FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's nothing like it is there, when they work.
But Oh Dear, when they don't .. This one looks like a bad un: after 15h to settle down before activating, 3 mmol out and constantly saying low glucose alert .. Falsely. Oh sad. Hope it changes.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's been quite interesting seeing the graphs on Facebook that others have posted.

You can see the difference between honeymooners and longer term t1s no longer producing insulin in the smoothness of the graph. I compare mine to someone who was diagnosed 6-8 months ago and mine is essentially a smooth line while there's has lots of minor peaks and troughs along the line, whilst the trend is driven by the additional insulin. You may be able to use the libre to determine, as a newly diagnosed diabetic, when your honeymoon is truly over!

4d7e3034c164671ed0cd6e8b8b6f312c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd be interested to see what the software graphs look like for a recently diagnosed t1, when compared to that from the scanner!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 24 hour graphs on the Libre look more jittery than the 10? hour graphs under the scan:
Both graphs are today

IMG_5092.JPG

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been quite interesting seeing the graphs on Facebook that others have posted.

You can see the difference between honeymooners and longer term t1s no longer producing insulin in the smoothness of the graph. I compare mine to someone who was diagnosed 6-8 months ago and mine is essentially a smooth line while there's has lots of minor peaks and troughs along the line, whilst the trend is driven by the additional insulin. You may be able to use the libre to determine, as a newly diagnosed diabetic, when your honeymoon is truly over!

4d7e3034c164671ed0cd6e8b8b6f312c.jpg
Is the top one me from facebook? Hehe. That is interesting, I did think mine would be smoother tbh but u're prob right about the honeymoon.

I'll load my computer ones from work tomorrow

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I did actually have a dream that is eaten loads of chocolate but then couldn't find my insulin pen

Reactions: 3 people

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still loving my Libre - however, haven't had a faulty one, yet!! Had my 3 month follow up appointment yesterday since diagnosis changed to T1/LADA, and my HBA1c down to 6.5 from 9.9. I somehow don't think I would have achieved this without the Libre, it has taught me so much in a short space of time.

Oh, and well done everyone on those flat lines, that's my next challenge, to get rid of those pesky peaks.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Its getting popular I see just can't afford one atm
There seem to be enough of the Diabetic clinics testing them to gather information for NICE that it will take less time than we thought to get them onto prescriptions. The feedback I got from the clinic yesterday was that they think they are a great idea and welcome being able to provide them to more people.

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s My consultant said exactly the same thing on Tuesday. He said each of the consultants had been given one to trial and the feedback was good from the patients. Thinks they maybe be available on the NHS sometime this year. Fingers crossed :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The nice folks at Abbott are replacing my no.6 sensor as it's too erratic

Coasting along in the mid fours when I felt a bit low and blood test showed 2.9 :eek:

Happened a few other times too, so got to a point were I can't trust it.

erractic.png

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done. Will try to call them tomorrow. Same except other way round - showing constant lows.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The nice folks at Abbott are replacing my no.6 sensor as it's too erratic

Coasting along in the mid fours when I felt a bit low and blood test showed 2.9 :eek:

Happened a few other times too, so got to a point were I can't trust it.

View attachment 10582

I have had the same experience. The trend data is great, but not catching the lows (and I mean the 1.5 - 2.5 lows) when the libre is reading higher is a huge no no. Especially since it only takes 2 or 3 bad lows within a not so small timespan to become hypo unaware. Which somewhat compounds the issue and makes the situation more dangerous. I'll be using the Freestyle while driving for example. I'll always finger stick before I drive, but coasting along on my journey at 2 mmol when I'm reading in the 4's is seriously dangerous.

Reactions: 4 people