How do you go about adding a new meter & strips to your prescription?

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above people, I haven't changed my prescription for about 4/5 years and my meter is a little bit done out.

I remember there being some code that the GP could check on the system, and see if they were able to prescribe it?

Has this way changed?

Ta, Alan.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Alan, I'm not sure about the code system. Either I make an appointment with my GP or I right it down, put it in an envelope and hand it in to receptionfor them to give to my GP.
Most surgerys are slightly different, so you could phone with your query and ask at reception. Good luck RRB

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some CCG's will only allow prescribing of certain blood strips now.

Best speak to your DSN at your practice, as our practice will give you a meter and strips, however, you have to have a **** good reason to ask for specific strips. I have been allowed my Accuchek strips because my pump uses these. Anybody on injections or otherwise will only be given the strips that the CCG have told our GP's to use. This isn't just our GP Practice, it's for all of our GP's under this CCG and there's lots of CCG's doing this in England.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys, I think I'll give my DSN a ring, and see what they recommend.

iHs

Some CCG's will only allow prescribing of certain blood strips now.

Best speak to your DSN at your practice, as our practice will give you a meter and strips, however, you have to have a **** good reason to ask for specific strips. I have been allowed my Accuchek strips because my pump uses these. Anybody on injections or otherwise will only be given the strips that the CCG have told our GP's to use. This isn't just our GP Practice, it's for all of our GP's under this CCG and there's lots of CCG's doing this in England.
My surgery is the same but I get Aviva strips still so that I can use my Expert meter to be the bolus wizard and log the carb thst I eat so thst I dont havevto remember and keep transferring data from my pump to Diasend which is reliant on the internet being available :angelic:

iHs

As above people, I haven't changed my prescription for about 4/5 years and my meter is a little bit done out.

I remember there being some code that the GP could check on the system, and see if they were able to prescribe it?

Has this way changed?

Ta, Alan.

Usually, the bg meter company will include a form in with the package to give to a GP stating the brand of teststrips the meter accepts and also the PIP code which the GP can use on their IT system to identify the correct strips before issuing the prescription. A pharmacist can also find the PIP code as well though.