Just out of interest ....

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
I was finally diagnosed in 1999, after my GP and clinic nurse were arguing over if I was or wasn't a diabetic!!

When were you diagnosed and how did you cope with the shock at first?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I went to the docs with stress and came out with type 2.Mind you ,it could have been worse because I thought I had cardiac failure!

Ahmed

I've been diagnosed six days ago, and I didn't feel a thing. My father said it's lucky I have the emotional capacity of a teaspoon.

Tattoo azz

I was 7 when diagnosed way back in 82. It was easy for me to adjust seeing as i didn't know anything different, it got harder during my teens tho and i just said screw this i'll do it my way...hahaha stupid me cos i'm paying for it now. I remember my first injection and that i snatched the needle from the nurses hand saying if i was going to have to inject for the rest of my life then i may as well start now.

sugar2

1977....I was 4. My <Mum gave a Twix for being a good girl....so we obviously have both learned alot since then!

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
This is great, a variety of experiences. What about now, what are your thoughts of having diabetes? Is it something that you feel is just part of life or do you get angry/depressed over it?

Myself, day to day, I take my tablets and it means nothing to me. I have a "wobble" from time to time which can result in not being very reliable with my medication, but then the effects of not taking the meds soon put me back on them.

My son has Cystic Fibrosis and was diagnosed at 5 months old. He will have to take his medication and have physio therapy for the rest of his life. When i look at his situation, and then at mine, I realise how lucky that I am. Unless there are improvements or even a cure, he is not expected to see much of adulthood. If I could swapplaces with him, I would do it right now. I love him so much. Sorry off topic.

I think you know what I am saying though.

Amberella

I diagnosed myself (more or less) about 8 years ago as I kept going to the loo, drinking loads, kept getting thrush which I had never had in my life (age 53 now) and was always tired, so when I saw a poster in the hospital while visiting someone, I thought Eureka! That's all my symptoms and went to the doc and said I thought I had diabetes and when she measured my blood sugar it was about 30 so that was that!

Mal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I discovered I was diabetic four years ago by accident!
I was diagnosed with cataracts, which took the sight from my right eye and affected my left eye too. As one of the standard tests at the clinic they requested a urine sample, this showed the presence of glucose and they asked if I was diabetic?
Having never been diagnosed I said No.
Anyway, it was then found, by my cardiologist, that I am diabetic and the cataracts were a result!
Fortunately I have now had surgery to remove the cataracts and have lens implants that mean I no longer need specs.

I now take 1,000mg of Metformin 3 x daily but my diabetes is unstable and my readings are anywhere between 3 and 20. However, I do wonder though if my four heart attacks, compromised heart valve and other health problems can also be attributed to undiagnosed diabetes or are a result of Ankylosing Spondylitis??

Anybody know a good vet???

jeannieb

i only got diagnosed 3mnths ago i couldnt accept something else wrong last year had tests on my throat and bowel both times they were looking for the big C luckily i was cleared on both.2004 i lost my grandson to leukaemia we were his foster parents so it was very hard for us and him he didnt understand cos he had downs syndrome we spent 16mnths in hosp. till i brought him home so he was with us when he died.On saying that diabetes is a piece of cake if you compare the two so i promised i would not complain anymore and its only being on this site with all my friends that i am getting through this thankyou all so muchxJeannie

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
IanD said:
HOT FUZZ said:
"Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse"

For those who think Latin is what they speak in Latin America "Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse" translates as "You know, Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore".

very funny :p

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
Thanks for your very full reply. (thanks to everyone).

You experience of CF is interesting. James has grown a bug (psudo) on his luncs just recently. He is being treated at home with cypro for 2 weeks and colomycin for 3 monthsvia a nebuliser.

Other than that, he is doing very well (he is 5 years old and a little rat, but I love him to bits).

How is your nephew doing right now? (if you don't mind me asking).

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
I know what you are saying and it is very true. I don't touch wood, I put my faith (1000%) in God. Jesus said "by my stripes, you are healed". What a promise, and all of His promises will come to pass.

When I called James a little rat, you understand that was out of affection and I was just having fun.

You know, he is only 5 years old, but he is in relationship with Jesus and loves Him with a passion. Of course, relationship is what Jesus wants from us all and is there for us all.

God bless you Karen.