Type 1: Prescription fine

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also just got the penalty charge notice through the letterbox today. It appears my exemption certificate has expired... I didn't even realise they did expire!!
Isn't diabetes a chronic condition for which currently there is no cure? We are not going to miraculously recover from the condition any day soon and no longer require meds , so why are we being persecuted by the NHS?
Why are our certificates not being automatically renewed? Isn't this condition challenging enough without this additional stress.
Is this just another unscrupulous way to get some more pennies into the NHS coffers??

Please let me know what others are doing...is anybody challenging these penalties?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
@Spiker, Given that 80% of all Prescriptions weren't being paid for, I'd suggest that is extremely likely.

I was looking at the NHSBSA website and there is a vast amount of data about prescription costs, for example, in September 2014, the NHS spent £25mn on Insulin alone in England.We know that there are roughly 390,000 insulin dependent diabetics in the England, so it works out at £64 per diabetic per month just for prescribed insulin.

September 2014 data also shows that £13.9mn was spent on testing strips, so roughly £30 per Insulin Dependent Diabetic per month (and based on NHS prices for test strips, 2 boxes of 50 per month). What's also interesting is that the most popular Blood test strip by quantity prescribed is the Accucheck Aviva strip.

Have you not forgotten the insulin dependent type 2? As far as I understand it there's a substantial number of the 3.2m who are now on it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ConradJ The number quoted for insulin dependent diabetics includes type 2. Hence why I used IDD and not T1. There are still relatively few T2 using insulin compared to the total number of T2s.

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey, I've never been asked for any proof of exemption in almost 25 years. I guess I had better get a card sorted out. Looks like this is an easy way to raise some money for the government.

Reactions: 2 people

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree...it's crazy!! I've been to my doctors surgery and they couldn't believe it either...after all, I've only been an IDD since 1990!! They are writing a letter for me, so I may have a chance of getting the fine waivered....here's hoping!!
I think it may also depend on how efficient your pharmacy is....unfortunately it appears mine is super-efficient!!
You can get the form for an exemption certificate from your doctors surgery or diabetes clinic....I've now filled one in and sent it off....!!

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi You need an exemption certificate, which you should have obtained and renewed every 5 years after diagnoses.
Basically what you have done is signed your prescription saying you have an exemption certificate when you do not, so as far as the nhs is concerned it's a fraudulent claim. So eat humble pie get the form filled in and signed by your GP and send it off.
Crikey, I've never been asked for any proof of exemption in almost 25 years. I guess I had better get a card sorted out. Looks like this is an easy way to raise some money for the government.

It's not that, the NHS has no ability to charge in a consistent manner across the NHS, nothing to do with government, just sh*t administration of the NHS. I haven't a certificate, and this thread is an eye opener, as a type1 diagnosed two years ago, I just tick the box based on a doctor telling me I have an exemption.

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that, the NHS has no ability to charge in a consistent manner across the NHS, nothing to do with government, just sh*t administration of the NHS. I haven't a certificate, and this thread is an eye opener, as a type1 diagnosed two years ago, I just tick the box based on a doctor telling me I have an exemption.

I was told by the administration that it isn't my condition that provides exemption, it is having a valid certificate...a technicality if you ask me!!

You probably want to get a form filled in and sent off pretty quick...they seem to be on the warpath..!!

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by the administration that it isn't my condition that provides exemption, it is having a valid certificate...a technicality if you ask me!!

You probably want to get a form filled in and sent off pretty quick...they seem to be on the warpath..!!

A technicality for sure, I will get a certificate just to avoid any hassle. However, it just shows how **** the process is, two years of paying nothing and no challenge on my ticking a box means that they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in any sort of legal sense.

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, the process is completely inconsistent...I've had certificates but my last one expired at the end of July last year

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I applied for mine weeks ago now, phoned the helpline 2 weeks ago and they said they'd received my application but had to send it back as I'd not properly ticked the type 1 box, am still waiting for it to be returned... So it seems being type 1 has impaired my ability to tick boxes properly lol ;P

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Spoke to my pharmacist on Saturday.

They now ask for exemption cards.

If patient ticks boxes for exempt and they fo not see the card then they write.. Not seen... On front of form.

These forms are then sent (somewhere). These form checkeds are now checking all scripts where "not seen" has been marked on the scripts... And folk will be penalised...

Thats the rules for our pharmacists now..

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also just got the penalty charge notice through the letterbox today. It appears my exemption certificate has expired... I didn't even realise they did expire!!
Isn't diabetes a chronic condition for which currently there is no cure? We are not going to miraculously recover from the condition any day soon and no longer require meds , so why are we being persecuted by the NHS?
Why are our certificates not being automatically renewed? Isn't this condition challenging enough without this additional stress.
Is this just another unscrupulous way to get some more pennies into the NHS coffers??

