Low Carb

javelinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading the latest blurb about diabetic control, low card diets and now fatty diets, I feel that I must express my experiences on this matter. I had tried everything under the sun on the advice of doctors, nurses and consultants and nothing worked. I am a fully qualified athletics coach and thought that I would give a try to the diet that athletes use. IT IS CALLED THE HAY DIET. It is very simple you can eat as much as you want providing that you do not mix proteins with carbs. FOR EXAMPLE YOU CAN HAVE A FULL ROAST DINNER USING TOP VEG , MEAT. BUT NO POTATOES. You need carbs for energy so the way to to make this diet work is to have 2 protein meals a day and one with carbs. Always remember that after your carb meal take your insulin and then your daily exercise. Doing it this way will help greatly with your blood/glucose control. From personal experience I found that my insulin intake dropped and my blood/sugar is virtually always between 6 and 9. The big plus is that you will lose weight, but to do this requires strict control and not mixing proteins and carbs.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
sounds intresting and im sure some would try but im a hardened lchf and swear by this for me i lovvvvvvvvve it

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Low carb diets were always "fatty" diets (except the ones that they used for clinical studies due to a fear of fat), just as low fat diets are high carb.

You say you've tried every diet under the sun. Are you saying none of the following diets worked for you?

LCHF
Atkins
Paleo
Vegan
Primal
Vegetarian

I would disagree that the human body needs carbs for energy. I don't and I'm a human! In fact, I went 3 days without eating ANYTHING last month and I did not drop dead. I actually felt fine and had no trouble going about my usual business. Right now I eat about 30 g of carbs a day, all from fresh garden veg. I feel great! And I run about 30 km a week and lift weights 5 days a week.

Many professional athletes also use a LCFH diet.

Reactions: 8 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I find carbs addictive. To have them at one meal would just leave me craving more of them. I'd rather keep them to a minimum.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you're only eating carbs at one meal a day, you are already severely cutting down on your carb intake. Unless you're eating super lean meat, then your likely eating lots of fat. HAY sounds like a low carb high fat diet to me.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry I disagree with this too about "needing carbs". I'm anything from 10 carb to 60g a day. Do a lot of physical work with my job which is gardening.

I have at one point of time added in carb pre gardening and during gardening of 17g but now I have my pump so finely well tuned I don't "need" those carbs...

I cannot figure out why I "need" to eat carbs. I eat good meat and good veg.. Nothing processed as such (do eat butter, cream and milk). Done this for over 40 years, never been overweight and no complications from diabetes.

So I would like to just ask - what gives you the impression that humans need carbs?

My carbs only increase to 60g if I have 1/2 a quiche after working.. Ither days its as low as 10-30g (excludes milk though.

I certainly couldn't eat a meal only consisting of carbs. I can certainly eat a meal of protein or fat without carbs or minimal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please can you give me an exame of a days meals for you?

I would love to try and get my head around this idea of 2 meals without and one with carbs..

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@javelinman

I forgot to add one point: if what you are doing works for you, then really that's the most important thing. And it's always nice when people are sharing their success stories. It just goes to show there's no one-size-fits-all solution!

I apologize if we haven't given you a very nice welcome. Carbs versus fat is a hot topic on this forum!

Please stick around and continue posting. We really need different points of view on this forum.

Reactions: 6 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
ok not for everyone but it worked for me. Lost 4 stone in 18 months.
thats great its whatever works for each of us as long as we moving in right direction the docs cant complain lol good luck to you x

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low Carb is the ideal diet for me, it's the one that keeps my blood sugars down, and I can lose weight on it, 5 stone so far.
My daily intake is

Stewed fruit, no sugar for breakfast, this is apples mixed with whatever is available, quite often it will be mixed berries
Lunch is cold meat, or egg mayonnaise, or fish with avocado or olives and some salad vegetables, cue, celery, peppers, tomatoes, followed by a piece of fruit.
Evening meal is meat and vegetables. I eat very little dairy produce as it causes gastric reflux and heartburn, cereals and bread/cake type products bloat me, and I'm not a fan of potatoes, unless they are roast or baked in their jackets.
My morning readings, before breakfast are around 4.6 and evening readings are usually below 6.
I did a test on my OH this morning, he is not a diabetic, and his sugar level was higher than mine.
The only medication I am on is 50mg of Januvia after my evening meal. Sugar levels are tested 2 hrs after that.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading the latest blurb about diabetic control, low card diets and now fatty diets, I feel that I must express my experiences on this matter. I had tried everything under the sun on the advice of doctors, nurses and consultants and nothing worked. I am a fully qualified athletics coach and thought that I would give a try to the diet that athletes use. IT IS CALLED THE HAY DIET. It is very simple you can eat as much as you want providing that you do not mix proteins with carbs. FOR EXAMPLE YOU CAN HAVE A FULL ROAST DINNER USING TOP VEG , MEAT. BUT NO POTATOES. You need carbs for energy so the way to to make this diet work is to have 2 protein meals a day and one with carbs. Always remember that after your carb meal take your insulin and then your daily exercise. Doing it this way will help greatly with your blood/glucose control. From personal experience I found that my insulin intake dropped and my blood/sugar is virtually always between 6 and 9. The big plus is that you will lose weight, but to do this requires strict control and not mixing proteins and carbs.
That would work and a way of getting carbs if you want to, Science is supporting you with splitting carbs from fats/protein, but you still need to watch your BG or be T1 for the carby meal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the Hay diet back in the 80s, I think. Or was it the early 90s?
I remember there was a time limit on how close you could eat carbs and fat. (details are hazy)

Even then, the amount of carbs was too high, and I ended up eating the protein meals all the time.
The only thing I really retained from that diet was a clear understanding of how protein and carbs are digested, and why combining the two often results in indigestion and flatulence.

LCHF works FAR better for me.