injections hurting

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi flojo1234 here (again!)
i was just wandering if anyone has the same thing as i do? i get quite upset with my injections at 7:30pm but i am mostly fine with the others. sometimes my ones before i eat do give me a bit of trouble but my 7:30pm one always seems to sting that little bit more. i am novorapid before i eat and levemier at 7:30pm. i changed to levemier from lantus because the lantus made my skin red and itchy. :cry: another thing is that i am slightly worried of upsetting my family when i get upset. i have a sister of two ( and she pretends to inject aswell with the pen lid!! :roll: ) please, any advice would be a great help!
chloe.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Chloe.

Not sure what length needles you are using ? Can make big difference.

There is apparently a cream which can be had on prescription which numbs the injection site. Discuss this with your GP etc. Someone else might remember the name. I can't ??

Hope this helps.
Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Chloe
this is your number 1 fan granny Hana
I don't inject, but i do know that doctors have a cream that can be used to numb the skin.
I also know that pain sensors are at different distances apart in some parts of the body. Where are you doing your injections?
Sensors are few and far between on the tummy area. Do you already use that? Also is it the needle or the insulin that stings? A finer needle that takes the insulin just a little deeper may be an answer.
I hope someone else who injects can give you the best answer.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The cream is called Emla.

EMLA®(AstraZeneca)
Drug Tariff cream, lidocaine 2.5%, prilocaine 2.5%, net price 5-g tube = £1.73
On prescription or available at your pharmacist.

Ken

mikey97

Hi my 11 year old had this problem and they changed his needles from 6mm to 4mm and hes not complained again.Sometimes after hes done his night time levemir he gets a shiver going up his body but it lasts for seconds.Hopefully you could try a change of needle size.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi everyone,
thanks for all the advice. everyone is really helpful and you are all really nice friends.my mum said that she thinks that my needles are 8mm. i think that i am going to try the cream and see how it goes at my night time one. i am trying to be brave with my injections but you do need to cry once in a while!! my dog helped me tonight! when i got a bit upset she climbed on to my lap and gave me a hug and a kiss (lick!) and then when i did it she did the same!! :p
chloe

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Yes Chloe
Dogs are wonderful friends. I have 3 at the moment. and your Mum is great too.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hello Chloe,

Do you find that by 7.30 pm the temperature has cooled and that makes your insulin sting. I have been holding my son's insulin in my hand for a few minutes before giving it to him in the early morning and evening. Wiggling your toes and singing is also good to do while injecting.

Crying is quite okay.

Jen

flojos mum

Thanks to everyone for giving Chloe a boost, she is amazing but just doesnt realise it all the time.
I have spoken to consultant about changing needles in past and he said he doesnt want to as it not a constant problem and thinks it is more how she is feeling at the time about her diabetes but there is definatly a pattern to it now, very upset very 4-5 weeks (doesnt take me long to realise what causing that- as it goes hand in hand with higher blood sugars- hormones cant live with them cant live without!!) Hope you dont mind me mentioning your hormones Chloe!- mums can be so embrassing!!!
and generally a problem with her levemir which she does at 7 30 pm.

I have asked him also about Elma cream but he is very much old school and thinks it is just delaying the process of her getting used to the whole routine and every thing that comes with diabetes. Dont get me wrong he is very understanding but is a straight forward got to get on with it type of person and feels very strongly that she shouldn't be a victim and she isn't ill and that the injection is only a small amount of pain 4 times a day- thats ok for him to say not being 11 and having to work through it all.
Just wanted to let every one know how proud I am for my beautiful daughter she is coping better than she realises and I wanted to tell you all of the fantastic presentation she did recently for her whole school on diabetes, her nurse wants to use it for school education it was that good!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Flojo's Mum
To an old retired teacher like me, It's obvious that Chloe is a VERY bright girl. I've noticed eve her spelling has improved.
I am not her number 1 fan for no reason. She will do very well. As mother of a daughter myself( without diabetes) I well remember the "pattern". Is she aiming for medical school? I know she's still young, but it is probably worth thinking about.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Flojosmom said:
I have asked him also about Elma cream but he is very much old school and thinks it is just delaying the process of her getting used to the whole routine and every thing that comes with diabetes. Dont get me wrong he is very understanding but is a straight forward got to get on with it type of person and feels very strongly that she shouldn't be a victim and she isn't ill and that the injection is only a small amount of pain 4 times a day- thats ok for him to say not being 11 and having to work through it all.

Old School ??? Out of the Ark more like. Would he like it if he had 4 painful procedures done every day ? I don't think so. Your daughter is 11 for goodness sake !

No matter how highly you rate this so called Professional he is an idiot !

Go and see your GP and ask that the needles be changed to shorter ones and that Emla Cream be dispensed. At the very least you can buy the cream over the counter at the Pharmacy.
Your daughter deserves better treatment than this. It is disgraceful. I would happily go and tell this guy what I think of his medieval methods myself if I could.
Rant over. :evil:

Ken.

flojos mum

Dear Ken,
you have very valid points about the consultant thoses thoughts have gone through my mind about him several times.
The GP and the diabetic team work very closely together for Chloe which has its positives and negatives and for my daughters sake I have to lisen to their advice and try to get the best out of our relationship with those working at the hospital for her, it wouldn't do Chloe any good if I ranted at the people I am trusting to keep my daughter healthy in front of her when we will be relying on them for the rest of her life.
I also have to be careful what opinions and feeling of my own I write on here as she has become a big fan of this forum and being her mum, with every thing else she is going through she most definatly doesn't need me losing it and ranting on here but thank you for pointing out it isnt acceptable I am working on it. But feel free to rant on my behalf I just have to be diplomatic to keep her relationship with the hospital staff a good one.
All I can do is use all your wonderful knowledge on here to gain more information to suggest things for her that the consultant may not agree with and use the fact that I have gained this knowledge to my advantage.
I work in a pharmacy so know about EMLA cream and have agreed with the GP to buy some tomorrow and try it out with the levemir injection, some times as a parent I guess you have to say to the consultant thank you but we're going to try it our way, if we are wrong then so be it.
The size of her needles do not seem to be a problem with her novorapid injection only the levemir injection causing really distress could there be another reason for it hurting more, she has already been on lantus which was changed about three months ago. Any information greatly received.
Charlie

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi,
have just done my night time injection. i cryed and it took about 25-30 mins to get myself round to doing it. i always say its not fair and when i am feeling sad like that, i think that is very true and i get myself very wound up until i have finally done it. but it is true, i only get really upset with my levemier??! thank you for your comments everything you put really does help! thanks!!
chloe :?