Dvla

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've sent off for to renew my provisinal license got letters back today to fill in for my diabetes and it says once I've sent them back they will let me know within six weeks if they will let me have a license or not, is there any reason why they will not give me one? I've had to cancel my theory test until I've received my new license and I'm currently having lessons but a little scared if they don't let me have a license I'm having lessons for nothing :(

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
I had the same query spoke to my diabetic nurse and she said there was absolutely no reason why I couldn't drive as long as I can read a license plate from 20 metres and when if I have a hypo I can recognise the signs and treat accordingly. Only other thing that could stop you is if you have had 2 hypos in the past 12 months that have resulted in 3rd party assistance i.e trip to hospital or and ambulance being called. I have just sent mine of and I am waiting to hear back from them. Only slightly annoying thing is that you need to test your blood sugatr before driving and every two hours after to make sure you blood sugar is above 5 if its below you have to eat something then wait 45 minutes before driving. If you were to have an accident the first thing you need to do after is to test you blood sugar to rule out hypo as a cause. As driving while having a hypo has similar consequences to driving drunk.

Thats what I know have found out not 100% sure its accurate but I am sure someone will be along to correct me if i am wrong getting used to this type 1 malarkey as only recently diagnosed but as I plan on becoming a driving instructor in November it was the first thing I checked. In Resuscitation believe it or not had bigger things to worry about but i love driving so it was first thing that came in to my mind.

Apparently you cant become a pilot though but that is the only thing I have been told cant do just lots of paperwork for everything else

Reactions: 2 people

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first got diagnosed 3 years ago I had a couple of hypos no bad ones though ones I could treat myself haven't had any for 2 n a half years, I need to test my eyes then and make sure I can read a number plate from 20 meters.

Will they get in contact with my consultant at the hospital?

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah they send the consultant and your doctor a form to fill out. You dont need any special test just go outside pace 20 metres turn around and try and read a number plate tick a box on the form and your done. When you go for your test its all the examiner will do.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I first got diagnosed 3 years ago I had a couple of hypos no bad ones though ones I could treat myself haven't had any for 2 n a half years, I need to test my eyes then and make sure I can read a number plate from 20 meters.

Will they get in contact with my consultant at the hospital?

You should be fine, they may/may not write to your Consultan or GP to ask for additional information, if you do struggle to read the number plate then go to your opticians for a eye test and get some glasses or contact lenses for driving.

Good luck and hope you get through your theory and driving tests.

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've sent off for to renew my provisinal license got letters back today to fill in for my diabetes and it says once I've sent them back they will let me know within six weeks if they will let me have a license or not, is there any reason why they will not give me one? I've had to cancel my theory test until I've received my new license and I'm currently having lessons but a little scared if they don't let me have a license I'm having lessons for nothing :(
Im in the exact same situation had a letter back yesterday , how im having my licence revoked , for a temp one :(

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The process is a bit of a pain but its to stop the people that really shouldn't be driving. Some people don't get any warning that they are having a hypo. Hypo while driving would be incredibly dangerous if you didn't realise that you are having one would be like driving drunk. I just wish it was a little quicker as I have 6 weeks to wait now to see what happens there shouldn't be a reason for it to be revoked but there is always that thought in the back of my mind and I need my license to pay the bills.

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got to wait 6 weeks for a decision I'm the mean time I've had to stop having my lessons :(

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why stop the lessons? You are still covered to drive unless informed otherwise.

Ali

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got to wait 6 weeks for a decision I'm the mean time I've had to stop having my lessons :(

Did they say that you couldn't drive whilst awaiting their decision, if not you should ring them in the morning and ask if you can still drive.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No but I haven't got a valid licence atm so shouldn't really be on the road
If you had a valid licence that you had to renew then just ring the DVLA to confirm you are still entitled to drive. If you check the DVLA site you will find the info somewhere on there :)

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My old licence had run out some years ago so shouldn't really be on the road until I've got a valid one :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My old licence had run out some years ago so shouldn't really be on the road until I've got a valid one :(

You are being treated as new licence application as it's a provisional licence that has expired, this takes longer than a straight forward renewal. So basically you def can't drive as no licence and no ins to do so. Hope they sort it soon for you though.

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my licence back few weeks ago on a 3 year restricted, tback taking driving lessons again, theory test done little car bought now just need to pass my test no stopping me now :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got my licence back few weeks ago on a 3 year restricted, tback taking driving lessons again, theory test done little car bought now just need to pass my test no stopping me now :)

Excellent :)

david6026

Hi I'm restricted to a year licence and have to do 3 medicals each year before they renew it as I drive lorry I test about 8 times a day and always have lucozade in lorry with me just incase ... It's a pain having to do it all again in 2 months but I just drive away when it's in process of being renewed as my doc said I'm fit to drive in medical but takes ages for muppets to sort the renewal out ...