High blood sugar levels on low carb diet!

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi all .
This is my second week on a low carb diet (under 50g a day). The first week went well with better control of blood sugar level, but this week seems to have gone down hill.
Eg. This morning blood sugar level 5.7. Had a cheese and mushroom omelette and injected 2 units humalog (which was perfect for this meal last week), but today by 12 noon my blood sugar level was 15. With similar values the past 3 days. I am in moderate ketosis on a wee stick. Any ideas why there is such a change? Do you think it is related to the ketones in my blood?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about your activity levels?... are you doing (or have you done) anything different this week to last week?

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Ok just thought i would add that I injected 6 u with lunch ( chicken and brock) at 1.15 and at 3.15 still 14. So I've injected 8 more u let's hope that works

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
I drop it from 12u am 12 u pm. To 10 and 10 but put it back up last night

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's possible that you may just be going down with something that you weren't aware of.

Reactions: 2 people

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
No I don't think so, my levels did go down to 7.4 after my last injection but I'm just getting frustrated about it I thought it might be the ketones I was doing so well last week !

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few questions:

What's your protein intake like? Excess protein gets converted to glucose on a low carb diet.

Is your basal correct? I.e. Are your before bed and before breakfast readings consistent?

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi yes they have been ok and I did lower my basal from 12u am and the same pm to 10 and 10 when I started low carbing because I was waking up a bit low , but have put it back up because of the high , yes my protein is on the high side 200g ish per day but this has not changed

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi yes they have been ok and I did lower my basal from 12u am and the same pm to 10 and 10 when I started low carbing because I was waking up a bit low , but have put it back up because of the high , yes my protein is on the high side 200g ish per day but this has not changed
Yes, protein will only be converted to glucose in the absence of carbs. It's easier for your body to convert carbs to glucose than it is protein. Hence, when you started to low carb, your body started to convert the protein to glucose.

Maybe you could try decreasing your protein portion and making the calories up with fat?

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Thanks I will try my fat intake is 120g give or take per day

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
With a split such as you have and if you are doing gym work, your body will use protein to create glucose as it is easier to do a breakdown of protein than fat, especially if you are not yet fully keto-adapted.Once keto-adapted it will work slightly differently. Are you cutting at the moment? With that amount of fat and protein, and if you are on less than 30g of carbs a day, your total calorific intake is only about 2000 cals per day.

Also, do you use whey protein shake before or after training? If so, the concentrated whey protein seems to have an effect on my blood glucose level that is similar to carbs when I take it post-weight training, so I need to bolus for it.

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi yes I'm trying to cut
And yes my cals are about 2.200 per day I'm 5.8 and 14st 3 at the moment I've would love to cut down a lot more to se this muscle I've gained, I'm a lot bigger just got that fat layer on . I have a protein shake twice a day this is only my second week in so I'll see I'm going to try a 12 week cut do you think this is ok ?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I spent about 8 weeks last year eating 2000 calories a day. It was macronutrient split on non-training days having 45% of cals from protein and fat each and 5% from carbs. On training days I was eating 15% from carbs and reducing the fat. My body fat went from 25% to 15% in 8 weeks. I was going to the gym 4 times per week and doing 4 superset per workout, each superset being one of each for chest and back in one session and legs and shoulders in the other. Once every two weeks, do a pure arms session. It's hard work but it worked for me. The diet cut out all dairy, soft drinks and carbs other than those in above ground veg, brown rice and sweet potato. It's pretty hard work, but I also gained 8kg of lean muscle mass. I'm now trying to get to single figures and it is extremely hard work...

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Wow congrats on all your hard work and thanks for the help it very much appreciate , I been having a cheese omelette for breakfast should I cut this out to ? I also drink deit lemonade in the evening will this have to go

seasidegirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there - noted your protein intake at 200g a day. I have read that the average person needs no more than 50-75g protein daily. Google may
provide more specific information.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd go for something like a chorizo or salami omelette for breakfast. Still getting the 500 calories, but without the dairy. In the evening you probably shouldn't have the diet lemonade either for a couple of weeks and stick with still or sparkling water.

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Thanks for all you help it's been a great help could you please tell me what you eat on a typical day when you was cutting on 2000 cals to give me more of an ideas thanks
Peter