New insulin Lilly Peglispro

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ow!! You all right now?

Thanks Lucy, just about. I had to spend five days in hospital and had two dissolvable stents fitted to a coronary artery under angioplasty. The surgeon couldn't be sure if the narrowed artery had caused my "event" (I have to call it that as it felt for all the world like a heart attack, but the tests for that proved inconclusive) but they sorted it anyway to prevent any future issues. All the rest of my arteries look good and my heart is healthy.

But I'd forgotten my Levemir the night before (I was only on one dose per day then) and consequently my BG was over 25. The doctors think it made me so dehydrated that it could have lowered my blood volume and caused me to pass out. Very scary stuff, I had 30 seconds' warning with chest pain and then fainted outside Krispy Kreme, of all places.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, but maybe the Humapen Memoir will work with Sanoffi cartridges. I used the Lilly Humapen HD with Sanoffi's Apidra for years because Sanoffi didn't have a half unit pen. I only changed over to the Sanoffi JuniorStar pens a few weeks ago when they became available. It worked fine.

Smidge

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, but maybe the Humapen Memoir will work with Sanoffi cartridges. I used the Lilly Humapen HD with Sanoffi's Apidra for years because Sanoffi didn't have a half unit pen. I only changed over to the Sanoffi JuniorStar pens a few weeks ago when they became available. It worked fine.

Smidge
I used to use an older Humapen with Lantus carts, but had to put an open needle on when I changed the cart because it would squirt several units out before you could twist the body home. Other than that, it worked OK.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Lucy, just about. I had to spend five days in hospital and had two dissolvable stents fitted to a coronary artery under angioplasty. The surgeon couldn't be sure if the narrowed artery had caused my "event" (I have to call it that as it felt for all the world like a heart attack, but the tests for that proved inconclusive) but they sorted it anyway to prevent any future issues. All the rest of my arteries look good and my heart is healthy.

But I'd forgotten my Levemir the night before (I was only on one dose per day then) and consequently my BG was over 25. The doctors think it made me so dehydrated that it could have lowered my blood volume and caused me to pass out. Very scary stuff, I had 30 seconds' warning with chest pain and then fainted outside Krispy Kreme, of all places.

Wow, that is awful! Glad you're okay now. It would be really good to know if that event was related to the lack of insulin though!

Is your work really physical? or where you drinking lots of coffee or doing particularly dehydrating work? The explanation seems plausible as high sugars causes vasoconstriction which causes arteries/veins to narrow.

Also - You really should try the cartridge pens again, i switched from disposable and cartridges are much better as you don't have to store or travel with extra full pens, just the small little cartridges. Its easier on the fridge and bag space haha Plus the pens are just much nicer to use, like luxury diabetes haha

Reactions: 2 people

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that is awful! Glad you're okay now. It would be really good to know if that event was related to the lack of insulin though!

Is your work really physical? or where you drinking lots of coffee or doing particularly dehydrating work? The explanation seems plausible as high sugars causes vasoconstriction which causes arteries/veins to narrow.

Also - You really should try the cartridge pens again, i switched from disposable and cartridges are much better as you don't have to store or travel with extra full pens, just the small little cartridges. Its easier on the fridge and bag space haha Plus the pens are just much nicer to use, like luxury diabetes haha

Thanks Matt. My work involves sitting at a desk and writing code as well as managing a team of fellow nerds; it's about as unphysical as you get! :) I do drink a bit of coffee though. I'd got to work in the morning and taken about half my Levemir which I should have taken the night before, as I didn't have my blood testing equipment with me in work so I couldn't be sure if I had forgotten it or not (I was feeling grotty but I'd been ill for a while, so chalked it up to that). I planned to go home at lunchtime and check what was happening.

In hindsight it was a very silly thing to do - I should have returned home straight away and sorted myself out, but being diabetic for so long made me a bit blasé - not any more, I might add. I was probably showing the first signs of DKA as well when I got to hospital.

On the plus side, I found out that the best way to blag a free donut from Krispy Kreme is to faint outside, even though I couldn't eat it. The more you know...

I'll chat to my DN about the cartridges. Seems like a good idea. I must admit though, I do like the thought that if something happens to my pen at the moment, I have a whole bunch more at home. Do you get a spare with the Echo?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not have a spare echo, but i do keep spare disposable pens of Novorapid and Lantus at home in the event that the pen breaks, or gets lost/left somewhere.

However, 10 cartridges take up half the space as 10 disposable pens. And if you where ever to travel and needed backups i would take my pen with cartridge loaded, an extra cart and a disposable pen, rather then 3 disposable pens. If you're going to somewhere civilized you may be okay with just taking extra carts as you would likely be able to buy a new pen if yours breaks or is lost (you'd need one anyway ).

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea Batman, you've given me some food for thought. Thanks.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can get the refillable pens on the NHS via prescription, so I keep two on me of different colours (one for each of Levemir and Novorapid) and then have a spare of each at home.