BYETTA

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hello everyone

Today I have been having the byetta coming back out of my body after injecting it - what am I doing wrong? I have had this problem all along (since the dose was bigger than 30 units) with the Lantus but have not had that problem with the Byetta until today. :? Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Jude.

What is the technique you use when injecting and where do you inject ?

This is termed 'splash back' and can sometimes be caused by trying to inject too fast. Always count up to ten when injecting Byetta then withdraw the needle.

Ken.

martinbuchan

I last was on the site about 20 pages ago. Now into on my 3rd month on Exenatide. I was on 100 levemir and 50-80 novorapid, with metformin before.

First month- no big changes- a little satiey control. No weight loss. No nausea

2nd month- decreasing novorapid to 40units per day.Levemir remains same dose. Better postprandial control. Morning BS not briliant (6-7). No nausea

3rd Month- wow . Weight down 6 lbs. Virtually no novorapid needed now. Apetite way down. A little nausea. Levemir might need to be reduced as morning BS getting low. Apetite way down and easily satiated.

Take exenatide in the morning as soon as I get to fridge and at 6pm regardless of when I eat. Now taking evening dose of metformin much later to counteract dawn effect. About to check A1c next week.

Charcot foot settled and almost quiescent. I stopped gym when it flared up at the end of last year. Now need to get some more exercise.

It is like a chemical gastric band (which we know is brilliant for overweight type 2s such as myself).

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Marty,

Good to hear from you and it sounds like things are looking up for you at long, long last. Especially good news about the improvement in your foot. So, it sounds like the Byetta was worth the long wait and fight to get it! Considering the huge doses of insulin that you were once on, being able to reduce to a minimum amount of basal is fantastic.

I know you were originally looking at sitagliptin (Januvia) as an alternative, but I wondered if you have come across any adverse reports on it among the medical journals? I have heard some stories of US physicians being reluctant to prescribe it because of fears that killing off DPP4 might not be such a clever idea!

martinbuchan

Hi Dennis

just been busy. A new beaver scout colony started in my village last september (45th Greenock and district. See me in a german 'youth' style shirt at http://www.greenockanddistrictscouts.or ... -district/). I became the group scout leader at a military style volunteering session (everyone else stepped backwards). It has taken over my life just as my private practice is building up again. I have managed to avoid personal development plans so far as a consultant surgeon- not so since joining the scouts after a 25 year gap. Great fun though. It was a Beaver bonfire night teepee sausage sizzle that flared up the Charcot foot last year.

ps- the basal insulin hasn't yet dropped- just the bolus insulin.

pps- never met anyone on sitagliptin yet. My diabetologist does not use it.

Cheers

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Ken

Could not get access to this site last evening so only just got your reply. However, have been doing exactly the same all through with Byetta, am injecting in my tummy - with the Lantus have tried going slow, fast, inbetween, I hold the needle in but still get the splashback but am hoping to be off that soon. I injected in my thigh this morning (byetta), no fluid came out but it was quite sore when the liquid went it - perhaps that is because I do not have too much fat around there (all my weight is in my trunk :lol: !!).

After forgetting my byetta on Tuesday evening, on Wednesday I was very unwell - headache & nausea again just like when I started the Byetta and the nausea has continued again all week and I had just about got rid of it!. I just keep telling myself it is early days and am hoping it will be worth it eventually.

Cheers. Jude

humph

Dennis said:
I know you were originally looking at sitagliptin (Januvia) as an alternative, but I wondered if you have come across any adverse reports on it among the medical journals? I have heard some stories of US physicians being reluctant to prescribe it because of fears that killing off DPP4 might not be such a clever idea!

My understanding is that killing off DPP4 leaves you more prone to cancer. This maybe why the FDA are yet to approve Vildagliptin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Jude said:
Hi Ken.
Could not get access to this site last evening so only just got your reply. However, have been doing exactly the same all through with Byetta, am injecting in my tummy - with the Lantus have tried going slow, fast, inbetween, I hold the needle in but still get the splashback but am hoping to be off that soon. I injected in my thigh this morning (byetta), no fluid came out but it was quite sore when the liquid went it - perhaps that is because I do not have too much fat around there (all my weight is in my trunk :lol: !!).
After forgetting my byetta on Tuesday evening, on Wednesday I was very unwell - headache & nausea again just like when I started the Byetta and the nausea has continued again all week and I had just about got rid of it!. I just keep telling myself it is early days and am hoping it will be worth it eventually.
Cheers. Jude

Hi Jude.

Certainly looks like you are doing everything right. I presume you are pinching the flesh , then injecting. When you do that as you pull the needle out the puncture hole will close up on different levels so minimising any 'splash back.' If the problem persists you may not be getting the full dosage of either treatment ? That can have an effect on how you feel.

As for injecting in the thigh, I too have skinny legs and it is quite painful. I stick to my now, rapidly reducing tummy area. :D

Some slight nausea can occur even when well used to the drug. I sometimes feel a little unwell but very rarely. Does get better with time, usually.

I would recommend that you discuss this with your health team at the earliest opportunity.

