How far apart.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Just wondering how much time you leave between each tablet?
I am on 2 Metformin a day which are slow release I take my first one at about 7.30 in the morning then the other about 6-7pm is this too long a gap or does it not really matter as long as you take them.
Thanks hope everyone is well.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it matters but, from memory, you have to take them with food I think.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you wasn't sure if there was a set rule or not.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Dibbles

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Snowy12
I was originally told to take my whole dose with evening meal, and the same when I was given the SR version. Information leaflets in packs said the same. However the slow release versions may not always cover 24 hours evenly, so sometimes it's better to split your dose and take half with your breakfast and half with evening meal. I prefer this option as I was getting a big dip around midnight, then high figures from late morning onwards the next day.

The only real way to tell which option works best for you is "asking" your meter as unfortunately not one way suits all. Frustrating isn't it!!

Robbity

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering how much time you leave between each tablet?
I am on 2 Metformin a day which are slow release I take my first one at about 7.30 in the morning then the other about 6-7pm is this too long a gap or does it not really matter as long as you take them.
Thanks hope everyone is well.
i take mine before brek and before tea but sometimes like today when i've been shopping and only just got in, I will take it now.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Snowy12
I was originally told to take my whole dose with evening meal, and the same when I was given the SR version. Information leaflets in packs said the same. However the slow release versions may not always cover 24 hours evenly, so sometimes it's better to split your dose and take half with your breakfast and half with evening meal. I prefer this option as I was getting a big dip around midnight, then high figures from late morning onwards the next day.

The only real way to tell which option works best for you is "asking" your meter as unfortunately not one way suits all. Frustrating isn't it!!

Robbity
i take mine before brek and before tea but sometimes like today when i've been shopping and only just got in, I will take it now.

Thank you I shall continue with taking it in 2 doses but will definately ask at my next DN appointment.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi snowy ...i take one over there and one over here::))
Hey Clive how are you keeping,for the moment going to stick with morning and night have doctors in 2 weeks trying to figure out if the rash I am covered in is due to the Metformin or not.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was told to take mine with the evening meal - but I never remember. I asked the nurse if I could take it in the morning with breakfast. No! take it in the evening. I ignored her advice and take it in the morning.

Reactions: 2 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was told to take mine with the evening meal - but I never remember. I asked the nurse if I could take it in the morning with breakfast. No! take it in the evening. I ignored her advice and take it in the morning.
Thanks definately a question to ask at my next appointment.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi snowy, much better got to see my doc' next tues to discuss bloods taken at guys, so i'm hoping all is ok, leastwise i feel ok ::))

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I take 1000mg 3 times a day, not always with food. I don't have no side effects from metformin sr.