Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
tubolard said:
That's great news. Much relief then? :)

Regards, Tubs.
Hi Tubolard,

Huge relief !!!!!! I can actually drive with out any now !!!! I think that the site should have a dedicated section to blurred vision. There is so little about it and its so common.What do you tihnk ? For like myself who had never had glasses within a week to not being able to operate without them has been extreemly distressing......wonder what it will be like for others ??

Rob

Chanah

My long vision isn't bad most days - not perfect, but I usually don't need glasses.

Now for the AARGGHH I AM AN IDIOT part: I have the same problem with the ever-bouncing short-sightedness. The arrrghhh is because when I was in America last year, you could go to this ubiquitous chemist called Walgreen (one on every corner) and get these little reading glasses in every strength for less than $10 per pair.

They have a few places around here you can get them, too, but they're three to four times the price.

Ouch ouch ouch.

So if you know anyone in the USA, it might be worth sending them a paypal to pick you up a variety of reading glasses. They're small, they were in little tube containers, but they worked and they were dirt cheap. I only got one pair that was one strength up from my prescription glasses. I should've got about five.

Still, it's a thought.

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chanah said:
My long vision isn't bad most days - not perfect, but I usually don't need glasses.

Now for the AARGGHH I AM AN IDIOT part: I have the same problem with the ever-bouncing short-sightedness. The arrrghhh is because when I was in America last year, you could go to this ubiquitous chemist called Walgreen (one on every corner) and get these little reading glasses in every strength for less than $10 per pair.

They have a few places around here you can get them, too, but they're three to four times the price.

Ouch ouch ouch.

So if you know anyone in the USA, it might be worth sending them a paypal to pick you up a variety of reading glasses. They're small, they were in little tube containers, but they worked and they were dirt cheap. I only got one pair that was one strength up from my prescription glasses. I should've got about five.

Still, it's a thought.

Hi Chanah,

I have a pair of reading glasses ( Now useless) a pair of spare long sighted glasses ( now useless) and a pair of frames with my first set of lens's in just changed back, ( Now useful!). Now that 95% of my long and mid sight has come back....I am awaiting for my short to recover. I have a pair of number 3 reading glasses my fatherin law has given me. However the price of these are silly, However some of the general stores sell them for £15 -£20.......

ukboy

hi,

i take 4 injections a day do i have type 1 or type 2 as i was diagnosedd at 15 and now i am 25?

blurred vision is sometimes a problem for me as well

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you know what your blood sugar levels are,UKboy? High blood sugar levels can cause blurred vision.

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone Its me again !! My eyesight has now come back 98% and only need glasses for some reading. Therefore it took 6 weeks for it to max out and then return to normal - Phew !! I have had full eye checks with drops and several test all negative. My blood sugar level 90 mins after food has been between 4.9 and 6.8 for 3 weeks. I am doing lots of excercise and am now 13 stone and 9 lbs. ( Was 16 stone 4 Lbs 14 months ago). Seeing a dietition tomorrow having difficulties in knowing what to eat but seem to be doing well on the sugar levels which is all important. Thank you all for your support during my blurred days it actually made me feel... a lot more confident about the future. Anyone want my glasses ? :mrgreen: Love to you all.

Rob

wallycorker

robertmiskin said:
Hi Everyone Its me again !! My eyesight has now come back 98% and only need glasses for some reading. Therefore it took 6 weeks for it to max out and then return to normal - Phew !! I have had full eye checks with drops and several test all negative. My blood sugar level 90 mins after food has been between 4.9 and 6.8 for 3 weeks. I am doing lots of excercise and am now 13 stone and 9 lbs. ( Was 16 stone 4 Lbs 14 months ago). Seeing a dietition tomorrow having difficulties in knowing what to eat but seem to be doing well on the sugar levels which is all important. Thank you all for your support during my blurred days it actually made me feel... a lot more confident about the future. Anyone want my glasses ? :mrgreen: Love to you all.

Rob

Great news Rob!

Best Wishes - John

ebobeye

My dad has the same problem. He has lost 4lb in 3 weeks. He has also had episodes of poor vision over the past three years. The onset seems quite sudden but usually subsides within a few hours.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thats brilliant rob :D

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trinkwasser said:
Brilliant!

