Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that's interesting. Hubby just about to start Xpert course. I would imagine the course leaders are now in a state of flux.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh that's interesting. Hubby just about to start Xpert course. I would imagine the course leaders are now in a state of flux.

Only if they are aware of the new developments, which I cynically believe to be unlikely.

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Especially if someone grabs a copy of her new book and starts quoting it at them on the course!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: 13 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
See your HCP, if your area do Xpert:), and get stirring!

Reactions: 7 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ketones are a good alternative fuel to glucose. They don't convert to glucose.

Well your obviously more knowledgeable than I am as my reading on the subject taught me that ketones were converted to glucose via the process of the liver breaking down fat into Acetate and is then transported round the body by a transporter called coenzyme A, or "CoA" for short from which it is converted into glucose via the KREBS cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle to give it its correct name.

But what do I know? I dont even follow a lchf diet so Im sure your correct, fat is not converted to glucose via the krebs cycle at all I probably dreamed it all.

Quick edit: The conversion of ketones into glucose via the krebs cycle is a very long process and less efficient than using carbs to convert to glucose which is our bodies preferential way to produce glucose.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well your obviously more knowledgeable than I am as my reading on the subject taught me that ketones were converted to glucose via the process of the liver breaking down fat into Acetate and is then transported round the body by a transporter called coenzyme A, or "CoA" for short from which it is converted into glucose via the KREBS cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle to give it its correct name.

But what do I know? I dont even follow a lchf diet so Im sure your still correct, fat is not converted to glucose via the krebs cycle.

Quick edit: The conversion of ketones into glucose via the krebs cycle is a very long process which is why the human body prefers to use carbs to convert to glucose rather than fat.

¿qué? lol. This is far too difficult for me at this time of day.:) I'll come back later, I'm sure it will all be much clearer then. ;) :rolleyes:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
See your HCP, if your area do Xpert:), and get stirring!

Yes that would be a great idea before the book has even been published and anyone actually knows whats in it.

And are you now actively encouraging members here to go on courses and argue with the course educators? What an adult thing to do.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that would be a great idea before the book has even been published and anyone actually knows whats in it.

And are you now actively encouraging members here to go on courses and argue with the course educators? What an adult thing to do.
To be fair Sid, I don't think he was actively encouraging members to go to courses to argue. That was more my own take on things and it was me who continued in that vein. Maybe I am a stirrer after all. :rolleyes: I'm out all day now so the forum can run peacefully again. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am not sure that 'arguing' is the correct terminology here.
If I went on this course I would be 'querying' the information taught. Bringing into the teaching environment my own experience, and that of others on the course, to consider latest developments. Surely any learning is not just a one way process. If it was, there would be no expansion of knowledge.

Reactions: 10 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Refer to my previous link. The web site clearly shows a complete 180 degree turnaround from low fat, starchy carbs to LCHF. It's all there.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

what I would al;ways suggest is to go on the course and if the "educator" is pushing the "out of date info" gently question her to get the course back on track. not to go on a course and not interact with the educator, that would be a bonkers thing to do!
After all Sid, I assume you ask questions and raise points to get people to think:) about what is written.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Refer to my previous link. The web site clearly shows a complete 180 degree turnaround from low fat, starchy carbs to LCHF. It's all there.

That wasn't the impression I got from my nurse who met Trudi Deakin recently on a training course for X-Pert presenters. Eat real fat, yes. Low carbs, not necessarily. I had the impression it was eat less carbs, maybe even low carb, but possibly not the same sort of low carb that this forum promotes. We have to wait and see, but my nurse still talked about bread and wholemeal. One person's idea of low carb is not anothers. We are all speculating at the moment.

Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That wasn't the impression I got from my nurse who met Trudi Deakin recently on a training course for X-Pert presenters. Eat real fat, yes. Low carbs, not necessarily. I had the impression it was eat less carbs, maybe even low carb, but possibly not the same sort of low carb that this forum promotes. We have to wait and see, but my nurse still talked about bread and wholemeal. One person's idea of low carb is not anothers. We are all speculating at the moment.
Not speculation at all. Just look at the X-Pert site. Lastly, when you say your nurse said eat "real fat", as opposed to what ? Unreal fat ? And what is the sort of low carb that this forum promotes and why would you say this is different if, as you say, the details are not out yet ?
http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/at-risk-of-diabetes/a-step-by-step-guide-to-low-carb-living

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Sorry Danny but there is no mention of what diet is recommended in the book other than a mention of the acronym lchf and we all know that lchf can mean different things to different people. ie SouthportGP recommends a lc diet but says "Fat, yes OK in moderation" which is hardly recommending a high fat diet is it?

It could just be saying that low fat foods should be avoided which I have always advocated, I dont think anyone should base their diet around processed foods and it is only processed foods where the fat is replaced with sugars.

So until the book is released it is all conjecture as to what its content will actually say. It may say that a high fat diet is advocated but I doubt it as only last year Dr Trudi was saying something different.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
what I would al;ways suggest is to go on the course and if the "educator" is pushing the "out of date info" gently question her to get the course back on track. not to go on a course and not interact with the educator, that would be a bonkers thing to do!
After all Sid, I assume you ask questions and raise points to get people to think:) about what is written.

Of course I would/do but I dont state on public forums that people should ask to go on a course at considerable cost to the tax payers just to start "stirring". That is what you did or did I misinterpret your post?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So who has put in for a pre order of the book then?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sid Bonkers , totally agree there are no specific food items but what a complete turn around from previous teachings of low fat, starchy carbs. I also agree that low carb will mean different things to different people but it's still the same basic message. I'm not sure why anyone would argue that LCHF on the X-pert website may actually not mean LCHF ? How much evidence do you want ? If you want to continue eating what suits you, that's fine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The fact the book is called "eat fat" should give us reason for hope!!

Reactions: 2 people