Had flu jab and now I have the flu

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any body still had flu even after having the flu jab? I had my flu jab in November and I'm now laid up in bed with the flu! Not been able to eat anything for two days! Is there anything I can take to ease the symptoms?

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard that the flu shot this year is not a very good match for the strains that have cropped up. It still offers some protection but not as much as usual.

I hope you feel better soon.

A

AnnieC

Well they dont't say you will not get flu but if you do it should not be so severe I have been having flu shots for years and have never had flu but then I can only ever remember having flu once in my life anf that was about 25 years ago. I am pretty healthy for a 75 year old and don't pick bugs up very often I have a cold and bad throat at the moment thanks to my husband sharing his with me but I probably only average a cold every 2 years or so

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
It is probably a very bad cold you have and not the flu, bad colds can be just as unpleasant as the flu. Hope you feel better soon

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is possible to get the flu after having a flu jab because the vaccine does not protect against all types of flu

CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have heard that the flu shot this year is not a very good match for the strains that have cropped up. It still offers some protection but not as much as usual.

I hope you feel better soon.

This.

Apparently the flu shot research team guess wrong this year and the shot is fairly useless against the prevalent strain of flu that ended up going around, So even though you got the shot, we all need to act like didn't, cause its almost useless this year.

Stay safe

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh it was definitely flu and it's still not gone yet, I'm not getting the flu jab this year!

C

catherinecherub

One of the strains that they were trying to protect us had mutated so the jab was useless against this. I don't think it was anybody's fault and goes to show how clever these germs are.
It was said that although the jab did not protect us fully we would not have such a severe reaction as people who had not had the jab.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, if a person gets flu after having had the jab, the symptoms may well be a lot worse had they not had the jab.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only ever had flu once, the year I had the flu jab :confused: . I've not bothered with it since.

Reactions: 3 people

radshack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I used to get the Flu quite regular before being diagnosed with T2 14 years ago.
But since diagnoses I've had a Flu jab every year without fail and I hav'nt had the Flu since, so I've got to say it works for me. :)