Advice needed

niknak15

So I'm fasting for basal testing between 7pm to 5 am, my dsn said I could eat a protein meal so I'm not totally starving, I was going to have an omelette... But after recently reading what ppl have said about the effects of protein on there bs I'm not sure this is wise for my fast....

What's ppls experience?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't eat during a basal fasting check.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dsn said I could if it was carb free. Since I don't take bolous for protein...

Just go with what your nurse says niknak, but protein in the absence of carbs converts to glucose by around 50%, albeit at a much slower rate than carbohydrates do.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
she may find all here patients basal rates are out and everyone's scratching their head. where are the hypo's and the crazy I:C ratios coming from?

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar free jelly and cream wards off the hungry feelings, and shouldn't raise your BG by much .

But pretty much everything converts to glucose eventually, so for an accurate picture I agree with @noblehead .

Signy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@niknak15, just to be clear, do you mean eating the omelette during the test or before?

niknak15

I ment eating before my fast started, but didn't want to have insulin within the 4 hours before my fast started. I decided not to eat in the end :)

I don't have problems with basal rates, just doing it for pump trial data etc

Thanks all :)

Reactions: 3 people