morning every one can i ask my nurse has put me on lyxumia dont like side affects

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
been on metformin for two years now and my nurse has put me on lyxumia realy don't like the side affects have ing more time off work prob lose my job when I go in .im on my 2nd written warning .what do I do stop all medication so I don't go sick .ive spoken to the so called EQUALITY ADVISORY SURPORT SERVICE and they cant tell me wether im coverd by the act or not .a lot of help the are. dose any one else had the same problems .PLEASE HELP

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When your sickness record is reviewed your diabetes and the side effects of medication should be taken into account. I'm not too sure but I'd have thought you should be covered. Why not go back to your Dr and see if there is any other medication that you can change to?

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
hi daphne917. thanks .trouble is ive ha 3 different blood preasure tablets I went through chest pains with them till the found the right one for me .metformin upset me big time when I 1st started it so they put me on slow release then uped my dose to 4 a day upset me again went back down to 3 again got put on another med cant remember what it was called it didn't work so put on another which upset me again now on lyxumia injections which the side affects are wereing of slowly go back and face the music on Saturday and see if im still inployed .my nurse has toll me if this one dosnt work the its sulphonylureas or insulin but im already 19 stone and its back to sq one again time off work due to medication side affects again .it would be easyer not to bother with takeing any medication .

C

catherinecherub

What side effects are you getting?

How long have you been taking it? Sometimes these medications take a while to settle.
What is your diet like? Some people can change their diet and begin to feel a lot better and reduce their medications.

As for the worry about employment, you could ring CAB, talk to your Union or even speak to someone at the Careline on diabetes.org.uk.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Careline/

If you have been on this medication for a while and it does not suit then you need to make your Health Care Team aware as it is no good feeling so ill that you cannot work.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi daphne917. thanks .trouble is ive ha 3 different blood preasure tablets I went through chest pains with them till the found the right one for me .metformin upset me big time when I 1st started it so they put me on slow release then uped my dose to 4 a day upset me again went back down to 3 again got put on another med cant remember what it was called it didn't work so put on another which upset me again now on lyxumia injections which the side affects are wereing of slowly go back and face the music on Saturday and see if im still inployed .my nurse has toll me if this one dosnt work the its sulphonylureas or insulin but im already 19 stone and its back to sq one again time off work due to medication side affects again .it would be easyer not to bother with takeing any medication .

Paul - I can understand why you would be feeling stress with all that's going on. I understand that diabetes is covered by the Equality Act, but thankfully, I've never had to dig any deeper to understand the details. If you do a search on here, you will be able to find a few threads where this has been discussed. You're not the first, or last who will unfortunately find themselves in this situation.

Looking deeper to your underlying condition, it sounds like you've struggled to keep your numbers in the satisfactory ranges, or you wouldn't be on the meds you are, with the prospect of insulin looming?

I've been fortunate to be able to tackle my condition by diet and exercise alone. I'll never be completely sure, but I was probably lucky enough (!?) to be diagnosed fairly soon after becoming diabetic, but I have also worked very hard on the diet and exercise side of things because I really wanted to avoid medication. Modifying what I ate really made an enormous difference to how my bloods scored up. Have you found a way of eating to manage your bloods, or are you relying on the medication you have been prescribed?

It might be time to really look at what might be influencing your bloods. If you could get those into an improved range you might be able to reduce some of your meds. If you want to, I'm sure people here would help you along the way.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, here's some info from a patients leaflet by the manufacturer. If you weren't given it when you were put onto the medication then it may be of some use.
https://www.diabetesmatters.co.uk/sites/default/files/102036_LYXUMIA_A5_24pp_BOOKLET_v02_iPad.pdf

The most common side effects of Lyxumia are nausea
(feeling sick), vomiting (being sick) and diarrhoea.
These are usually mild and will disappear over time.
There are a number of things you can do if you are
feeling sick.
• Eat small amounts regularly instead of large meals.
Do not stop eating though.
• Eat simple food such as dry toast, plain biscuits,
crackers or baked potatoes, and sip cool (not cold)
carbonated drinks.
• Try peppermint, camomile or ginger tea, as they may
help to calm the stomach.
• Drink plenty of fluids.
• Keep a note of foods and smells that make you feel
worse, and avoid them if you can.
• There may be remedies available to help you if you
are feeling sick in the first week or two. Ask your
doctor or nurse if you think this would help you
(personally, i'd make sure that any carbonated drink was sugar free and be careful about the toast etc since they may be rather counterproductive)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your fairly high weight implies you have insulin resistance. Probably the most important thing for you to do is to review your diet and substantially reduce the carbs if you haven't already done so. If you can get nearer to a normal BMI thru diet then you may be able to stop having the injections and possibly even the Metformin although this is very safe and with few problems (have the SR Slow Release version if it gives you bowel problems)

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
What side effects are you getting?

How long have you been taking it? Sometimes these medications take a while to settle.
What is your diet like? Some people can change their diet and begin to feel a lot better and reduce their medications.

As for the worry about employment, you could ring CAB, talk to your Union or even speak to someone at the Careline on diabetes.org.uk.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Careline/

If you have been on this medication for a while and it does not suit then you need to make your Health Care Team aware as it is no good feeling so ill that you cannot work.
hi ive been on it for a week now going on the highter dose next week

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
Hi. Your fairly high weight implies you have insulin resistance. Probably the most important thing for you to do is to review your diet and substantially reduce the carbs if you haven't already done so. If you can get nearer to a normal BMI thru diet then you may be able to stop having the injections and possibly even the Metformin although this is very safe and with few problems (have the SR Slow Release version if it gives you bowel problems)
slow realease are a lot better don't get any problems with sr