Is a 'low' the same for everyone...

timewarp

Do people here have different low points?

What I mean is...is there a trigger point other than below 4 when a low is experienced for you?

For example I start to feel low at 4.4 this can then drop further and sometimes it does not

I hold the care plan for a T1 boy and he turns up and says he feels really low and the bg is 4.5 to 4.1 but he has all the same symptoms of a low
:|

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you hold 'normal' levels ie in the 6's or below then the lows would be 4 or below.If you have high BG's then sometimes you can feel 'low' at higher levels.It depends what your body is used to.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I don't seem to be affected by lows I've seen a 3.7 and 3.8 but if I hadn't tested wouldn't have known.

Graham

sandymaynard

Hi
If i get to 4.6 i get shaky,
By the time i get to 3.6 am shaky feeling dizzy etc.
By the words that Ken and sugarless sue has expained to me,I want to thank him very much, You can have a false hypo by blood sugar dropping so much!
It depends on what medication and how you react to low blood sugar! If you have high blood sugar and drops too quick then you can have a hypo!
I must admit i am going to give into medication on thursday! I have taken alot of advice from this forum!
The good people here have helped me so much and offered me such support! and been there for me!
Sandy

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I tested the other morning at 2.6, didn't feel a thing. And I can get well into double figures without noticing any difference which is equally irritating. Didn't used to be like that, but my autonomic nervous system is now shot so it's no surprise really... :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I get shaky at around 4'ish. Know to get some food inside me.
Have been as low as 3.2 which I don't like at all.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
it all depends what im doing when i go low, i sometimes feel dodgy at about 3mmol, but have been down to 2.3mmol before feeling slightly off :)

malky

generally i feel it at the high 3's low 4's but i havd tested and got 2.6 and not felt a thing. I think as said before sometimes it can just depend on what i am doing

anxietysucks

Shaky at around 4.1, way too anxious at around 8 or 9 if I've had a chocolate binge. If not then average is 6.1 over a month and I feel ok.

MelanieL

I'm just having a sit down and a cup of tea after a hasty snack to ward off a very shaky moment - 4.00 on the meter - I have been lower (3.3) and not felt any adverse effects, but today, my low point is higher!

lilibet

Varies

Was at 3.4 the other day, after night out, v surprised I didnt feel it as a few weeks before I was at 3.5 and there was no mistaking it (looked and felt post mortem!). Suspect alcohol had something to do with it though because I didnt feel it, I tested again and was 3.9. I always test 2x if im hypo and dont feel it.

Sometimes a fast drop can make me feel shaky but I've checked and been in the 5's and equally can start feeling a bit lightheaded if low 4's if Ive been stable most of the day.

My clinic dont want me to have a low A1c as they think it will lead to unawareness. Ive read conflicting views on this -ie autonomic neuropathies, having it long term, some insulins or yo yoing bg are to blame? Certainly dont intend raising A1c on the 'off chance'.
Tis nae fun being diabetic - devil and deep blue sea

Would you like shot madam, or will it be the stabbing for you? :lol:

chocoholic

I've been down as low as 1 something without realising but I've come to realise that whereas before I'd start to tremble, sweat and feel confused at about 4 or under, now all I seem to get is a headache as a warning sign and it's often much lower.

Trinkwasser

IMO it varies a lot, I can normally go down to about 3.5 before I fall off a cliff but have had worse symtpoms at 5.5 following a high, it can be the speed of the drop rather than the absolute number that does it.

It's the same with highs, if I concentrate I can notice an energy fall off around 7, by 8 it is obvious and by 10 I'm poleaxed. Yet some Type 1s can be up in the twenties with no symptoms . . .

whatashock

Just read this post, which is strange as I posted earlier as I have been feeling really bad all day. have been around 5.8 all day, which for me at the moment is lower than I have been since being diagnosed.

I am really happy with the level, just not the feeling.