Come back and tell us what the dietician says.
Hi my lovelys,
Someone once told me one of the biggest problems in life is listening to too many dietitions !!!!
After an hour of seeing my first paid for dietition, I am some what a little confused. Apparently I can eat some dark chocolate after meals, have a small amount of alcohol after dinner and eat bananas with my cereal. ( Which everyone before told me I couldn't). Also my blood sugar is now under control ( 4.9 - 6.5) and I was told that I couldn't eat those rice cakes ( Snack a Jacks) as they are no good even if I am keeping my sugar under control..anyway I suppose its about getting used to the diet and whats good and whats not good. Anyhow, its still a little confusing. I had a blood test to see if I was a type 1 candidate(this was sent to Denver, USA) and it came back negative. which was good news. Seeing the consultant this week for results of other tests and my first results of the long term blood test ( sorry forgot the name of it)

see ya !!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Robert.

You have learned a valuable lesson. Dietician's mean well. It's just that some of the information as far as some of us are concerned is flawed.
You seem to have masterd the art of control over your Diabetes. You are in control now. Eat what you know doesn't spike your Bg levels. Ignore anything that goes against what YOU know works.

Ken.

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cugila said:
Hi Robert.

You have learned a valuable lesson. Dietician's mean well. It's just that some of the information as far as some of us are concerned is flawed.
You seem to have masterd the art of control over your Diabetes. You are in control now. Eat what you know doesn't spike your Bg levels. Ignore anything that goes against what YOU know works.

Ken.
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your kind words !!!The other thing is alcohol. I have banned all alcohol however, the dietition says I am allowed a glass of wine after an evening meal. Not too sure and nervious about this. Also, I take my blood 90 mins after meals ( not all)....If you every have a spike in your BG i take it you will see in the reading ??? how else can you tell a spike in BG ?

Rob

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Robert.

I and many others find the odd glass of wine or beer perhaps with a meal or when just relaxing is fine. Overdoing it and drinking a bottle or two is not. Alcohol will lower your Bg levels.

Here is a link that explains things.
https://new.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/c ... hol_07.pdf

Best times to take your Bg for tight control is before meals, then 1 and 2 hrs after meals. That way you soon know which way things are heading. As for spikes they should be obvious to you by this manner of testing.

Ken

Trinkwasser

Agree on the (red) wine, personally I can only do about a half of beer before the carbs outrun the alcohol. Check the carb content of other drinks too.

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -hour.html

again personally, most of the things I eat tend to spike around the 1 hour mark. This may vary, high GI stuff which I don't usually eat may spike significantly earlier, some things like pizza may cause a prolonged rise a couple of hours or so out. One weird thing I noticed once when I had a cold, I was spiking very high about the half hour mark but back down again by the hour.

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your comments......is there a general rule about the types of alcoholoic drinks you can drink i.e is a glass of wine better than glass of beer, spirits ??? Ken , cant get onto the web page,,,,

I saw the consultant today he was very happy with me. I have only been in control of my BG for 4-5 weeks. My HBA1 score was 10 however 50% of the 8 week cycle that it covers was pre diagnosis. He has put me on 4 metformin a day from 3. My blood is between 5.0 and 6.8 and he wants to get it down to between 5-6. I have another blood test in 2 months and hopefully my HbA1 test will come down to 6 or 7.

Thank you for your kind messages !!

Rob

( slowly coming to terms with a big change in my life) ( My sight is 100% now and tokk 4 weeks from initial blurriness to clear for anyone who is worried)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Rob.

Re: Webpage. It is only because you have to accept the not recommended action of
'Going to the website.' It is quite safe and it takes you straight to the site and document. Any probs PM me and I'll run you through it.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

robertmiskin said:
I saw the consultant today he was very happy with me. I have only been in control of my BG for 4-5 weeks. My HBA1 score was 10 however 50% of the 8 week cycle that it covers was pre diagnosis. He has put me on 4 metformin a day from 3. My blood is between 5.0 and 6.8 and he wants to get it down to between 5-6. I have another blood test in 2 months and hopefully my HbA1 test will come down to 6 or 7.

So far so good! Sensible consultant for giving you effective targets too, I'm sure you'll hit them.

The thing to be wary of with booze is the carb content. Dry wines are better than sweet wines. Some beers are less carby than others, usually the higher the alcoholic content the less sugar is left over. I used to drink those alcohol-free lagers when driving but they can be a nightmare so I stick to a half of bitter and then switch to coffee.