Occupational Health and Diabetes

Jimbob2k

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,

I have just been referred to OH for a medical assessment by my employer. I have been with my employer for over 2.5 years and have only had 1 day off sick in all that time, although this was not diabetes related.

I currently work 4 shifts per week but these shifts are 10 hours long and involve varying rotas that can start early in the morning (0600) and some that end late in the evenings (1900). Every week is different and even lunch times can vary between 1100am and 1400pm.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2011. I wasn't working at the time as I have other unrelated medical conditions. My glucose levels were 21.9 when diagnosed. Under treatment with metformin and a much improved dietary regime I managed to get my HbA1c down to 6.8. As this became under control, I asked my GP to carry out a medical to see if my recent improvements for my other conditions (Chronic Spondylosis, arthritis, nerve problems and severe pain throughout my body) through medication, he would pass me as "fit for work" in an office environment. He agreed to this.

Since starting with my employer over 2.5 years ago, my HbA1c results have gradually been increasing. They currently stand at 9.1 and I have been advised that my current diet and eating times might be a factor. Because of this, I have been put on Liraglutide which is a daily injection. My Metformin is now 1000mg twice per day and I have another pill added called Zircon.

My employer advertised a shift rota with slightly reduced hours but finishing earlier in the afternoon. I figured this will help me have time to prepare and cook more healthy family meals and that I wouldn't feel as shattered due to the shifts not being so long which is a factor as to why I end up eating the wrong things. I applied for the shift but my line manager used my Diabetes as an excuse for me to move when he discussed it with HR.

They agreed to give me the shift but wanted to delay it for a few months so my current shifts could be advertised and taken up. I initially agreed, but then pushed to have it changed immediately to the new shift which was how it was advertised. I cited the fact that if my Diabetes were to be used as a factor in deciding to agree to the change I stated that my Diabetes doesn't suddenly go away or fix itself during the months of delay that was being stated. After all, some other shifts were advertised, taken up and changed for other employees without any health issues.

Now, my employer has referred me to Occupational Health citing it is to be "...in line with the Companies Absence Management Procedure". Now, going back to the first line of this thread, I stated I have had 1 day off in 2.5 years through sickness which had nothing to do with Diabetes. I am concerned as to why my employer is referring me in such a way. I have never had any diabetes related incidents during my time with this employer and the only time I take during the course of each day is two minutes in the morning to inject myself, and 2 minutes in the afternoon to check my blood glucose levels, and I do this when I know it is not at a busy time.

I have received a letter with a form to provide consent to my medical records. As none of my other health issues affect my work (I have met 100% of any standards required), and I have never once been late for work, tardy, or unproductive throughout, I want to know if I can agree only for medical records relating to diabetes to be given by my GP. As none of my other health issues have affected my attendance or performance, then I don't see why I need to disclose any of the information related to them to an Occupational Health doctor or to my employer.

Any kind of advice would be appreciated as I am becoming concerned by this.

Thanks
JB

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be that your employer is concerned that if they do not consider all of your health conditions and any 'reasonable adjustments' they need to make to accommodate your needs they could be deemed negligent. It may help if you could check out their policy re their 'absence management procedure'. Possibly this will have some info applicable to anyone with medical conditions even though you have an exemplary attendance record. They could be concerned that as your blood glucose is increasing, and this could be due in part to your work situation.

Are you in a trade union? You could do with some support and advice from someone who understands company law.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. I'll jump in here. Clearly I don't know you or your employer and I don't have a full insight into you or your health; diabetes or otherwise, so I may be concentrating on a tangent.

.I would suggest you may have brought this upon yourself by pressing to have your shifts changed now; citing your diabetes as the reason for that. From what I read, you objected to the delay, for you, citing that your diabetes isn't going to go away or wait for a few months whilst they sort themselves out. By doing this, your employer may have heard a bit of an alarm bell, and they may be concerned that they don't know enough about your condition(s) in order to ensure they are not breaching any regulations or requirements under a wider company policy, or disability laws.

Before you pressed for the changes to happen without delay, was there any sign such an occupational health review on the horizon?

At this point, in your shoes, I might be kicking myself for putting my head above the parapet, inviting this interest, but it's done now. I wouldn't think you should be too concerned at this stage. The review could well just go like clockwork, and give your employer a better understanding of your condition. The review could well express your request for an immediate change, or could firm your employer's resolve to delay until replacements are found.

Have you asked your line manager, or HR why the review is happening? I'd start by doing that. Don't be confrontational, but if you tell your line manager you're a bit surprised by this, hopefully he may be able to settle your misgivings.

Regarding the review itself; I would suggest you request copies of all the records making up the review, so that would be copies of any doctor's report from your GP/Consultant, and the paperwork for the interview/examinations you might have. That way, you will have sight of anything they are using to make decisions. In order to ensure such requests are kept to a reasonable level, your employer may use their right to charge you for copies of this paperwork. It's usually only around £10, and I must warn that you will only be give sight of details relating to you. You will not be given access to any paperwork where you and other employees are discussed.

As I say, I wouldn't be panicking just yet, until you understand why it's all happening.

Let us know how things progress.

Jimbob2k

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Many thanks for the replies. I do think it could be that my employer could be concerned that they may need to consider my health issues so they have a better understanding of any potential issues whilst at work. I know I have brought this on myself by forcing the issue in regards to my diabetes, and my employer is already (recently) aware of all the medication I take as a whole, including all my pain relief, blood pressure and for diabetes.

I will request to see someone in HR next week to discuss why I have been referred under the Absence Management Procedure and how it relates to my issues.

Thanks again, and thanks Catherine for the bumps!

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Sorry to hear of your predicament..
Where I work the absence policy is for absence. But Your manager can request occi health assessment for anyone. This can be to adjust the working environment if necessary if someone has a disability. Did you tell your employer of your medical conditions? You may have panicked your boss as he may think you are going to have them for disability discrimination as you say you wanted the different shifts. Occi health are there to see fair play. Take a union or work colleague with you to any meetings and ask to copied in in all letters. Keep calm in any meetings and do not make any rash decisions. Hope it goes ok.

Reactions: 2 people

Bufger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had that same review with my occ health department today relating to me going back to work following a new diagnosis.

The key things to remember are they act in the interest of both parties but are neutral. They form a recommendation for the employer based on the info you disclose and the medical records and you jointly agree that proposal before it's submitted. In mine it was centred around working hours as I was working too much overtime before and it was seen as a standard requirement. I made it clear I can manage my condition if I have my set meal times and have flexibility around those (ie I'll finish work on time, have dinner on time and then if I need to file a report I'll do it from home instead of late in the office).

It's a chance for them to understand and you to set the boundaries. Don't let them feel threatened either as that may be why they've referred you for this in the first place

Reactions: 4 people

Jimbob2k

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks Bufger, that has eased my mind somewhat!

KLS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...dance/employing-people/work-place-adjustments

This link may be helpful. It seems that the new hours will be under the 'reasonable adjustments' category, possibly because you have asked to bring the change date forward. I think OH are the people to 'authorise' this and the appointment is most likely just a procedure 'tick box' exercise. It might be worth just checking your rights with CAB if you want to be reassured.