Friends 10-12

daisydewdrop

So far I'm the only person I know my age with type 1 diabetes. I am 11 years old and was diagnosed in May this year and I would like a friend who knows what I'm going through and what it's like. I would like to know what you think of carbohydrate counting and how do you feel when you have a hyper or a hypo?

Happy_Horse

Hi i am 12 and type 1 diabetic. I started carb counting a little while ago an It can be a little confusing at first but it gets easier. It is basically just putting into a machine or pump how many carbs you will eat and it tells you what amount of insulin you need to take! The hospital will tell you more. About hypos, you only need to take a couple of sweets and you will be back to normal. Don't be scared of stories of people going unconscious, it's really rare!!! Xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisydewdrop

thanks for your reply happy horse. when did you get diagnosed with type 1? what are your feelings about having diabetes? I sometimes get upset about having diabetes, do you?

Sparklez

Hi when I was diagnosed it was really scary for me because my blood sugars were 19 and my ketones were 3.6 which is really dangerous for me!! Luckily they are OK now but I keep having loads of hypos! It's getting better but last week I was having 3 a day!! Has this happened to either of you? xx

Happy_Horse

Once I had loads of bad hypos on my first day having them and last week when I was on pony camp I had 3 per day too! It's really annoying!!!! I'm a bit worried coz I've had loads of tests recently for coeliac and I have had mixed results and I am "not bad enough" so I don't know if I'm having a biopsy or not :(

Hey
Im 11 ! Well, 12 in September!!! Ive been t1d for 3 years!!
•I havent started carb counting yet. •
• When I go low, i get extremely confused and shaky.•
• When Im high, I drink LOADS and go to the toilet alot•
When im high or low i can get quite aggressive xc

basketballjack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 10 and been dignosed 6 years. And when I'm low I feel shaky. also like the sport basketball.

aimee28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey my name is Aimee im 10 years old and been diagnosed since I was six