suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Hi everyone,
Wow has been a long time since I last posted on here, (over 3 years ago) so where do I begin?

Was diagnosed type 2 on 23rd November 2009 and was started on oral medication and straight away went on a diet to help, along with the help I received on here (a lot from Cugila, :) thanks mate) I was able to keep my sugar lvl's at an acceptable rate, so everything was ok.

Everything was fine until just before Christmas 2013, where I was hit with the news that my father had lung cancer, so my concerns for my own health were thrown out of the window and I concentrated on looking after my father. sadly he passed away on October 4th 2014.

Sadly because of this and a few other personal problems I gave up caring about my blood sugars and not even caring what my diabetes did to me.

Again my weight went up and at present am 17.5 stones at 6ft and my blood sugars are in double figures again even though on 31/12/2014 I had my MOT and my nurse said that my cholesterol and Hba1c levels were normal so she was happy with that, ( I didn't tell her about not testing my my blood sugar levels)

The lowest has been 3.3 and highest 22.1 so there are all over the place, and am now testing again several times a day trying to get them back to what they were prior to December 2013.
I have also been put on Sitagliptin 100mg along with my Metformin and Gliclazide and was told that I am now on the maximum dose for oral medication and also that the next step would be insulin, which I admit knocked me for six,

So now it is time I think to get back on to the tarmac and get back to beating my diabetes,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you've had such a rotten time. What was your HbA1c, if the nurse was happy with it?

Reactions: 2 people

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
To be honest I wasn't really listening until she said about going on insulin, but am nearly sure it was between 5-5.4% blood tests were taken beginning of December last year and had to wait for an appointment

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.

Sorry to hear about your dad and your other personal problems, but it's good to see you are back to being motivated, even if it is the threat of insulin.

I wish you well in your new journey.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I wasn't really listening until she said about going on insulin, but am nearly sure it was between 5-5.4%

I think you need to confirm that, because if you're achieveing an HbA1c of 5-5.4% I'm amazed that your medication has been increased, with the prospect of insulin, and secondly, if you're seeing readings of 22.1 you must be having some serious lows to influence the average at non-diabetic levels.

Something isn't adding up there; I'd suggest you need some clarification.

Reactions: 7 people

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
I have to go back again in 6 months but will ask for a print out on Monday from my health center. Also I think it's time to dig out my folder of records of what I ate and did after being diagnosed, lucky I kept a complete diary of it all.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about your father.
Sometimes our priorities get reshuffled, usually for very good reasons.
But glad you are picking up the reins again.

Just speculating, could the a1c have been in the 50s, using the new units?

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Brunneria said

Just speculating, could the a1c have been in the 50s, using the new units?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Suffolk sorry to hear of your recent problems, I have a good mate who has recently gone through a similar situation with his mother and has neglected his own health for over a year now.

Still at least you sound as if you know what to do and have returned here for support and encouragement which you are sure to find.

You will probably find that if you can lose the weight you have put on over the last year or so you will lose a lot of the insulin resistance that comes with weight gain and will be able to reduce your meds rather than progressing to insulin.

Weight loss is not easy but can be accomplished if you are motivated and by the sound of it you are, be strict and stick with what ever diet you choose and set small targets of say 6 or 7 pounds at a time rather than try to lose the whole lot all at once, then once you get the first 7 lb off then look to the next etc etc I found this method worked well for me and I've lost around 5 stone since diagnosis 6 years ago and have managed to maintain that weight loss too give or take a pound or two here and there.

Reducing or even cutting out alcohol can be a great help and it is something I do if I put a few pounds on over xmas or the winter period generally, alcohol even in moderate amounts can add a lot of calories to your daily total.

Try to avoid eating between meals, I found that by looking at the time when I felt hungry and telling myself "its only x minutes till lunch/diner/bedtime" that helped me stop eating between meals, again its not easy but stick with it and reap the benefits of weight loss, lower bg levels and fewer meds :)

Good luck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to go back again in 6 months but will ask for a print out on Monday from my health center. Also I think it's time to dig out my folder of records of what I ate and did after being diagnosed, lucky I kept a complete diary of it all.

Good plan! Your old records will be useful, but I'd want to actually re-confirm the numbers I was achieving these days, as our bodies can change - even improve in some areas.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome back to the forum, so sorry about your fathers passing, take care.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I have toagree with the other posters that if your HBa1C is good perhaps below 6.5% then I can't see why your DN is suggesting a move to insulin. Yes, if you can reduce your carbs to get your weight down you should find that any need for insulin will disappear.