Please let me know what others are doing...is anybody challenging these penalties?
Hi Roody,

I am currently challenging mine and it is in a status of "on hold". I sent an email to the BSA and they have been very good at responding. I have copied the email thread I have had with them so others can use the same arguments if necessary. I would at this stage recommend emailing them with a polite request appealing the fine if only to initially get it reviewed. I intend to escalate this to my MP etc... but at this stage am struggling with time to do this, but I will do it soon.

Good luck!

Jimski

//------------------ INITIAL EMAIL TO BSA

I am a Type 1 diabetic and was issued with an exemption certificate in 1992 when I attended University in Nottingham. This was then a paper certificate, and as far as I am aware had no expiry date on it. Unfortunately I no longer have the piece of paper that was issued.

I have not been told about needing to renew this by either the GP, pharmacist or the Business Services Authority in the years between 1992 - 2014 and the letter is the first I have heard of needing to renew it. My assumption was that I have had a valid certificate since 1992 and as my condition is chronic it would last until I die.

Upon receiving this letter I immediately requested an exemption certificate from my GP, this form should be with you now. It has a special request from my GP that in this case you are lenient. I have never tried to 'buck' the system and with a warning letter, or the ability to demonstrate I can obtain a valid certificate I would have quite happily gone to the GP and sorted out the required certificate.

I fully appreciate why you are carrying this out, and believe the revenue you achieve from targeting the dishonest members of society will help to finance other areas of the NHS. However, targeting Type 1 diabetics who are entitled to free prescriptions does not seem to be the right way of doing this, as they are neither being dishonest or trying to buck the system.

I hope you will look on my case favourably and appreciate that I certainly did not mean to be in breach of the prescription terms.

//------------------ BSA Response

Thank you for your email regarding prescription exemption checks.

We have checked our system and we have been unable to find a valid medical exemption certificate for you.

You have told us that you have previously been issued with a medical exemption certificate which you were not required to renew.

If you are able to locate this, can you please send a scanned copy of your medical exemption by reply to this email, or alternatively send this to us by post:

Prescription Exemption Checking Services (PECS)
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6SN

In order to investigate further, we will hold your case and charges. We will contact you when we have further information in due course.

If you require any further assistance, please contact us via email, or by telephone on 0300 330 9291.

//------------------ AFTER INITIAL EMAIL RESPONSE
Thanks very much for getting back to me reference my penalty charge. Unfortunately I have searched high and low for the paper certificate and cannot find it among my old certificates and University belongings and am therefore unable to provide it.

As mentioned in my submission through the web site, I requested a valid medical exemption certificate as soon as I found out that I needed one. In fact I have two now, since I was sent two with the following references 10077861646 (expires 04/11/2019) and10077886304 (expires 07/11/2019). Could you advise what I should do with the duplicate card and let me know which one I should keep?

I have a number of issues with the penalty:

1) The form has no method to appeal.
2) You have given me no way of putting this right and have seemingly found me guilty without consideration to the facts.
3) I have never been warned of this, whether it be by a Pharmicist, Doctor or the BSA.
4) I am entitled to free prescriptions due to the chronic nature of my condition, which I had assumed my old paper certificate was valid for life, especially since my condition will never change in my life time.
5) The BSA is targeting the wrong people and is not taking any consideration of the upset and harm that these fines and clearly causing people with Type 1 diabetes who have already had to endure the chronic illness for a long time, in my case 28 years. A quick review of the Diabetes.co.uk forums will see the evidence for this.

I also have some questions I'd like the answers to so that I can understand what the process has been here:

1) Do you verify the contents of the prescription which the penalty is raised against? I.e. if mine is for insulin, blood testing strips, high blood pressure pills etc... should there not be some due diligence to check on the patient's conditions before issuing this fine and causing the patient yet more suffering?
2) Are you carrying out similar penalties on cancer sufferers etc... or is it purely done on a random selection of people from a database?
3) Will you be sending communications to surgeries, clinics, pharmacists to ensure that they do not issue prescriptions without a valid warning to all diabetic patients, and any other patients who could have a valid exemption certificate?

As I intimated in my original web submission, I fully support the process of fining individuals who do not have a legitimate claim to free prescriptions, but for those of us that do, and can provide a certificate within days and which could be back dated to the year of diagnosis by their GP, it seems completely wrong.

Once again, thanks for responding to me so promptly and placing my penalty on hold until further consideration. I hope you can treat my case in a different light now that you have all the detail, along with a supporting document by my GP which is included on the exemption request form.

//------------------ FINAL BSA Response

Thank you for your email detailing your concerns. I have attempted to answer each of your concerns in turn below.

With regards to your duplicate Medical Exemption Certificates, both will be valid. It is up to you which certificate you wish to use when collecting your prescriptions.

The NHSBSA acts on behalf of the Secretary of State for Health to administer exemption schemes in line with The National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) Regulations 2000 (as amended) and, as such, has no authority to exercise discretion in waiving prescription costs; therefore there is no appeal process. Full legislation can be viewed atwww.legislation.gov.uk. The relevant part of this regulation relating to medical exemption is Regulation 7 (Exemptions).

