LCHF weight gain

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2.7lbs is nothing to be concerned about. We can gain or lose that much in a day depending what time we weigh ourselves. But you have had good advice above. You are stressing too much.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Average day would be Greek yogurt for breakfast or noting if I'm not hungry. Lunch 3 slices of streaky bacon and 1 fried egg. Dinner steak or pork chop with egg and mushrooms sautéed in butter and maybe some peanuts later if I'm Pekish

If the only veg I was eating every day was mushrooms (virtually nil fibre) then I would be seriously constipated - and that could easily explain the weight gain.

Personally, I probably eat 500+ g of veg and 50-100g berries a day.

On a day when I eat a green smoothie, I have that amount by the end of lunch, then eat another 300g with my evening meal.

Eating low carb does NOT mean eating only fat and protein.
It is an opportunity to eat masses of filling, satisfying salad, veg and a bit of fruit, resulting in (IMHO) a far more nutritious and varied diet than when half the bulk is taken up with nutrient deficient carby pap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do try and up the veg content as @Brunneria has said. It's not a great idea to overdo the protein in lieu of carbs as the kidneys don't like it. Far better to eat lower carb veg to fill you up. Peppers are lovely roasted with a red onion and courgettes and lots of garlic and thyme. Or you can make a lovely mash from cauli with some cheese and cream or butter. Cabbage is your friend too, and spinach. Have a bowl of salad with your evening meal or make homemade coleslaw with red and white cabbage, bit of carrot, onion. Asparagus and tenderstem broccoli are lovely steamed and dotted with butter or just plain - they go really well with pork and lamb. I like to roast a swede if we're having roast dinner in place of spuds- peel , chunk and parboil for 10 minutes or so then toss in hot oil and cook like roasties. Swede is also delicious boiled with a few carrots and mashed with butter and black pepper. You can use this or the cauli mash to have on top of a shepherd's pie - the cauli one would work on a fish pie too.
Just because you can't eat the big carbs doesn't mean you can't have a varied diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
I guess I have been neglecting the veg side of things which is not like me as I love veg having lamb tonight with carrots cabbage sprouts and green beans and a Little gravy

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@turvell do you weigh and log the calorie content of what you are eating.... perhaps you could sign up for myfitnesspal and try to log what you are eating to see if you are in fact eating too many or too few calories. Do some research there are loads of sites offering advice for those not loosing weigh on a Low Carb diet - ie http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

I know I dont loose weight every week - but I have definitely lost inches...

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Average day would be Greek yogurt for breakfast or noting if I'm not hungry. Lunch 3 slices of streaky bacon and 1 fried egg. Dinner steak or pork chop with egg and mushrooms sautéed in butter and maybe some peanuts later if I'm Pekish
Sorry to appear a pain but quoting an average day is still not a lot of good. If you really want good advice, keep a food diary and list exactly what you eat and the amounts for a while. Without wishing to appear negative, unless you record things, little snacks can sometimes be overlooked or portion sizes can get out of hand.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the only veg I was eating every day was mushrooms (virtually nil fibre) then I would be seriously constipated - and that could easily explain the weight gain.

Personally, I probably eat 500+ g of veg and 50-100g berries a day.

On a day when I eat a green smoothie, I have that amount by the end of lunch, then eat another 300g with my evening meal.

Eating low carb does NOT mean eating only fat and protein.
It is an opportunity to eat masses of filling, satisfying salad, veg and a bit of fruit, resulting in (IMHO) a far more nutritious and varied diet than when half the bulk is taken up with nutrient deficient carby pap.

Yes,the high volume of veg is what I enjoy. The varieties and different ways of cooking them means it doesn't have to be boring. Add to the veg the amount of protein and fat that seems right for me, but veg is the main component of meals to suit my own needs. Maybe we all need to find our own personal level of fat, but one thing certain, need to be low carb.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say, the advice being given in this thread is excellent.
Thank you LCHFers.

I know I took far too literally the HIGH fat component. I am not able to digest the amounts of fat some people can, but it is so easy to overdo the fat/calories if you eat a lot of nuts cream and cheese. Won't be doing that again, but small amounts of these with vegetables are much better than the standard NHS advice of carbs with every meal.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a matter of interest, @turvell , is your priority BG control or weight loss?

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As a matter of interest, @turvell , is your priority BG control or weight loss?
weight loss my blood sugars are pretty much the same what ever it eat

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
weight loss my blood sugars are pretty much the same what ever it eat

So you have good BG control? What sort of figures? I am assuming you test regularly, but perhaps you rely on HbA1c tests?

I know, I am nosey, and I am probably not best person to advise on LCHF, but the info I am asking for will help others with more knowledge and experience of LCHF to give relevant advice, I hope. I am learning all the time from these guys.

I would have thought if you just want to lose weight you would need to be aware of the quantities of calorie dense fats you were eating? Hopefully someone will clarify or explain?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I counted calories long with the carbs to lose weight- some do , some don't - but because I love cheese even more than carbs , I knew I'd have to watch the fat too. I have never felt starved as on other diets and if hungry, have just had slightly bigger portions of veg to fill me up along with a small cheese portion or few nuts. I also upped my fluids as sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... but small amounts of these with vegetables are much better than the standard NHS advice of carbs with every meal.

AFAIK Pipp, there's actually no harm in eating carbs with every meal if they are part of your LOW carb veggies and berries. I prefer to spread mine out if possible to avoid giving my pancreas too much work at one tinme.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AFAIK Pipp, there's actually no harm in eating carbs with every meal if they are part of your LOW carb veggies and berries. I prefer to spread mine out if possible to avoid giving my pancreas too much work at one tinme.

Robbity

Apologies, I did not make myself clear. What I meant was the advice I was given to eat large amounts of carbs at each meal. In fact the advice 20 years ago from a dietician, when I did not have diabetes, but started to gain weight after an accident was that I ought to have complex carbs on at least half of my plate at each meal.

Thank you for pointing that out, it looked as though I was suggesting daily carbs should all be eaten in one sitting. I agree that any carbs should be spread throughout the meals for the day.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
It could be that your not eating enough. But also it could be that you ARE losing fat, but gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Have you found your clothes are looser?

Actually a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat!

However it is not as bulky as fat, hence looser clothes if you have better toned muscles.

Reactions: 5 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm going to re balance my portions next week. Less meat n fat more veg n salad

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Think I disagree. With your diet / exercise routine (currently) keep with it then do your weights next week. Up the fats (do NOT drop them back) and increase the veg for sure and then report back.

One or two weeks deviations (be it weight, BS) proves nothing to anyone, but to you, they're the "be all and end all". You are stressing again mate :) Can you please take it easy? You'll be fine

Mike