Low carb issues

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 and have started a low carb diet. I have seen my sugars stay under better control however no weight loss. I eat mainly sausages, coleslaw, fish and omelette, so why no weight loss??

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Walshdon,
I am a T2 so I am not sure if what works for me, will work for you however when I started off on a LCHF diet, It took me a couple of weeks before the weightloss started to kick in. Although in the time when I wasn't loosing weight I was definitely loosing inches... so stick with it and I am sure it will start to drop off.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you don't eat enough fat? But too much protein? Do you know the macro-nutrient breakdown?

Or as Kezzer says, it can take a few weeks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to get the balance right . If you are eating too few calories your body will go into starvation mode and there will be no weight loss. If you are eating too many calories there will be weight gain. It is essential you increase your fats to compensate for the reduction in carbs, but by the right amount. Do you know how many calories you are eating?

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to agree with Bluetit. You need to calorie count as well as carb count on a low carb diet in order to lose weight. If you are obtaining 80% of your energy from fats but eating 3,500 calories per day, you won't lose weight.

Reactions: 8 people

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am getting around 2200 calories a day, please explain the fats part for me. Is the fats different to protein ?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am getting around 2200 calories a day, please explain the fats part for me. Is the fats different to protein ?
Yes. Fats are butter, lard, etc. protein is the muscle part of meat.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
waslsdon, you are a bit sparing with details ie male/female, height, overweight, do you exercise ets, how much do you want to lose.

you may well be eating too much, but at least you have some idea of your calorie intake.

Assume you eat as follows,

50 grams of carbohydrates per day..................= 50x4 =200 calories

100 grams of protein per day .............................= 100x4 = 400 calories

177.7 grams of fats per day ..................................= 177.7x9=1600 calories

total .............................................................................= 2200 calories.

As you will see carbohydrates and proteins contain 4 calories /gram and fats contain 9 calories/gram

Fats dont contribute much to blood glucose values, but have a very high calorific contribution to your diet.The proteins also need to be moderate because they can contribute to blood glucose if eaten to excess via gluconeogensis.

Maybe this will help you ,otherwise you need to furnish further details .

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Further details .... female 5ft 4in age 33 weight 11.5 stone, low activity sit at desk but take dog on half mile walk most days. Daily food intake is no breakfast, lunch is 4 sausages 100g of coleslaw, dinner 2 beef burgers, 200g coleslaw and fried mushrooms in butter.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Further details .... female 5ft 4in age 33 weight 11.5 stone, low activity sit at desk but take dog on half mile walk most days. Daily food intake is no breakfast, lunch is 4 sausages 100g of coleslaw, dinner 2 beef burgers, 200g coleslaw and fried mushrooms in butter.

Your BMI seems a little bit high, see here http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

which means that you should most probably be eating far less calories. If you eat according to a ketogenic diet ie macronutrient distribution of for example 5%-10% carbohydrate, 15%-20% protein and 70%-80% fats then you should lose weight. I did this and lost 40 Kg ie 88 lbs and have kept it off.

You can also get some idea of your protein requirements from here,http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

Hope this helps, if only a bit.

***** Please note also that I am not type 1 diabetic so that my comments just relate to weight loss and controlling BG using the ketogenic diet. for T2 diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Dunno the wisdom in skipping breakfast but leave that to someone else to comment

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please may I question a couple of things?

1) do you get 8 hours sleep a night?
I ask this because when my hubby only gets 5-6 hrs anight then his weight stays static. When he gets 8 hrs the lbs fall off him.

2) your foods listed don't contain any real proper vegetables. Even if you are going low carb you must have vitamins and minerals from vegetables.

Your body needs a balance to lose weight otherwise your inner organs and bllods suffer in other ways from not getting the correct amount of nutrients it needs in other ways. Ie without vitamins A, C and E and calcium you will not be looking after your bones and teeth and gums etc.

All of these vitamins are necessary to allow your body to function properly. Even weightloss will be hindered without 8 hrs sleep and vitamins..

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The foods you eat for low carb need to be sustainable long term too. This isn't a fad diet it is a lifestyle.

My concern is that you will balance your insulin to match your current food and then re introduce carbs and your bg's will go into fluctuations that will be hard to deal with.

I rarely eat breakfast but when I do its berries, chia seeds, flaxseed and double cream.

Evening meal will be quiche and piles of salad or veg;
Salmon and the veg/salad
Steak and veg/salad
Once a week we will have sweet potato halved each with something.
Etc

Followed by cheese, walnuts and a teasoon of quince jelly

2 sq dark chocolate

We cook with coconut oil. I always have full fat mayonnaise and hubby has extra virgin oil.

This is not actually enough food for me to lose weight but maintains my size 8/10 size. My hubby has lost 4stone by eating this foods and cutting out the **** carbs. My hubby isn't diabetic but has seen substantial improvements in his cholesterol.

My bgs are consistently normal with my consultant always trying to get me to raise my hba1c

We do have glasses of redwine at weekends. We will have peanuts.

We also have the highest strength vitamin tablet possible.

Please consider having a balance of everything.

Reactions: 3 people

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Donnellysdog. I get between 9-10 hrs a night. I do have soups with veg in but your right not many fresh veg. I do eat lots of nuts as snacks. I am a bit of a fussy eater on the salad side but will try more veg. I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Donnellysdog. I get between 9-10 hrs a night. I do have soups with veg in but your right not many fresh veg. I do eat lots of nuts as snacks. I am a bit of a fussy eater on the salad side but will try more veg. I will keep you posted.

Good, I was a little worried.. But more info is allaying those worries a little. Soup is mainly potato of some description which is carb heavy.. Unless you make your own. Nurition wise some are meant to have x amount of veg intake for day... But just got a lot of carbs in compared to meat n proper veg...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
. I am a bit of a fussy eater on the salad side but will try more veg. I will keep you posted.
Yes, do experiment with the greengrocery thing. I'd never eaten celeriac until I came on here and now I love it as a substitute for spud, sliced and covered in cheese on top of a meat or veg bake. Just one example. Also raw white cabbage cut as in coleslaw is sweeter and crunchier than lettuce.