Ready Brek?

twhincup

I, like many of you, have to change my diet to a more healthier level. Its been suggested to me that i could benefit if i ate porridge for breakfast. Unfortunately my taste buds and i disagree about wether i should throw up instantaniously (obviously i dont want to) when eating porridge, despite trying every single brand on the market :?

So i eventually get round to Ready Brek.............hallelujah :mrgreen: I adore this stuff and cant seem to eat enough of it. my question really "is Ready Brek good for me "

and i am seriously asking this 8)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Best answer is your meter.Do a one hour then two hour test to see what the 'spike' is at one hour.Some can get away with it others can't!

twhincup

Shall try it first thing tomorrow, ty

sugarless sue said:
Best answer is your meter.Do a one hour then two hour test to see what the 'spike' is at one hour.Some can get away with it others can't!

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi twhincup,
I have problems with porridge it plays havoc with my Blood Sugar levels, then again some of the board members can cope with it. If you have a meter and test strips you will neeed to check your readings before and after eating.

Regards Graham

Sue beat me to it :roll:

C

catherinecherub

Hi Thwincup,

I can eat porridge with no problems but I add mixed berries and flaked almonds to it so that it is more balanced and is not just a plate of carbohydrates. Might be worth a try?

Catherine.

twhincup

Its stunning with strawberries or raspberries :D
I said i was asking seriously as it felt a bit of a silly question, but then i started to read the posts about testing, thanks for your replies.

catherinecherub said:
Hi Thwincup,

I can eat porridge with no problems but I add mixed berries and flaked almonds to it so that it is more balanced and is not just a plate of carbohydrates. Might be worth a try?

Catherine.

Trinkwasser

Not a silly question at all! testing is the only way you'll find out for sure, some people are unable to eat most any starches for breakfast, some people can only get away with steel cut oats, some folks can even eat museli in the evening, some people can manage some cereals without problems but spike off others.

twhincup

I did the test, started @ 7.7 and 'spiked' @ 15.5 before returning to 8. I'm no expert but that doesnt seem too bad or does it?

have to say that after denying it for 30 years thinking it tastes like porridge, if it is bad for me i'll be gutted :D as it is now my prefferred breakfast (scrummy with raspberries this morning 8) )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi twhincup.

Was the test before food, then after 1 hr, then again after 2 hrs ?

If you like high spikes then stick with it ??

Personally I prefer to keep my Bg as close to the guideline levels which are as follows:
Fasting (waking)................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 Hrs after meals...............No more than 8.5 mmol/l.

I would not be happy with a 15 or above at any time. Definitely something to be avoided I think.

Ken.

twhincup

the 7.7 was shortly after waking and after a cup of tea, just before the food, 15.5 1 hour after eating then 8 after 2 hours.

twhincup said:
I did the test, started @ 7.7 and 'spiked' @ 15.5 before returning to 8. I'm no expert but that doesnt seem too bad or does it?

have to say that after denying it for 30 years thinking it tastes like porridge, if it is bad for me i'll be gutted :D as it is now my prefferred breakfast (scrummy with raspberries this morning 8) )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi twhincup.

Well, I think we can safely say that whatever you ate that gave you the 15+reading is definitely not good for you ? As Trinkwasser says - it's appalling. Sorry to ruin your brekkie !

Any starchy carbohydrates will possibly spike your Bg quickly along with Fruit Juices etc. You need to go back to the drawing board I am afraid.

Ken. :D

samcogle

Sorry, have to agree I would be scared with a reading of 15 an hour after eating even if it was back down to 8 after 2 hours...sorry too :(

Parselmouth

This happened to me with Grape Nuts, which were the lowest sugar cereal I could find. Now breakfasting on air, with some water.

samcogle

I am getting a bit like this too. had a busy week at work and bought some all bran as the carb count says 7 but 2 hours after eating it my level was 10.4 :?
Is there no protein you can have for brekkie parselmouth?

Spiral

I love oats. I'm not measuring my blood sugar readings yet, but will be starting to do this soon. I plan to conduct some serious research in to what the differnt kinds of oats do in my body

Without getting in to a debate about which diet you follow, when I was reading some of the Glycaemic Index books I have acquired, I found that the different kinds of porridgey breakfasts have very different GI ratings, depending on exaclty how much processing goes on. From what I could see, the smaller the individual particles, the higher the GI rating. There are jumbo oats, porrigle oats, oatmeal (in different sizes), oatbran, instant porrige etc etc

Ready Break must be about one of the most processed forms of porridge you can possibly find (without eating the ones that come in a sachet, already flavoured).

My oat of preference is a jumbo oat :D it has a nice texture to eat and a slightly nutty flavour. Since my diagnosis I have been adding around 50% oatbran because my dad got such a good response in lowering his cholesterol by making no other dietary than a bowl of oatbran porridge daily. His diet was pretty rubbish otherwise :roll:

Now oatbran porridge, without the addition of a proper oat, has a consistency/texture similar to wallpaper paste :shock: (although I have never eaten wallpaper paste), but the flavour is good.

If you like porridge, you could try experimenting with differnt kinds of oats. You can cook them all in a microwave in less than 3 minutes for a single serving. I do this at work every day.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my dad got such a good response in lowering his cholesterol by making no other dietary than a bowl of oatbran porridge daily. His diet was pretty rubbish otherwise

Oatmeal and particularly oatbran are pretty good for you. They contain beta-glucans. These may help with cholesterol reduction, blood pressure reduction, lower blood glucose concentration and even help wound healing see http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2663451
In addition oats have a good amount of thiamine( people with diabetes are often short of it) and a good source of other minerals.
But as Spiral says the gi varies tremendously . I copied 4 examples from the gi website,

Instant oat cereal porridge prepared with water gi 83 gl 30 (very high )
Hot oat cereal cocoa flavor prepared with 125 mL skim milk gi 40 gl 9 ( low !)
Porridge, jumbo oats (Sainsbury's, UK), consumed with 125 mL semi-skimmed milk gi 40
gl 9 (low)

Porridge, small oats (Sainsbury's, UK), consumed with 125 mL semi-skimmed milk gi 61 gl 14 (med)

Trinkwasser

In "research" like this it's hard to tell if the oats are actually beneficial, or just less harmful than the wheat they replace.

Having said which, oatcakes are one of the few starches I can handle and still eat regularly.

I favour Nairns because unlike some other brands they don't put wheat in them.

Curiously I also spike badly from wheat bran, especially All Bran.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
twhincup
There's another answer if you really MUST have the Redy Brek. Have much less of it. then if you are hungry, have an egg. THEN check BG after an hour. 15.5 is not a good idea.
Have you tried cut oats rather than round ones?
I can't tolerate any of them, but you might.

Thirsty

Trinkwasser said:
Curiously I also spike badly from wheat bran, especially All Bran.

Me too. All-Bran does contain a lot of added sugar, though.

Wheat Bran (86%), Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

linky.

Very healthy. :shock: