not helped by not taking anti B's all you are doing is making yourself twice as bad as you need be with the end result of needing twice as many antibiotics and probably an X-ray plus a stay in hospital due to pneumonia. So cheapest and safest option is get seen yesterday or the day before.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarbarstar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Didn't sleep a wink :( have an appointment for 10.30 x