Diabetic nurse rant...

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a beautiful baby congratulations. Don't worry over the so called professionals, they think that everyone should be a text book case, but unfortunately we're all different. That puts a spanner in the works for them. Think maybe they should take their heads out of the books and treat the individual and not the stereotype from the text books.
You are doing a fantastic job and lets face it, at the end of the day we are all left to deal with our diabetes 24/7.

Reactions: 4 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ladybird :) he really is the most beautiful baby in the world ever !! I'm serious no others come close :). I still cry just looking at him sometimes he's fukin awesome :)

Reactions: 2 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We do shifts looking after him (paranoid parents, we've been married 17 years and trying for a baby for 10 eventually got him through IVF) and I've gotta say I love it, everyone fusses over him all day but 11pm till 6 am it's just me and him asleep on my chest chillin with me sippin on wine playing online :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
We do shifts looking after him (paranoid parents, we've been married 17 years and trying for a baby for 10 eventually got him through IVF) and I've gotta say I love it, everyone fusses over him all day but 11pm till 6 am it's just me and him asleep on my chest chillin with me sippin on wine playing online :)
The joy of parenthood, I envy you going through this time:):)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I just can't get over how much really bad advice is spouted by so called professionals, the dietician lady told me I should be eating at least 30% carbs per meal and sugar was fine in moderation :(
One of the best things you can do is to get angry and not accept this ****!
Unfortunately my DNS was just like yours. I am type 2 and was told off for not stuffing myself with carbs. I have fought against my doc who asked me after a month if I was still following that stupid diet. I simply smiled and mentioned my weight loss. I did have a fab doc for a while but he left:(
Sadly I had let myself go rather spectacularly since uni days and had piled on the stones. My lchf diet has enabled me to ditch 4 stone in weight and bring my bs down to the 5s. The DNS at our clinic refuses to see me. I attended the education course at the hospital which promoted the healthy plate diet. I just smiled smugly and gave my stats when asked. They recommended I eat more carbs. :facepalm:
There are a couple of sites which may interest you:
http://authoritynutrition.com
www.dietdoctor.com
The guy who runs diet doc is a doc in Sweden who is very pleasant and responds to emails. I have checked him out. Like you, I like to have facts at my finger tips.
Do bear in mind that you can ask to speak to someone else - another DNS or a doc. You do not have to deal with this halfwit!
Good luck! You are doing really well! :D

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Britincali, you're incredibly sussed and your babe is utterly adorable (ah, nostalgia), but you're being mindful with the wine? You know I'm sure that more than a certain amount of wine with insulin can come back and kick you in the butt and drop your blood sugars rather a lot. Be careful. Long term, that much booze might not be the best.

I know crying newborns at night is a very special kind of ordeal. Laila had colic for six weeks of the first two months and I used to go to sleep with her on my chest singing to myself as a comfort from the screaming. It must have worked, because I would wake up in the morning and she was sound asleep.

You're so good at making choices for yourself and your babe that I'm sure you'll do the right things.

Power to you, Lucy

Reactions: 6 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Am very very careful with alcohol and in the beginning would check myself every half hour when having a drink, to my amazement (and joy) ive found booze has almost zero affects on my sugars.

The only time I did notice a change was the day after a skinfull of Guinness my numbers were in the 9s all day.

Red wine and lager have no noticeable affect on my numbers :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on Yer child @britincali .

Booze for me as an occasional treat..
Funny enough I had a glass of red with a meal last night & unusually dropped like a stone an hour later halfway through a "chancy" second glass..

On the whole though a scoop of vodka & diet will keep me steady till morning..

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood sugars aside, do be careful with the wine around babies. There's a real danger of falling asleep and rolling on top of the baby, causing smothering. If you're on watch I really wouldn't recommend drinking more than one glass. It's also useful in case you have a paediatric emergency and need to drive anywhere.

That aside, he really is lovely :) Reminds me of my two. And the youngest was only two years ago! Congratulations.

Reactions: 3 people

chubble30

Ignore the stupid nurse and make a complaint against her my daughter was told exactly the same as you a month after diagnosis and she now refuses to deal with this nurse at all - found out that the other staff don't think highly of her either!!!! You are doing great x

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
but 11pm till 6 am it's just me and him asleep on my chest chillin with me sippin on wine playing online :)

I don't want to sound like some puritan but please watch this; co-sleeping with booze and babies can go badly wrong especially when they are this tiny. It is a joyous thing to snooze with your baby but you have to be aware of how you sleep and make sure they do not get squashed or pushed up against pillows/duvets for obvious reasons. Imagine the horror of that.

Also, it will pay off in terms of sleeping through the night if you get the little chap happy with sleeping on his own from as early as possible. We did that with my youngest and he's a brilliant sleeper, we didn't with our second one and are still having to bribe him to stay in bed and he's almost 4.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 7 people

Nyadach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DSN's come in many different flavours sadly. Some good, some lousy. Same with consultants and GP's sadly. I've had some who would just mutter and tell me what to do, and others who I would end up in a screaming match with. The best DSN (and thankfully current) I've ever had though is the one who actually likes me to argue with her. If she suggests something I don't like I'll say and we go through a whole why do I think that and why does she think that...usually ends with her running off to grab the consultant or dietician to break the deadlocks though (only lost a couple of times though). But that kind of ability to discuss everything in detail and throw each others side to it, I personally feel makes the better DSN's as it shows they are listening, and open to everything I'll say as much as what they are saying.

Consultants can usually be nodded and agreed with through (even if you really don't agree). Although nearly all will find something to fiddle with if only to show they are doing something on your medical records.

With GP's I have a saying for them being like lancets. You have one which is great and lasts for ages till it utterly packs in, while others you use once and throw.

As DIllinger says above, careful with the drink though. It causes lots of issues with our levels. And watch the number of lows in there also. Hypo's and drink on board isn't pretty!

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to sound like some puritan but please watch this; co-sleeping with booze and babies can go badly wrong especially when they are this tiny. It is a joyous thing to snooze with your baby but you have to be aware of how you sleep and make sure they do not get squashed or pushed up against pillows/duvets for obvious reasons. Imagine the horror of that.

Also, it will pay off in terms of sleeping through the night if you get the little chap happy with sleeping on his own from as early as possible. We did that with my youngest and he's a brilliant sleeper, we didn't with our second one and are still having to bribe him to stay in bed and he's almost 4.

Best

Dillinger

Hi Dillinger, I do not and will not let my self snooze or drift off while I have him in my arms, it's always only on the sofa and never in the bed, at the sign of sleepiness he goes straight back in his Moses basket and I get into bed ;)

That's why im so active on the forum at night ;) lol

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
here's today's effort. (Including 2 pints of carling and a bottle of wine from 6 to 9.30pm)

I would also add that that's a LOT of alcohol. Assuming that your wine is around the 12% ABV mark you're looking at 9 units for one bottle, plus a couple of units per pint of Carling. That much drinking can't be too clever for either your liver or your waistline.