Doctors letter for overseas travel?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am travelling to the UAE next week and asked my doctor for a letter regarding my insulin/needles etc. He said I just need to take my prescription and there is no need for a letter. However, everything I have read online says it's better to be safe and to take a letter!

Should I push for a letter or do you think the prescription will be sufficient? Great to hear from anyone's past experiences!

C

catherinecherub

People who have letters have said that they are rarely asked for them. A prescription is a must.
Hope you get more replies.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/faqs#carriageofmedicines
Medicines

Can I take medicines in my hand baggage?
You can take enough essential liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in your hand baggage to cover your journey plus a reasonable amount to cover any delays. Any liquid, aerosol or gel medication not needed on the flight, together with any spares must be packed in your hold baggage.
There are no security restrictions on the carriage of powder or solid based medicines.
Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers of 100ml or less should be either:
  • Placed inside your single transparent, resealable plastic bag no larger than 20cm x 20cm, along with any other liquid items; or
  • Carried separately together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.
Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers over 100ml must be carried separately, together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.
At security, you must present all liquid, aerosol and gel medication for inspection. Following x-ray screening, security officers may also need to carry out additional checks on these items.
The rules above apply equally to homeopathic and children’s medicines.
There is no requirement to contact the airport in advance of your travels.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security/faqs/
I need to travel with medicines and medical equipment – are the rules the same for me?
Passengers are allowed to take essential medicines sufficient for their trip. Amounts under 100ml should be placed in a transparent, resealable plastic bag, with any other liquids. If the container is larger than 100ml it should be presented at security for x-ray inspection. There is no limit on the amount but all medicines will be subject to additional security screening and you will be asked to provide proof such as a doctor's letter.
Passengers may carry non-prescription tablets (e.g. paracetamol), but as with all other medicines they should be properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication and manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label.
Any other medical item that you may need during your flight – including insulin and needles, asthma inhalers, Epi Pen, angina sprays etc. – can be carried, but only the amount necessary for your trip. The rest should be put in your hold baggage.
If you are concerned about the effect of the temperature in the aircraft hold on your medicine, you should speak to your airline directly.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Note to moderators - about time there was a standard message for travel enquiries I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got mine from my diabetes team. Better safe than sorry :)

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a list of my prescriptions and got an insulin passport. Neither of which I was asked about. But I'd take something just incase :)

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had a problem, I suppose I'm lucky that I have a good diabetes team, I only have to ask for the letter and I get one.
I always put all my insulin, needles, syringes etc in a plastic box together with a prescription and a letter, all in my hand luggage. Don't put it in the hold because the insulin will freeze then it will be of no use to you at all. They always check the contents of the box but I explain I'm diabetic and some look at the letter some don't.
Good luck and enjoy your trip

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
It was a few years ago ( 2002) but i was not allowed to check in at venice airport after i answered about having needles and lancets in my hand luggage. they made us wait until the plane had landed and the pilot had to give his permission for me to fly.

I got a letter from my GP a couple weeks after -- but i rarely get asked for it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. I have always just thrown all my D stuff loose in my hand luggage... Never been questioned. I have got letters from my GP in the past. (Especially when I traveled to India.) I have never had to produce that document either!

Having said all that. It would be wise to cover Yer back... ;)

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've traveled a lot since I was diagnosed, and I even went to Saudi Arabia but no one ever asked me for letter (and I always had it)

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I have taken a letter from my GP who stated and signed my medication. My recent GP did this for free but in the past I have been charged around £21. I always carry my tester kit and insulin pen with me in my bag. Had no problem so far but have been asked whether I have any sharp objects on me so this is when I declare my tester kit and pens.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya - i've travelled with my letter to both Zurich and recently France via air and no one asked me for it, type 1's travelling with insulin is fairly common, but travelling to UAE may be different so really it's up to you and probably best to be prepared ;)

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got stuck in security once at the Statue of Liberty because I had a hypo treatment of jelly babies (you werent allowed food). I had to go to the police desk, show them my letter and then my passport to prove it was me! My sister found it hilarious, but I was glad I had my letter!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just came back from Dubai and Saudi Arabia, no one is going to ask you.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an eye opener, I travel a lot, I just have my insulin pens in the normal liquids transparent bag, and needles and testing kit in my hand luggage. I've never been asked for anything, but I may get a dr's letter, on the other hand unless they actually verify it then it isn't worth the paper it's written on.