I want to be an Healthcare Assistant

A

Anonymous

Hi :) I am 19 and I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 5. Wondering if anyone can help me. I am thinking being an healthcare assistant. Will I be aloud because of me having type 1 diabetes? I have been reading about Healthcare Assistants and it says everyone needs a medical check what does this mean?

jopar

There is no problems with becoming a health care assistance with Type 1 diabetes, the medical checks are more than likley the general one, and you may be asked for more details of your control.. But this is very unlikely to effect anything..

There are many other types of health care professionals who are T1 diabetic, from nurses, doctors, midwifes etc...

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ditto what jopar says, you will be fine, have a look on nhs careers at health care assistants,it will show u the vacancies in your area :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Go for it!
it's a worthwhile job

anne 37

just seen your post im type 1 diabetic and work as a support worker dealing with adults who are disabled and have learning problems ,l work full time shifts and my employers have been fantastic in supporting me through some tough times recently ,also my consultant at clinic told me that diabetes is classed as a disability and if my work were not helping me l could take them to a tribuniral for disability discrimination ,although as l said they are gr8 with me ,l do have to have a risk assessment in place at work ,which all staff are made aware of should l take ill.if thats the type of job you want to do just go for it ,l done care work for 17years and love doing it ,just be honest with them from the start and tell them your a controlled diabetic if thats the case ,you,ll find ti a rewarding job lol but can be stressful at times ,but lets face it what job aint ,so good luck and hope your sucessful ,best wishes from anne x