It may be helpful to explain that, although you are diabetic and have been for a number of years, this does not automatically exempt you to free prescriptions. As you are now aware to entitle a patient to free NHS prescriptions, a Medical Exemption (Medex) certificate must be issued by the NHSBSA and be valid when NHS prescriptions are dispensed which I am pleased to see is now in place. To be clear, it is written in regulation that it is the Medex certificate that entitles a patient to free prescriptions, not the medical condition. Therefore, as you did not have a valid exemption certificate, you are liable for the charges.

It is apparent from your email that you were unaware that your certificate had expired and that you believed you were covered by a Medex received some 28 years ago whilst at University. I appreciate that you had assumed that you were in continuing receipt of a Medex as you had not received a replacement card and you were never informed by your GP or pharmacist for the need for this card. Whilst I understand your perspective, I must advise that it is the patient’s responsibility to check their eligibility for free NHS prescriptions, when signing the declaring that they have an exemption listed on the back of the prescription.

We do recognise that patients can and do make genuine mistakes when it comes to declaring whether they are exempt from prescription charges.

In response to other concerns you have raised; checks are based on a random sample. Prescription forms from patients who have claimed exemption from payment are checked to verify the accuracy of the exemption declared, rather than a check of the contents of the prescription. Where entitlement cannot be confirmed the patient is advised, sent a penalty charge notice and requested to confirm entitlement or pay applicable charges.

Regarding communications, I can confirm that booklets and leaflets have been distributed to GP’s and pharmacists including education on which benefits and exemptions are needed to allow patients to qualify for free prescriptions.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Whilst I do appreciate that my response may not be that which you had wished for, I do hope that you understand the reason for receiving the penalty charge notice.

If you require any further assistance, please contact us via email, or by telephone on 0300 330 9291.

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thks Jimski....I will also be challenging mine. My doctor has kindly agreed to write a letter for me...

Roody

msb03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have just received a letter saying i have to pay a £96 fine for not having a valid medical exemption certificate. I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1998 and have never paid for prescriptions since. Nobody has ever told me about this. Has anyone else had the same thing and if so what was the outcome?

Hi I have just received a letter from saying i don't have a valid medical expemption certificate with a fine of £132, i was diagnosed in 1988 and issued with a MEC then by my now defunt NHS Trust - having spoken to them they say its my fault as i should have renewed it when it expired, i said i was not aware of any expiry date and i have been gettting the same prescription for the past 26 years from the same pharmacy and have never been asked to produce it. I asked when all of this changed any they advised me the legislations it relates to dates back to 2000. I was advised to write to them with my complaint about there very heavy handed approach - watch this space - would love to know if other forum users have had any problems sucess etc

Jimski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And another! Probably over a thousand pounds of fines on this forum thread alone!

Challenge it Msb03!

msb03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And another! Probably over a thousand pounds of fines on this forum thread alone!

Challenge it Msb03!
Jimski, letter already in the post to them, copy going to MP and Dr.

Whilst I have no problems with people being fined for falsely claiming medical exemption, its the heavy handed way they do it, i was diagnosed in 1988 The BSA tell me the legislation came into effect in 2000, a further amendment was made in 2006.Its now 2015 and they've just started to use a hammer to crack a nut. Ths BSA when i spoke to them, after waiting 15 mins for them to stop repeating the same "sorry we are busy message|" every 15 seconds, told me there was no appeal, although they would put any further fines on hold whilst it was being reviewed. They have asked me to supply them with a copy of my original MEC issued back in 1988, although their records apparnetly don't go back that far as they were then issued by local Health Authorities, I advised them I am unable to locate a flimsy piece of card that was issued 26 years ago and had never been asked for, their response was tough! There appears to be no flexibilty for common sense, or for people like myself who did not know they were fraudulantly claiming prescriptions by not having a valid MEC when they thought they did and were totaly unaware of the change in entitlement as the rules changed some 12 years after my first and only "card" were issued. There is no joined up process between Pharmacies, Surgeries, Hospitals and the NHS adminstration that identifies people who may has slipped through the net

if this carries on i suppose i can look forward to being fined retrospectively for at least 12 prescritions a year for the last 21 year, plus all the surcharges -:arghh::mad::confused:

Roody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe we should be lobbying Theresa May....hasn't she recently been diagnosed with Type 1?

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Jimski, letter already in the post to them, copy going to MP and Dr.

Whilst I have no problems with people being fined for falsely claiming medical exemption, its the heavy handed way they do it, i was diagnosed in 1988 The BSA tell me the legislation came into effect in 2000, a further amendment was made in 2006.Its now 2015 and they've just started to use a hammer to crack a nut. :confused:
I'm 54 now and at the age of 18 I can remember being asked to produce my exemption card because I had a new surgery due to being away at agricultural college. I didn't have it with me as safe at home with parents. My insulin was withheld until certificate was produced.