Ken.

akela

Hi Ken
Just had some great success. My morning fasting BS is 5.3 from 9.8 before Byetta. Been on Byetta 6 weeks now and still feel sick occasionally but the diarhea has stopped.
So to all just starting out on Byetta stick to it. It seems to work.
Off to DN tomorrow to get weighed feel like I have lost weight.
Sue :D

akela

Hi Marty B
Welcome to a fellow scouter. I Have been volunteered by my son for 19 years in scouting and it is the best thing that has happened to me.
My group is 1st Oldham scouts and we run all 3 sections.
My fellow leaders (including my son who is 24 and a leader) and myself are off to Sherwood forest i 10 weeks for a week long camp taking 18 youth aged from 8 to 16.
Nice to hear from you
Sue (akela)

cugila

Master
Dislikes

akela said:
Hi Ken
Just had some great success. My morning fasting BS is 5.3 from 9.8 before Byetta. Been on Byetta 6 weeks now and still feel sick occasionally but the diarhea has stopped.
So to all just starting out on Byetta stick to it. It seems to work.
Off to DN tomorrow to get weighed feel like I have lost weight.
Sue :D

Hi Sue.

Well done you. You know it works and you are reaping the benefits. :D
Let us know how you get on at the DN appointment ?

Ken.

martinbuchan

Hi Akela Sue

good to hear you are doing well. I reduced my levemir for the first time in ages yesterday- the Byetta seems to be kicking in now in the third month of use. My novorapid is less athan a quarter than it was before I started byetta. Just amazing.

I did my first sleepover 2 weekends ago witht he beavers- good fun. We will start our cub section after the summer. I will be getting my wood badge after the summer.

Good to see a fellow scouter here.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Martin.
Nice to meet you. I am fairly new around here but have seen your posts.

I was in the Cubs and was in the Scouts for one day ! Does that count ? :D

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Sue

Am interested to know how long it took before your morning numbers came down. Have been on Byetta 3 weeks tomorrow and the figure I am most struggling with is the morning. I am still suffering with continuous nausea (thought it had gone) and am extremely tired - I so want the Byetta to help me but am so struggling at present. Am due to see a Consultant on Wednesday for the first time (because I am still on small amount of Lantus) and I just know that he will trot out all the "figures in boxes" that I am not achieving!!
I asked for Byetta last November because the Gliclazide had increased my weight and the DSN would not put me on it because of my IBS but put me on Lantus and I have put even more weight on. Funny isnt it - they will be telling me that I need to lose weight but they keep putting me on medication that makes it worse!! :?
Are you on the 10 pen now? I am going to ask if I can stay on the 5 pen for a little longer because am going away for three days over the bank holiday and am due to start a new pen on the Wednesday - do hope the medics will oblige!!
Thanks in advance of your input. Jude :lol:

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

HIYA KEN OR DENNIS
been on 10mg for 3weeks now wont repeat my past history you know that, but felt bit sick fri sat sun dont seem to be able to keep red meat down for some reason had bit steak tonight very rare i have some but up it come ,anyway swimming going well up to 10 lenghts now i will swim that channel yet :lol: right this is how it is i have lost 8lbs in 6weeks feel good till whoops this weekend starting feeling bit sick but however after swimming blood is usually around 5 today 4.1 had coffee and some fruit back up to 6 felt ok is that ok am i doing it right i dont want to start thinking its the 10 byetta making me feel sick fingers crossed after my previous attempt it might be i have over done it this weekend as i had very busy weekend with my grandson and swimming my daughterinlaw tells me i aint ready to accept i getting older but then are any of us :lol: let you know how it goes night vivkaroo xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Viv.
The occasional setback is par for the course. Sometimes if you eat a bit too much it can have an effect. There are also some people who swear that eating a Ginger biscuit can help with any nausea ? Try to stick with it and take it a bit easier.

Your weight loss is really good and it shows that what you are doing is right. You obviously know that when your Bg drops to get some quick acting sugar into yourself, glucose tabs, fruit ,sweets, Lucozade just to lift the levels a little. Then a small snack to keep the level up.

Ken.

oracle33

Hi all,

Another newbie to join the gang. I started byetta last Friday after being on insulin for 3 years. I had a bit of nausea but nothing staggering. My appetite has gone to zero and I am eating a lot less than before. I was advised to stop all my insulin as byetta isnt recommended with insulin but my bloods have gone from a steady 7.0 to a frightening 15.3. I notice some people on here are reducing their insulin rather than the cold turkey Im doing. Should I be suggesting this to my nursey?

Paul

humph

Two and a half months in now, still on the 5 micro gram pen, suspect my consultant will keep that the same when I see him in a weeks time.

Bs at 6.9 prior to meal tonight, Bs two hours later 6.9, so looking good, I think.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

oracle33 said:
Hi all,

Another newbie to join the gang. I started byetta last Friday after being on insulin for 3 years. I had a bit of nausea but nothing staggering. My appetite has gone to zero and I am eating a lot less than before. I was advised to stop all my insulin as byetta isnt recommended with insulin but my bloods have gone from a steady 7.0 to a frightening 15.3. I notice some people on here are reducing their insulin rather than the cold turkey Im doing. Should I be suggesting this to my nursey?
Paul

Hi Paul.
Welcome to the forum.
Have a good look around and ask all you need.

Looking at the Bg numbers I think you should discuss this with your GP ASAP as they are not good. Are you taking any other medication with the Byetta ?

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Viv,

When you move up to the 10mcg pen dose, it is possible to get a recurrence of the early nausea anything up to 5 or 6 weeks later - not common but has been reported by some.

If you remember, one of the things that Byetta does is to slow down the rate at which food is digested. Most people find that red meats are harder to digest than white meats or fish, so a combination of a meat that is hard to digest, eaten at a time when your digestive system is getting used to working at a different rate, might just be a bit too much for it to cope with at this stage. What I would suggest is that you avoid the red meats and try chicken, turkey, ham or fish for a week and see if you find them easier to digest. Not forever - just give yourself a bit longer to get acclimatised to the stronger dose.