High blood sugar levels on low carb diet!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wow congrats on all your hard work and thanks for the help it very much appreciate , I been having a cheese omelette for breakfast should I cut this out to ? I also drink deit lemonade in the evening will this have to go

With a meal like a cheese omelette I have to split-dose to avoid high bg levels going high a few hours after eating, so for myself it means taking 2 units before the meals and 2 units again 2-3 hours after, otherwise I'd be in double figures (much like yourself) before my next meal-time

But it's trial & error, try split-dosing but do be careful and monitor your bg levels closely and be aware that you'll have a slight overlap of your insulin doses if you do take this approach. Good luck.

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
With a meal like a cheese omelette I have to split-dose to avoid high bg levels going high a few hours after eating, so for myself it means taking 2 units before the meals and 2 units again 2-3 hours after, otherwise I'd be in double figures (much like yourself) before my next meal-time

But it's trial & error, try split-dosing but do be careful and monitor your bg levels closely and be aware that you'll have a slight overlap of your insulin doses if you do take this approach. Good luck.
Thanks for that i will try that . Do you think it's the protein or the cheese ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for that i will try that . Do you think it's the protein or the cheese ?

More than likely the protein, as in the absence of carbs it converts to glucose by around 50%, but fat can also effect bg levels when too much is consumed.

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
More than likely the protein, as in the absence of carbs it converts to glucose by around 50%, but fat can also effect bg levels when too much is consumed.
So I should inject 50% of what I would for carbs ? Man this is hard to get right ! Protein = glucose. carbs = glucose .and fat omg think I'm going to just stop eating ! It was so much easier to be over weight and not going to the gym.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I should inject 50% of what I would for carbs ? Man this is hard to get right ! Protein = glucose. carbs = glucose .and fat omg think I'm going to just stop eating ! It was so much easier to be over weight and not going to the gym.

I've no idea what you should inject as we are all individuals, meaning what works for one may not work for another.

As said it's all trial and error when you bolus for meals where carbs are minimal, don't give up as I'm sure you'll get there in the end, just keep a detailed diary of the food you've eaten and pre and postprandial bg readings, that way you can look back and see what worked and didn't work.