How long is a fast?

markd

I tested a bit higher than usual (5.2, I am always under 4.9) this morning at 08-30, having eaten some cheese before a much later than usual bedtime of 02-00.

Is six and a half hours a bit too short to be considered as a full fast? Usually, I don't eat or drink after 10pm.

I'd also, unusually, indulged in a couple of scoops of Ben and Jerry's ice cream last night, but that was around 9pm so I'd assume the effects would have worn off by breakfast time this morning?

Not really worried, just wondering.

Mark

sandymaynard

I am type 2, My doctor says a fast is between, 10pm na 10am, i suppose it depends! My doctor says 12 hours is normal!
depends what meds you are on!
I am sure that there are lots of other people on here who are better off to give you the advice! I am unsure but that is what i ahve been told! I am not on any meds!
Sandy

sandymaynard

Hi
I am a type 2, I am not on any meds! My doctor says the best true fasting is for 12 hours is okay!
I am sure that there are other people on here who could give better advice!
Sandy,

markd

sandymaynard said:
Hi
I am a type 2, I am not on any meds! My doctor says the best true fasting is for 12 hours is okay!
I am sure that there are other people on here who could give better advice!
Sandy,

Thanks Sandy, I'm only one one 500mg of Metformin per day (generally lunchtime) so *almost* on no meds, so what is good for you is probably not too far out for me!

Looks like 6.5 hours is way too short then.

Mark.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Medically,fasting is usually considered 12 hours.Depending on what the tests are drinking water may be permitted during that time.

markd

sugarless sue said:
Medically,fasting is usually considered 12 hours.Depending on what the tests are drinking water may be permitted during that time.

OK, my before breakfast reading is normally after 10 to 11 hours fasting; last night was only six and a half and that probably made quite a difference then.

Mark.

dr.sweet

it seems that the fasting time is between 10-12 hours , which all people need to sleep at least 10 ours in order to be healthy .

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
So. If I am only getting between 5 and 6 hours sleep a night. I,m not healthy then ? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
markd said:
I tested a bit higher than usual (5.2, I am always under 4.9) this morning at 08-30, having eaten some cheese before a much later than usual bedtime of 02-00.
Is six and a half hours a bit too short to be considered as a full fast? Usually, I don't eat or drink after 10pm.
I'd also, unusually, indulged in a couple of scoops of Ben and Jerry's ice cream last night, but that was around 9pm so I'd assume the effects would have worn off by breakfast time this morning?
Not really worried, just wondering.
Mark

I think there may be some confusion here over the term 'fasting.'
As Sue says the normal fast for the purposes of having a blood sample taken for something like a HbA1c test would be around 12 Hrs. No food to be taken.

However, when you take a Bg reading with your meter on wakening that is also called a fasting test. It is not the same thing. Therefore if you went to bed at midnight and tested at 7am that is still considered a fasting test for a meter reading. even if you only sleep for just a few hours.

Hope that helps.
Ken.

Chanah

I don't have the reference to hand (I'll try to find it), but I've read studies that sleep disturbance, OR - getting less than 7 or 8 hours sleep per night can make your blood sugar higher if you do it routinely. It may be a factor in overweight, too.

Which has me a bit worried, because I'm a world-class insomniac. I believe it was something to do with melatonin, body clocks, and blood sugar - apparently the more whacked your first two, the more likely it was to give you high blood sugar.

All I can find on the Net is some summaries, but start here:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... 2_diabetes

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi chanah.

I too need very little sleep. My Bg levels in the mornings are really good. I feel great and I am always lively during the day and long evenings. Done it for a long time now.
I don't think I am going to be too bothered about a supposed lack of sleep. I know how I feel.

Too many experts think they know what is best for us. Me, I make up my own mind.

Mind you, we are all different. :D

Chanah

If you feel good then it's probably a non-issue. I always wake up feeling hung-over, and that''s without benefit of alchohol the night before!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Alcohol. I wish. One and a half pints of Guinness a week is my limit. :(