Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
£4.99 isn't a bad price compared to "the big fat surpise book" or "low carb, eat fat food revolution"

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well your obviously more knowledgeable than I am as my reading on the subject taught me that ketones were converted to glucose via the process of the liver breaking down fat into Acetate and is then transported round the body by a transporter called coenzyme A, or "CoA" for short from which it is converted into glucose via the KREBS cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle to give it its correct name.

But what do I know? I dont even follow a lchf diet so Im sure your correct, fat is not converted to glucose via the krebs cycle at all I probably dreamed it all.

Quick edit: The conversion of ketones into glucose via the krebs cycle is a very long process and less efficient than using carbs to convert to glucose which is our bodies preferential way to produce glucose.
Thanks Sid. I said that ketones don't convert to glucose, not that they can't. As you point out, it would be a very energy-inefficient process and I understand that the body would prefer to use the easiest fuel source available. I would expect that my brain is fuelled mainly by ketones - my original assertion.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Of course I would/do but I don't state on public forums that people should ask to go on a course at considerable cost to the tax payers just to start "stirring". That is what you did or did I misinterpret your post?
No I would never say go on a course JUST to stir but if you go on a course you get questions asked, just like you wouldn't start a confrontation, just for the sake of it, but in order to create questioning and hopefully understanding.

Reactions: 4 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this flier for the launch of Trudi Deakins book this should hopefully put the speculation bed.:)

Based on extensive research and using the latest evidence the book explains the health benefits of a ketogenic diet. With practical guides and recipes the book supports the reader to adopt and maintain a ‘low-carb’ lifestyle, and explains why we all need to embrace fats as being beneficial to health.

To find out more why not attend the launch of the book between

3-7pm on Monday 19th January at the

Innovation Café Bar, Hebden Bridge Mill, St George's Square, Hebden Bridge, HX7 8ET.

David Haslam, Chair of the National Obesity Forum will be the keynote speaker. There will also be examples of the delicious recipes that you can produce. You'll also have an opportunity to hear the research evidence and ask questions about the diet.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/low-carb-living

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I found this flier for the launch of Trudi Deakins book this should hopefully put the speculation bed.:)

Based on extensive research and using the latest evidence the book explains the health benefits of a ketogenic diet. With practical guides and recipes the book supports the reader to adopt and maintain a ‘low-carb’ lifestyle, and explains why we all need to embrace fats as being beneficial to health.

To find out more why not attend the launch of the book between

3-7pm on Monday 19th January at the

Innovation Café Bar, Hebden Bridge Mill, St George's Square, Hebden Bridge, HX7 8ET.

David Haslam, Chair of the National Obesity Forum will be the keynote speaker. There will also be examples of the delicious recipes that you can produce. You'll also have an opportunity to hear the research evidence and ask questions about the diet.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/low-carb-living

Shall we all attend? Will see how to book this.. **** I won't be able to go I'm a T1!!!

Thanks for that info.. Brilliant...

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Lovely place Hebden Bridge, but a bit too far for an evening out for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I have just spoken in length to a lovely lady from xpert who confirmed that Trudi is "lower carb and eat fat styled and that they are rolling this out, AND that the NHS will be adopting this , but you know how long that takes"

I would be welcome to attend the launch of the book.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What numbers did she define LCHF as, and what type of fat?
She didn't. I didn't ask though. I have been thinking about doing an educator course... (Getting GP to pay for it) and I would give them a couple afternoons free of my time to give courses....so I was asking whether laypersons could do this and what the costs were.

We talked a lot about low carbing because I told her my background and told her that I couldn't previously have gone against my beliefs of what has kept me healthy and fit....and that's when we had discussions on Trudi changing her thoughts and her book etc..

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its possible for any person to become a lay educator if you can afford the fees.... This is why I want gp to pay and then I can volunteer at our practice as pay back. Gp's are signing up to federations (amalgamation of services between practices) so it may be possible I could educate within our federation or go freelance totally.

Yes, I know they do type 1, but can't figure out why type 1's do dafne in the main...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They are also doing pre diabetes educator courses

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The lady asked me which educator course I would be interested in... Pre diabetes, t1 or t2. So if not out already, they are coming...
Will let you know when I get the email details sent...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are lay diabetes educators on the Desmond course http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/375.html
There are lay diabetes educators mentioned on some hospital websites such as here http://www.homerton.nhs.uk/our-services/services-a-z/d/diabetes/
There is also the role of diabetes technician. This seems to be someone employed as a health care assistant who does specific training and can be employed in patient education and/or in doing the basic health care checks.
This paper describes their roles in Peterborough http://www.thejournalofdiabetesnursing.co.uk/media/content/_master/3283/files/pdf/jdn17-5-168-74.pdf
Some years ago we had a member on here who did an OU diabetes technician course after T1 diagnosis but said that he couldn't get a job because he had no clinical experience
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-does-a-diabetes-educator-do.3844/#post-22860

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Irrespective of the details it looks like it represents a long-overdue sea-change in 'official' views on low-carbing. Maybe she's seen what the majority of success stories posted on here are about.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Yes indeed, there will be some red faces amongst those who spoke out against lchf when it is generally regarded as a good way to live, and a great way to control blood sugars

Amongst health professionals I mean, but I'm sure they will turn it around so as to always have been advocates

The important thing is lives will be saved

Reactions: 7 people