Managing diabetes and exercise

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I'm a Level 3 PT and interested to know how you manage exercise along with your diabetes? What types of exercise do you all do? How does is help? What are your challenges? I'm putting a short series of exercise videos together which will be freely available on my YT channel, these will focus on correct technique, initially beginner to intermediate in pace. Would this be of interest?

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hello, I do a little running, body attack classes, kettlebell circuits and boot camp. Occasionally I swim.

Challenges for me lie in exercising enough to get real benefit while neither starting with a sugar too high or finishing with one too low.
I find that I take the insulin I need and make basal rate adjustments before and during exercise.

I have not found a particular type of exercise that gives me quite what I am looking for but like the exercises aImed do.

I use an insulin pump, am 45 with two kids, 10 and 13 and have been diabetic for 34+ years. I would like to loose weight although I am quite fit from regular exercise and busy life.
Interested in ideas and advice,thanks.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm type 2. I'm in much better shape than before I was diagnosed. I'm on a very low carb ketogenic diet and my stamina and energy is light years better than when I was on a high carb low fat diet. It's amazing, really.

I run about 25-30 km a week and lift weights 5 times a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walkies. About three miles a day in woodland and then there's Tesco and the house etc.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I walk about a lot, with and without shopping to and from home/garden tools to & from the allotment (where I do nothing at all at present.) Also I live up 2 flights of stairs.
I am very thin, which is ok since I have a mild heart condition and don't want to carry more weight than I need to. I'm not as strong as I was a few years ago but at 73 I feel ok asking somebody else to lift that wardrobe etc.
On my walks I have several upward slopes, some severe, which I use as benchmarks and if I struggle a bit I try to figure out why. Could be not exercising enough, could be just a down energy day.
In summer I have cycle routes up to 5 miles with similar benchmarks.
I love being in control (or so I imagine) and enjoy feeling a steady flow of energy since going LCHF.
I used a gym for a while after a hip replacement and hated it. I really only like exercising in a practical way, either working or just enjoying the countryside.