Can Type 1 Diabetics eat Chocolate ?!

ukocyigit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all I love chocolate but unfortunately I am diabetic. I almost eat 40 gr chocalate a day and my bg level between 5,5-7 mmol. Furthermore im not fat and chocolate doesn't affect diabetic control. Is it has else harm?

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes in moderation and as long as you bolus for it.

I'm a chocoholic but limit myself to 3 choc digestives or a couple of small pieces of a bar.

One chocolate digestive is 2 units of novorapid for me or one mmol of blood sugar, I use the choc digestives to bring me up if I'm low.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like dark chocolate? I was never a fan of it but since being diagnosed with T1 I tried Lindt's 90% bar and it is really delicious and has MUCH less sugar/carbs than regular milk chocolate. Worth a try!

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Do you like dark chocolate? I was never a fan of it but since being diagnosed with T1 I tried Lindt's 90% bar and it is really delicious and has MUCH less sugar/carbs than regular milk chocolate. Worth a try!
I love Lindt dark choc. We only get the 85% here - I'd love to try the 90%.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, Lindt high cocoa solids chocolate is fantastic and no problem for diabetics in moderation. The trouble is once you acquire a taste, it is totally addictive.

Reactions: 4 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldi and lidl have 81% and 85% cocoa solid choc bars at a good price.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hotel chocolate do a low sugar chocolate. It's not diabetic chocolate with sweeteners it's just made with more cocoa and less sugar. Expensive but nice for a treat now and again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It depends on when you were diagnosed as to the answer you'll get.

From my point of view, Diabetics shouldn't eat chocolate regularly, as that was what was drummed into me after diagnosis, as it requires extra insulin and has the potential to spike blood glucose levels. Have it only as a treat.

From a DAFNE point of view, the answer is go ahead as long as you bolus for it correctly, which you seem to do.

From an eating sensibly point of view, eat small amounts of it in moderation as it isn't particularly good for you.

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
It depends on when you were diagnosed as to the answer you'll get.

From my point of view, Diabetics shouldn't eat chocolate regularly, as that was what was drummed into me after diagnosis, as it requires extra insulin and has the potential to spike blood glucose levels. Have it only as a treat.

From a DAFNE point of view, the answer is go ahead as long as you bolus for it correctly, which you seem to do.

From an eating sensibly point of view, eat small amounts of it in moderation as it isn't particularly good for you.

you have echoed my thoughts exactly:)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First of all I love chocolate but unfortunately I am diabetic. I almost eat 40 gr chocalate a day and my bg level between 5,5-7 mmol. Furthermore im not fat and chocolate doesn't affect diabetic control. Is it has else harm?

Certainly your postprandial bg readings are good and if your not overweight then that is good also news, but I don't think eating chocolate everyday is healthy whether you have diabetes or not, try and change to a 85-90% cocoa chocolate as you tend not to eat as much as you would with normal chocolate and it is better for you, but if you don't like the high cocoa chocolate then just eat it your chocolate as a special treat, say once a week as you will enjoy it all the more, but the choice is yours at the end of the day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Green & Blacks 85% Dark Chocolate which has very low added sugar. Anything below this % has rapidly increasing suagr

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm Emma and I am a big time chocoholic. I eat chocolate everyday. Yes. It's true. I need help.

I've recently gone low carb and have 2 squares of lindt 90% each day. I believe in the flavonols and that dark dark choc is good for you. Although I did eat a 2g carb salad then 10g carbs of M&Ms for lunch! Probably not the best example.

As long as you eat chocolate within your recommended allowance of sat fat, calories etc then some a day is ok.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yum, my dark medicine!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I have 2 Squares of over 85% cocoa dark chocolate every night - Lindt, green and blacks or Lidl's. I'm kind of addicted to it but it has no affect on my sugars so no harm done.

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like everyone else has said enjoy your chocolate. You just have to count your cp's, a little won't hurt you. I have read that DARK chocolate helps to control stress, which is bad for us diabetic's. Win win I think :)

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prior to having Diabetes I had a very sweet tooth but hated Dark Chocolate.

I now really like the 100% chocolates that Hotel Chocolat do and the Lindt 90% is also very good.

Thorntons also do some nice dark chocolates, just avoid their Diabetic range.

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the rest of the comments on here about dark chocolate. When I indulge I have 6 squares of Green and Blacks 85% dark chocolate and it doesn't seem to have any affect on my blood sugar. Plus in moderation it is actually good for you. Oh, and it goes lovely with a nice full bodied red.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Of course you can eat chocolate, not loads of it at once obviously, but if you sugar is low or if you have taken enough insulin to cover it then it is fine.
I think taking 2 units of Novorapid, as one person said, for 1 digestive is a bit much, that would then be 6 units for 3 biscuits?
I have enough chocolate in my fridge to open a corner shop...and how good is it when you check your blood sugar and it is circa 2.4...brilliant!

elaine77

I don't think chocolate is any worse for type 1 diabetics than it is for non-diabetics. You can eat it and inject for it but at the end of the day it's not a healthy option really but that applies to diabetics and to non-diabetics. So long as you're not overweight I don't see the harm. Everything in moderation, nothing in excess as they say.

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you bolus correctly (is bolus even a verb?) you can eat most things, even sweets.

Whether you should or not is a different matter. Before I clamped down hard on my diabetes I would eat a whole packet of jelly babies sometimes and inject accordingly, I dread to think of the sugar spike and resulting crash...