Worst date ever!

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
So went on first "date" well to be honest it was spoons mid day on a Sunday. So met up everything was going incredibly well until lunch arrived! Still getting used to it only my 2nds meal out since being diagnosed but every T1 I have met and asked as always said to me not to skulk of to do insulin as hiding it will do nothing to help me accept that I am T1. Obviously didn't broadcast the fact but did not hide it either anyway. Mention that if we went out id have to take my insulin with me and the like to which they were fine with. Second I went to put needle on the pen she freaked made the biggest scene in the middle of spoons not the best confidence boost for anyone just diagnosed T1. Finished our food and parted company needless to say wont be seeing her again. Not sure what the issue was as other than ewwws and squeeling she didn't really explain herself.

Was wondering what other peoples experiences of introducing others to there diabetes was. Currently having mega issues with friends either freaking out or treating me like I am made of glass its really not helping me acclimatize but I refuse to hide the fact I am diabetic from people to be treated normally

Reactions: 17 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well, all I can say is it's her loss. What away to carry on. Next time, with someone else, best just go for a drink, a coffee that sort of thing. Not too long to endure if it's not going well, and also you could talk about Type 1 and if she wants to see your Insulin pen and meter, just show her, see her reaction. and take it from there.

Good luck and all the best :)

RRB

Reactions: 13 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Sounds like you had a lucky escape talk about drama queen,I also would suggest just going for a drink on a first date and take it from there,as you say you are still getting to grips with the idea yourself I can understand your friends being protective of you as they care and I think it does take close friends and family some time to get used to you having type 1,in a few months time you will look back at this and laugh do what is best for you and look after yourself.

Reactions: 8 people

Nyadach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happens sadly :( Then you get those who cringe at even a simple finger test let alone a needle. Not worth the hassle really!

Reactions: 15 people

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made one bloke faint in an airport once by jabbing in front of him.

It was entertaining for me. Less so for him.

Reactions: 26 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
-- not worth your time mate !!!!
agree with @Robinredbreast though - you have learned and next time start with meeting for a coffee

I can't ever remember getting a bad reaction like that --must be my amazing good looks ---LOL NOT :clown:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry that your date didn't go well, but I wonder how she thought you were going to administer your insulin during your meal, some people do unfortunately have a phobia about needles and it looks like this lady certainly did, I wouldn't let it put you off so keep searching Grkify.

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Honestly it was an actual disaster, could not believe it specially after taking the time to explain to her what I had to do beforehand definitely a lucky escape.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Honestly it was an actual disaster, could not believe it specially after taking the time to explain to her what I had to do beforehand definitely a lucky escape.

Don't let it knock your confidence, there's someone out there for everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
-- not worth your time mate !!!!
agree with @Robinredbreast though - you have learned and next time start with meeting for a coffee

I can't ever remember getting a bad reaction like that --must be my amazing good looks ---LOL NOT :clown:

You ole smoothie you ;)

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was wondering what other peoples experiences of introducing others to there diabetes was. Currently having mega issues with friends either freaking out or treating me like I am made of glass its really not helping me acclimatize but I refuse to hide the fact I am diabetic from people to be treated normally

I lost my best friend soon after diagnosis - the time you need your friends the most and several of mine weren't there for me BUT I also formed new friendships and some people really stepped up :)

just read that back and to clarify by 'lost' I mean she now ignores me!

Well done for not feeling ashamed / embarrassed / etc and good luck for future dates

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost my best friend soon after diagnosis - the time you need your friends the most and several of mine weren't there for me BUT I also formed new friendships and some people really stepped up :)

just read that back and to clarify by 'lost' I mean she now ignores me!

Well done for not feeling ashamed / embarrassed / etc and good luck for future dates

She ignored you because you were diabetic?! Some friend...

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She ignored you because you were diabetic?! Some friend...
Yep! She started leaving me out - not inviting me to nights out and when others questioned it she said I wouldn't want to go as I couldn't drink and then things got awkward and we drifted apart. Not what I expected at all. I thought she'd be the one to support me and serve dinner with the carbs calculated! Oh well ...

Reactions: 4 people

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been lucky my very best friend treats me exactly the same no matter what. to the point If I lost both my legs he would still ask me if I wanted to go out for a walk. Which I love its one constant. Its the not so good friends if that makes sense the ones that you see every other week kinda thing that are driving me a bit potty

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep! She started leaving me out - not inviting me to nights out and when others questioned it she said I wouldn't want to go as I couldn't drink and then things got awkward and we drifted apart. Not what I expected at all. I thought she'd be the one to support me and serve dinner with the carbs calculated! Oh well ...

Better off without her. People like that make my fingernails itch.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
I had a similar experience with someone who knew i was type 1 and had to inject. even did it under the table but when she saw me unscrewing the needle she freaked. better of without someone like that in your life. on another note my nephew and niece love watching and even count to ten for me.

Reactions: 13 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately too many experiences like this over the years is one of the reasons that I don't advertise the fact that I am T1 to people. I feel uncomfortable bringing it up and many people I have known for a while don't even know. I just get on and sort myself out without involving the normal.

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand having a problem watching someone inject, but what your date did to you was just cruel. Some people feel ill at the sight of needles, but they have to recognise that it's their problem, not yours. Also, most people have eyelids, or the ability to turn their heads. When I inject, I'm certainly not doing it to show off. I just enjoy having normal blood sugars. If someone doesn't like the idea of seeing a needle, they can simply turn away. Somehow there are those that would never tell someone their label is sticking out, but don't mind shooting someone down just for doing what they need to survive.

If it's any consolation, these negative encounters are usually pretty rare. I have had close friends that have freaked out at the sight of me injecting, and usually they got laughed at by the other people present. Well done for your positive attitude, you're on completely the right track. A healthy diabetic is one who acknowledges their diabetes. It doesn't define them, but nor does it shackle them with shame.

Reactions: 10 people