Swine flu and animal insulin...

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Sorry this is probably a dumb question but I have been thinking about moving to animal insulin but.... I wondered will the current swine flu situation affect anybody taking pork insulin? Would a virus get into insulin or would it just pass through the blood stream without affecting a pig's beta cells. Also are there chances of things like BSE entering insulin in beef insulin do you know?

Thanks,

Rachael

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, I really would not be concerned-animal insulin is highly purified. I am on porcine neutral & isophane, I'm more frightened of being forced back on to synthetic insulin than I am of contracting swine or mexican flu.
I rang Wockhardt earlier in week, and there is no problem with supplies.
Hope that helps
Jus

Lel

hi,

Just wondering what you feel the differenced are between the natural and synthetic insulin??

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to a rather lengthy fact sheet about the different types of Insulin available which may help.

http://www.iddtinternational.org/gmvsan ... /index.htm
Haven't posted on board as it is much too long.

An extract from the report about the different types of Insulin.

Human and animal insulins

Human insulins are not superior to animal insulin – Cochrane Review, 2002

Rapid-acting insulin analogues

Rapid-acting insulin analogues have only minor benefit for the majority of patients - Cochrane Review, 2004

Rapid-acting insulin analogues are not superior to human insulin for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes - the Institute for Quality and Cost Effectiveness in the Health Care Sector [IQWiG], July 2006

Rapid-acting insulin analogues are not superior to human insulin for the treatment of adults with Type 1 diabetes. The benefits for children and adolescents are unclear for lack of data - IQWiG, June 2007

Long-acting insulin analogues

Long-acting analogue insulins can be used as an option for people with Type 1 diabetes but not for those with type 2 diabetes, except under special circumstances - NICE guidance.

Long-acting insulin analogues are not listed in Canada for treatment of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes because they are not superior to NPH human insulin - Canadian Expert Drug Advisory Committee [CEDAC], June and Sept 2005.

Long-acting insulin analogues have only minor benefit, if at all, for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes - Cochrane Review, April 2007.

Details of the above Reviews can be found on our ‘Reviews and Reports’ pages: http://www.iddtinternational.org/review ... /index.htm

Note: IQWiG is carrying out a review of long-acting insulin analogues in Type 1 diabetes and then there will be reliable evidence to inform decision-making for all insulin analogues in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

The conclusions from the evidence are clear – GM insulins are not superior to their predecessors

Hope this helps.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Thanks guys... I have seriously considered going onto animal insulin although it has never been offered etc. Apparantly it can be quite difficult and I have asked once or twice only to be told I'm being old fashioned etc. etc.

I now have neuropathy in both my feet.... I'm 99.9% sure it is due to diabetes although I've been given a detailed explanation about how it must be backache.

Last night I got so depressed I considered ending it all so I'm telling the diabetic clinic this. I went home from my job exhausted yesterday from countless hypos and hypers in the night and day. I am certain I'm allergic to GM insulin. I've read IDDT and I have all the symptoms there.

The way I see it is I'm not asking on Wednesday I am telling them and if they don't I'm refusing to take insulin as I don't see what benefit it has.

I am just getting my life together with a charity trek in november, a career move and playing drums. If I can't feel my feet and the situation worsens then I can't live anymore.

I am grateful for the answers and the detailed report regarding animal insulin. I have further evidence to prove it might benefit me also but this will be great to hand to the diabetic clinic.

I'm ok today btw I just had everything come down on top of me yesterday and was immensely scared, exhausted and upset. My feet are full of pins and needles but hopefully I can get on track to prevent it getting worse and I can live a normal life.

Rach79

Dislikes
Animal insulin might have C-peptide in it which would prevent nerve damage. I'm trying to forward this case also to the diabetic clinic I just need someone to listen. The way I see it is what have I got to lose!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Rach.

Glad to hear that you are better today.
Sometimes a good nights rest puts a whole new light on things.
We all get scared, depressed etc at times.

Just remember we are here to help and support.

Ken.

Rach79

Dislikes
Thanks Ken :)

I think it was just pure exhaustion and then my other toe went tingly and that just set me off crying but yes I'm back to normal today.

Thanks again :)

lionrampant

Rach79 said:
Animal insulin might have C-peptide in it which would prevent nerve damage. I'm trying to forward this case also to the diabetic clinic I just need someone to listen. The way I see it is what have I got to lose!!!

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I got to this thread via the latest e-mail and couldn't help but notice this post. Does anyone actually know if this has any basis in reality? Given what we've seen in the limited research into c-peptide I'd be very interested in exploring this idea further.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
C-peptide is in purified animal insulin and natural human insulin (not to be confused with synthetic human insulin), why is it not contained in synthetic versions? Probably because it is not possible to add it, otherwise it would have already been done. There's a thread on 'Hypurin Porcine Insulin" which is well worth a read.
C-peptide can prevent not only nerve damage, but kidney and heart problems.
There are so many people reporting problems on synthetic and particularly analogue insulins, maybe this is the key to the problem. Although in my opinion there is something more seriously amiss with analogue insulins, especially Lantus. :evil:
Jus