BS readings

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was feeling really terribly awful bluetit, I had exhaustion, I was very depressed, constant headache for over a month even though I usually don't get headaches, my heart kept feeling all wrong and racing, really feeling very poor indeed like this for several a months so the doctor gave me an ecg and a sack of tests, and said I had a folic acid deficiency. I forgot to pick up the pills for a few weeks, didn't expect anything out of them. When I finally remembered I took the first one and bizarrely just a few hours later felt completely brilliant! Though nothing changed in my circumstances and I expected nothing from the pills all I can tell you is its been a month and I've felt totally brilliant ever since. I had no idea a deficiency could make you feel so terrible, I have no idea how long I've had it.

Honestly I am addicted to green veggies and obsessed with iron type flavours like liver and spinach so I should also not be deficient. I do have a knackered immune system / inflammatory condition and apparently these can cause a deficiency so it'll be interesting to see what happens when I finish the course.

Ages ago, I watched a youtube vid on vit b12 deficiency. there was some connection between b12 and folic acid.
Cant really remember the details, but when I saw your post, I thought of that relationship between the two.
If you have been deficient in folic acid for any time, then it may be worth looking up b12 and their connection, just in case things have got out of wack there too.

Although, since I can't actually remember ANY of the details, I may be talking total tosh! ;)

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
fasting 6.4
after breakfast 5.2 (155 grams of white yoghurt, 20 grams of raisins and 40 grams of oat flakes)
before lunch 4.3
after lunch 5.1 (nicoise salad with potatoes, green beens, eggs, tomatoes, green olives and lettuce)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fasting 6.4
after breakfast 5.2 (155 grams of white yoghurt, 20 grams of raisins and 40 grams of oat flakes)
before lunch 4.3
after lunch 5.1 (nicoise salad with potatoes, green beens, eggs, tomatoes, green olives and lettuce)

Blimey, I'd be sky high after raisins and probably oat flakes. Good readings.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey, I'd be sky high after raisins and probably oat flakes. Good readings.

I would as well, if I ate it for lunch or dinner. :)
For some reason, I have a problem to get my BG below 6 before breakfast. Then when I take the insulin, it drops pretty fast. And I often forget/don't have time to eat a snack at work. If I ate e.g. an apple, I'd be dangerously low before lunch. So for breakfast, I eat something like this.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ 31/2 hrs post pig out I was 4.7
Pre dinner 5 ( out at course till after 8 so effectively a second fast by the time I ate)
No idea of post as I'm hoping to be asleep.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Superb readings. You are so lucky to be able to walk your levels down. My two daily 20 minutes walks raise mine (not much, but enough) or do nothing.
Hi bluetit, I have discovered if you take a slow steady walk it lowers the bs.... If you walk quickly it raises them...

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a 2 month break from testing but now I've begun again because I want to reintroduce some foods. In particular oats, because I want to try and lower my cholesterol levels and I love porridge. Today I used 35g oatmeal (courtesy of my daughter, I prefer the normal type) with water, cinnamon and then a splash of soya milk.
5:35am 4.8
A small snack of olives and nuts
Travelled to work
7:35 am. 5.5
Had my porridge
8:42 am. 5.9
9:42 am. 5.7
10:41 am 5.0

So, it seems porridge may be back on the menu :). I'll try the rolled oats tomorrow.

At tea time I tried half a tin of 3 bean mix in water. I heated then cooked with tuna and cheese and some yoghurt. I didn't have anything else with it because I wanted to test the beans. Oh, I should say I had one of those benecol yoghurt drinks.
Pre meal 4.9
1 hour later. 6.0
Another 40 minutes later 5.2

They seem ok too but I'll have it with a slice of toast next time.

I may try a small baked potato some time this week, for lunch. I have had a small amount of potato about 4 times in the last 12 months. It's a useful cafe meal if I'm out and about during cold weather.

Reactions: 9 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bluetit, I have discovered if you take a slow steady walk it lowers the bs.... If you walk quickly it raises them...
I was going to suggest this. Even 10 minutes can make a difference. Although, I suppose it's all down to each person's body reaction, as with many other strategies.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So why do all the things I read say it should be a brisk walk? I do walk quite quickly, but am always having to stop for Lola (my dog).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have we met Lola before?

Here she is. My gorgeous friend.

Lola Worcs 236.jpg

Reactions: 6 people